Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1169400 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4375 on: July 17, 2014, 05:55:52 am »

Super Mario 3D World is excellent, but you mentioned that already. If you like puzzle games, Pushmo World is downloadable.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: July 17, 2014, 07:18:27 am »

Well apparently I haven't bought a Wii U because my order got cancelled for some reason :P. So time to re-order it I suppose...

I'll be getting a Wii U when the new Smash Bros arrives. Mainly I want it for that and Bayonetta 2.

I'm definitely looking forward to Smash, and Xenoblade X looks incredible - like a better Xenoblade and that's one of the best games of last gen, so, yeah.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: July 17, 2014, 07:47:29 am »
+1

Well apparently I haven't bought a Wii U because my order got cancelled for some reason :P. So time to re-order it I suppose...

Soon you'll be sitting with two Wii Us. :D It happened to us recently. So we have 200 spare phones in our office. We're usually ~5 people working.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4378 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:21 am »

The new Thor will be a woman.

"Because Disney sees the popularity of the character, portrayed by Chris Hemsworth, among women." (But does not realize most women like men, and could care less about his super-hero status.)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:03 am »

Yeah. We'll see how well this new Thor will do. I imagine the comic might be popular amongst boys that are not hard core fans of the old Thor.

I do think this is a pretty bold move from Marvel, though. And that's what I find interesting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: July 17, 2014, 09:22:23 am »
+3

The Landnámabók says Loki and Thor, not Loki and Taylor!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:36 am »

I'm from a former norse country, and I even have a norse name. They're called Loke and Tor here. But then again, we have people called Björn (the noun bear in Swedish), Sten (the noun stone) and Stig (the noun path). Names are silly!

I did find the joke funny, though. ;)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:04 am »

Ah, well.. there could probably be a better joke made by someone that actually knows the culture and language.. plus, finding an American girl's name to rhyme with "Thor" was hard.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:58 am »

The thing is:

"This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR."

Again, I still found the joke funny.

[EDIT:] And of course we have a female version of the name Tor. It's Tora.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: July 17, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »

Ah, well.. there could probably be a better joke made by someone that actually knows the culture and language.. plus, finding an American girl's name to rhyme with "Thor" was hard.

IT'S NOT LOKI AND ELANOR!

Sickos.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: July 17, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »

Ah, good one!

Better than "Taylor" as it can be a guys' name too.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: July 17, 2014, 03:41:03 pm »

I just made the splash and bought a Wii U. I'm getting it with 3 games - Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - all critically acclaimed games, and I only actually need to buy two of them (MK8 has a deal for a free game, which I've chosen Pikmin 3). I'm looking forward to getting it. Anyone here got a Wii U, and any games you'd recommend? I'm thinking of buying New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D Land, primarily. I've also considered Wind Waker HD, but since I own Wind Waker I'm less convinced it's worthwhile.
Mario Kart 8 is great, and the best Mario Kart game, but at the same time it's almost completely redundant with previous Mario Kart games. They just are not shaking up gameplay enough.

Pikmin 3 was great and I never played a previous Pikmin so they were safe there. The game is lacking in missions without the DLC.

The thing about recent Donkey Kong games is they tend to be really cinematic and too hard. The Wii one was too hard. Tropical Freeze was way too hard. I would make these games so beating a level was easy but getting all the puzzle pieces or whatever was hard.

Rayman: Legends and Super Mario 3-D World are both fantastic platformers.

New Super Mario Bros U is good, but it's the same game as New Super Mario Bros Wii. There are new levels but it's the same worlds even. The Luigi one is also the same, although there if you have a kid they can play as Nabbit so that's something, and the levels are more frantic.

Lego City Undercover is the best of the Lego games by a mile; don't get any of the other ones.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:33 pm »

I"m thinking of getting a PS4 soon.  But I really only like to play RPG's (a la Final Fantasy), so I think the tipping point for me will be FF15 coming out, or the PS3 FF games released for PS4.  (I never had a PS4.)

Is the new FFOnline worth looking into?  I used to play MMORPG's (EQ, FFXI, WoW), but really could not afford the time sink and got a little tired of having to find groups/guilds.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: July 17, 2014, 05:06:04 pm »
+1

The thing about recent Donkey Kong games is they tend to be really cinematic and too hard. The Wii one was too hard. Tropical Freeze was way too hard. I would make these games so beating a level was easy but getting all the puzzle pieces or whatever was hard.

I like that the DKC games are so challenging, it's one of the things that makes them stand out from other platformers in my opinion (I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, I'm planning to get it soon).  I think there are already plenty of games that are easy to beat and hard to 100%, it's nice that there's also games that are hard to beat and super hard to 100%.  Plus I think at least in DKC Returns you could skip parts of levels you were having trouble with, so it's not like you couldn't access all the content in the game just because you got stuck on one level (though I guess the game is no fun if you have to skip every level because every level is too hard).

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
+2

So today on a math test, I was supposed to draw the graph of z = f(x,y) = x^2 + 9y^2 - 9
I drew the graph of 0 = x^2 + 9y^2 - 9 instead for unknown reasons, and noticed this immediately after turning the test in.
Probably the other people in the class were wondering why I thought turning my test in was so funny.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: July 17, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »

I"m thinking of getting a PS4 soon.  But I really only like to play RPG's (a la Final Fantasy), so I think the tipping point for me will be FF15 coming out, or the PS3 FF games released for PS4.  (I never had a PS4.)

Is the new FFOnline worth looking into?  I used to play MMORPG's (EQ, FFXI, WoW), but really could not afford the time sink and got a little tired of having to find groups/guilds.
FWIW, I have an account on FF14, and it was my first MMO. I had fun with it, but haven't played it in a while (essentially since before the last major content update). It looks really good, it's got interesting story, and they seem to have worked out a half-decent way to avoid needing to run around spamming LFG messages if you want to run an instance. I also didn't feel it was too grindy for the first role, although once you start picking up a secondary there aren't so many easy quests to knock over. And if crafting is your thing, then you will love it, but otherwise it will drag and you will only do it as much as is necessary.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: July 17, 2014, 07:36:36 pm »

So today on a math test, I was supposed to draw the graph of z = f(x,y) = x^2 + 9y^2 - 9
I drew the graph of 0 = x^2 + 9y^2 - 9 instead for unknown reasons, and noticed this immediately after turning the test in.
Probably the other people in the class were wondering why I thought turning my test in was so funny.
So technically you drew the correct graph, just with a very limited range.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:56 pm »

I like that the DKC games are so challenging, it's one of the things that makes them stand out from other platformers in my opinion (I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, I'm planning to get it soon).  I think there are already plenty of games that are easy to beat and hard to 100%, it's nice that there's also games that are hard to beat and super hard to 100%.  Plus I think at least in DKC Returns you could skip parts of levels you were having trouble with, so it's not like you couldn't access all the content in the game just because you got stuck on one level (though I guess the game is no fun if you have to skip every level because every level is too hard).
Getting to see most of the content I'm buying is not the kind of thing where I get sick of it and want something else for variety; it's a staple, something to be done endlessly. I do not imagine they are possibly raking in enough "hooray it's crazy hard" customers to make up for the "I didn't get to play this, so much for you guys" customers they're losing.

In DKC Returns you could skip levels after failing them enough times, but not bosses.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: July 17, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »
+1

Rayman: Legends and Super Mario 3-D World are both fantastic platformers.

I just finished Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition on the WiiU. If you want a good platformer/action game, it's an excellent choice. It managed to keep my interest pretty well considering I'd played the original version four times (PS3 Normal, PS3 Hard, Vita Normal, Vita Hard).

Shovel Knight on WiiU is also fantastic. It might be more what you're looking for in terms of difficulty. Though maybe not. Some critics whined that it was too hard, others that it was too easy. For me it was just right*.

* Of course I then played it with New Game+, which is significantly more challenging and that was great too. I've beaten both Prinny games so nothing much fazes me platforming-wise.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »
+1

I do not imagine they are possibly raking in enough "hooray it's crazy hard" customers to make up for the "I didn't get to play this, so much for you guys" customers they're losing.

If that's true, it's only because DKC Returns/Tropical Freeze were so well done in terms of aesthetics and level design.  But I think if the game had been pretty average in all other regards, it would mostly just be getting bought by DKC fans, and most DKC fans are expecting a very difficult game and would probably be disappointed if it were not as challenging as the originals.  So maybe it is the case that being difficult lost them money, but only because the games were so well done that people who were not fans of the original series constituted a significant percentage of their buyers.

Anyway, I personally think it's great that the games are really hard.  If they're going to make a decision that costs them money but gets me a game I like better then I'm still happy.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: July 17, 2014, 10:06:14 pm »
+1

Woah just checked on this thread. Got to say, ITT: people going into other peoples business.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:34 pm »
+3

Woah just checked on this thread. Got to say, ITT: people going into other peoples business.

Personally, I am still waiting for Silverspawn's mission report.

Well-a well-a well-a Huh
Tell me more, tell me more...
Did you get very far?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 17, 2014, 11:08:31 pm »
+2

Personally, I am still waiting for *silverspawn's mission report.
yea, hm, that. don't rush :x

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 17, 2014, 11:23:55 pm »

* Of course I then played it with New Game+, which is significantly more challenging and that was great too. I've beaten both Prinny games so nothing much fazes me platforming-wise.

I still need to finish Prinny 2. I've beaten Prinny 1 on Standard many times, and on Hell's finest once, but I've been having some trouble with Prinny 2 because of 3 hit death instead of 4 hit death, plus what feels like a bit more insta-kill. Or, maybe I just don't know the mechanics of 2 that well...

When it comes to platformers, I feel like I'm much worse than other people, but I grind out more hours so I still beat them anyways.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 18, 2014, 01:41:46 am »

I never even knew this thread existed before. So, what should I talk about?
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 201  All

Page created in 2.413 seconds with 22 queries.