Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ghost Town - village for handsize reduction  (Read 4847 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Ghost Town - village for handsize reduction
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:48 am »

$4
+2 Actions
If you have less than four cards in hand, draw until you have four cards

your thoughts? too niche?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Town - village for handsize reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:10 am »

It would probably alright as a $2. It's not worth $4, that's for certain, considering one of the design contest cards was the same thing, but with draw up to 5, and that was apparently no better than normal village.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:54:59 am »

I think the fact that is awful in Kingdoms with no handsize reduction (which is not uncommon) is too bad. Also, Shanty Town seems better more often than not, and its not an especially beloved card. How about adding some filtering of green cards and/or curses to the draw similar to Library's? That would make it have a taste to Farming Village some times. Or maybe even filtering treasures, that would be new and kind of a nice reflection of Library for actions instead of a good money hand.

Ghost Town - $3
+2 Actions
If you have less than 4 cards, draw until you have 4 cards in hand. You may set aside any Treasure cards drawn this way, as you draw them; discard the set aside cards after you finish drawing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:37:43 am »

The if statement is redundant.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »

As redundant as this:
Quote from: Ghost Ship Card Text
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 3 cards in his hand.

I thought I just mimic the idea, avoids raising unnecesary questions.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:22:39 pm »
+2

$4
+2 Actions
If you have less than four cards in hand, draw until you have four cards

your thoughts? too niche?

...fewer than four cards...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:30:04 pm »

I would just try to borrow the wording from library since it has the same basic mechanic.

As it is, i think its going to be very niche. It won't work with decent draw engines and you need to play at least 2 of these without card draw and a terminal in between to get even 1 card of draw. The sifting could be a good addition, but I think it's going to need some other sort of power boost. Maybe give it a +buy so you can load up on them easier?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:18:10 pm »

As redundant as this:
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 3 cards in his hand.

Hm, interesting point about Ghost Ship.  But as jonts points out, Library (and Watchtower and Jack of All Trades) are better models.

I'm not sure why Ghost Ship specifies hand size.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »
+1

Hm, interesting point about Ghost Ship.  But as jonts points out, Library (and Watchtower and Jack of All Trades) are better models.

FWIW, I agree with you both, I just used this because is "safer". Anyway, we are digressing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 06:04:28 pm »

OK, well, I agree with jonts.  Draw to 4 is quite weak.  It would only be useful in extremely niche cases, probably fewer scenarios than Shanty Town.  ST is easier to activate, I think, if you have few actions or have all cantrips. 

WanderingWinder's winning contest entry Production Village is the same as this, except it draws to 5.  Here is a thread with some playtesting thoughts.

With draw to 4, I think I would start testing at $2.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:55:24 am »

what about if trashes from hand before drawing?  That way it's pretty much guaranteed to draw at least 1.

EDIT: that doesn't work well with hand-size reduction.  ah well.  Maybe the trashing could be optional.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:56:58 am by flies »
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:26 am »

As redundant as this:

Ghost Ship which doesn't specify handsize wouldn't work the same, actually.

If you started with 2 or 1 cards in hand (Torturer, Bishop, Vault, Cutpurse, Bureaucrat, Governor, Masquerade), then Ghost Ship without the handsize requirement would cause you to put all your remaining cards on your deck. Alternatively, Ghost Ship could have said "Each other player puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 3 or fewer cards in his hand."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:51:40 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:41 am »

GendoIkari, that's what I meant. Why does it specify starting hand size?

flies, a trashing village would have to be cost higher or weakened in some way. Compare with Upgrade. Cantrip trashing is strong.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:27:15 pm »

GendoIkari, that's what I meant. Why does it specify starting hand size?

flies, a trashing village would have to be cost higher or weakened in some way. Compare with Upgrade. Cantrip trashing is strong.

I'm confused about your question. It specifies starting hand size because if it didn't, then it could cause a player to have to return their entire hand to the deck. The starting handsize requirement is needed to prevent that. True that it could have used "or fewer" instead of the starting handsize requirement. Either way you have a clause which is redundant in most situations, but necessary in edge cases. Just like how Madman says "if you do".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »

Alternatively, Ghost Ship could have said "Each other player puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 3 or fewer cards in his hand."

This is what I meant.  Why didn't it use this wording, which is more concise and consistent with other cards like Militia?

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »

A village is in a weird position when dealing with handsize reduction anyway because other "Draw up to" cards are terminals. Most of the cards that work with current "draw up to" are already villages: Festival, Fishing Village, Shanty Town, Inn, and Native Village.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »

Alternatively, Ghost Ship could have said "Each other player puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 3 or fewer cards in his hand."

This is what I meant.  Why didn't it use this wording, which is more concise and consistent with other cards like Militia?

Ah ok. Well "or fewer" would probably lead to some rules questions I think.... for one, a new player would be confused as to why it's there, since it makes them think that maybe Ghost Ship could cause them to go below 3 cards.

Also, depending on exactly how you read the rules, it isn't completely clear that "or fewer" would solve the problem... if you read the instructions in order, then you would put 1 card back, then check to see if you meet the "3 or fewer" requirement... meaning that if you started with 3 cards, you might think you have to put 1 back still. Although to be fair, Library and the others have this same thing.

I dunno, it's inconsistant, but I think Ghost Ship wording is clearer.

khanh93

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

The two wordings of Ghost Ship are functionally different. As written, Horse Traders' reaction is a hard counter. In the "put cards on deck until you have 3 left in hand" version, HT is only a partial counter.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:33 pm »

The two wordings of Ghost Ship are functionally different. As written, Horse Traders' reaction is a hard counter. In the "put cards on deck until you have 3 left in hand" version, HT is only a partial counter.

How? HT should still react the same way.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:17:24 pm »

How? HT should still react the same way.

Pretty sure you're right. But I just realized that I should have listed Horse Traders in my list of cards that could cause you to have a handsize of less than 3. Ooh, also Market Square.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.305 seconds with 20 queries.