Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1170533 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4475 on: July 20, 2014, 03:33:35 pm »
+9

well to be fair, I always thought you were called KingZong, and in my dream you were called KingZong, so it was correct in that context. i dreamt about KingZong, even if that's not you  :P

Is your world shattered now? You finally actually read my username :P

what happened to KingZog1 and 2 anyway?

KingZog4 and I don't talk about them.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: July 20, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »
+4

Great, now I want to create a fake account named KingZog2 and post, "Miss me, bitches?!"
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: July 20, 2014, 04:42:47 pm »
+8

Great, now I want to create a fake account named KingZog2 and post, "Miss me, bitches?!"

I want theory to create a new admin account named KingZong, from which he shall conduct all future user bans.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: July 20, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »
+3

I want theory to create a new admin account named KingZong, from which he shall conduct all future user bans.

And instead of being banned, it says you've been Zonged. "User has been Zonged for this post"

KingZog2

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: July 20, 2014, 04:57:55 pm »
+3

How dare you say you don't talk about me! I'm your sister from Seaside! Uuuurrg I hate you #3!!

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: July 20, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
+2

I was doing my calculus homework today and I kept getting a problem wrong. (it is online and tells you if you are correct)
Apparently my error was that I put log instead of ln. This made me mad, since log should be the same thing as ln.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: July 20, 2014, 06:09:38 pm »

That's stupid.  Log should always mean natural log. Other bases are only used for edge cases, and of course they're simply a multiple anyway.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: July 20, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »

I never use ln because with my handwriting it's hard to tell what it is. But "log" is always discernible.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:15:55 pm by Witherweaver »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: July 20, 2014, 06:10:50 pm »

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: July 20, 2014, 06:16:01 pm »
+1

That's stupid.  Log should always mean natural log. Other bases are only used for edge cases, and of course they're simply a multiple anyway.
I think log should never be used for natural log. If you want to use natural log, write ln, use log only if it doesn't matter e.g. ( O(log(n)) ) or if you specify the base

it's also not true not you don't need any other bases. it probably depends in what context you're in, but log with base 2 definitely isn't irrelevant.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: July 20, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure that popular convention says that log(x) is base 10 unless otherwise specified.  That's what I learned, that's what my calculators did, and that's what Google does with their online calculator.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: July 20, 2014, 07:14:18 pm »
+3

I'm pretty sure that popular convention says that log(x) is base 10 unless otherwise specified.  That's what I learned, that's what my calculators did, and that's what Google does with their online calculator.

Depends on the field.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: July 20, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »

Depends on the field.

Mm, fair enough.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:30 pm »

In the context of my calculus homework, it would be pretty clear that log means natural log.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: July 20, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »

Depends on the field.

I've seen several people say this on this forum and I would love to know in what field(s) this is correct.  Is it a mathematician thing, perhaps?  Between degrees in chemistry, chemical engineering, and neuroscience, including two years of physics and two years of calculus, plus a decade and a half of various reading, I have never encountered this.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: July 20, 2014, 09:15:28 pm »

Depends on the field.

I've seen several people say this on this forum and I would love to know in what field(s) this is correct.  Is it a mathematician thing, perhaps?  Between degrees in chemistry, chemical engineering, and neuroscience, including two years of physics and two years of calculus, plus a decade and a half of various reading, I have never encountered this.

I definitely found that when I first learned about logarithms, Log was base 10 and ln base e, but I've increasingly seen log for natural log starting with high school calculus I think. I think it's mostly a mathematician thing, but I feel like I've also seen it in physics, chemistry, and computer science. My favorite is lg for base 2 though.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: July 20, 2014, 09:29:37 pm »

Depends on the field.

Mathematician here.  When teaching calculus, log to me means base 10, and ln means base e.  Beyond that level, I almost never say "natural log", I just say "log" and hope the listener assumes it's base e.  I still might write ln though (with a cursive l, so it won't look like a 1).

In any case, mostly the constant multiple difference doesn't matter anyway in my experience.  I imagine that would be different as soon as you try to apply it to the "real" world.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: July 20, 2014, 10:03:24 pm »

I imagine that would be different as soon as you try to apply it to the "real" world.

Darned mathematicians.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: July 20, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »

Depends on the field.

Mathematician here.  When teaching calculus, log to me means base 10, and ln means base e.  Beyond that level, I almost never say "natural log", I just say "log" and hope the listener assumes it's base e.  I still might write ln though (with a cursive l, so it won't look like a 1).

In any case, mostly the constant multiple difference doesn't matter anyway in my experience.  I imagine that would be different as soon as you try to apply it to the "real" world.

Does nobody else pronounce ln as "lawn"?  That's what we always did.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: July 20, 2014, 10:21:48 pm »

Depends on the field.

Does nobody else pronounce ln as "lawn"?  That's what we always did.

Many people I know say "lin" or "el en"
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: July 20, 2014, 11:49:32 pm »

Depends on the field.

Mathematician here.  When teaching calculus, and any math course, and anywhere throughout life, unless you like to measure earthquake intensities, log means base e.

Base 10 is silly.  No one does that.  We write it "log" because we call it "log", because it's the log.  You don't need to specify the base, because of course you're going to use the natural base.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: July 20, 2014, 11:49:46 pm »

I mean.. it's the natural one.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: July 20, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »

False.  The normal convention is "log(x)" is in base e.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: July 20, 2014, 11:53:44 pm »

but why would you even want to use log for ln? just write ln. it's shorter and cleaner.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: July 20, 2014, 11:57:17 pm »

but why would you even want to use log for ln? just write ln. it's shorter and cleaner.

It's not cleaner.  It's Latin, and doesn't even look right.  You don't see "ln" and say "log", you see "log" and say log.

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 201  All

Page created in 1.516 seconds with 21 queries.