Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1170535 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4325 on: July 15, 2014, 11:55:48 pm »

Is it a modesty thing? Or an uncomfortable-ness thing? Or an uncomfortable-ness due to a culture of modesty thing? Or something else?

Urinals have never really bothered me, nor locker rooms or other similar situations.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: July 16, 2014, 02:13:38 am »

Urinals have never really bothered me, nor locker rooms or other similar situations.

This.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: July 16, 2014, 03:32:30 am »
+2

EDIT: Like literally every urinal problem stops when they have dividers. Why doesn't every washroom have these? Like, why?

I question the overall lack of privacy involved with men's functions and hygiene. I don't know if this is an American thing or what, but I don't much care for piss troughs and shower rooms without walls.

Man, am I glad I'm not the only one.  I hate urinals.
This. I avoid urinals to the point where I'll always walk the extra feet for a stall even if I'm 99% that no one will 'walk in on me'. I guess it's just the 1% chance that they will that scares me.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:23 am »
+1

I guess I'm just wondering where that social anxiety comes from, it doesn't really occur to me to be bothered when someone else comes in or when I walk in on someone else. It's not like urinals are (usually, I suppose) super revealing, plus it's either going to be strangers who you'll never see again, or someone you know and presumably would trust not to make an awkward situation out of an ordinary bathroom break. I guess there could be that intersection of people you know who you also don't trust to not make it weird, but then that sounds like it'd be an uncomfortable interaction no matter the context.

I do, of course, observe the ubiquitous urinal rule.

Edit: I'm just genuinely surprised to find at least 5 people here (based on posts and +1's) who have issues or annoyances with urinals. I don't recall knowing of anyone in person with any serious aversion.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:01:27 am by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: July 16, 2014, 04:58:56 am »

I'm more interested in knowing why it should be possibly awkward. I can eat in front of strangers and friends alike. Why should I not be able to relieve myself in the same manner?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: July 16, 2014, 05:27:23 am »

I'm more interested in knowing why it should be possibly awkward. I can eat in front of strangers and friends alike. Why should I not be able to relieve myself in the same manner?

I suspect it's some evolutionary hangover.  Whilst using a urinal you're vulnerable in a way that you aren't when eating.  Behind a locked door, or in your home, you're completely safe.  I suspect that the more confident you are in general, the less offputting you find urinals to be.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: July 16, 2014, 05:38:18 am »

I don't see what eating has to do with this. Would you feel comfortable having sex with a friend or stranger watching? Thought not.

I have no problem with urinals nor have I ever before encountered anyone saying they do, but I guess it's not the type of thing that ever comes up. I'd imagine the popularity of private and public saunas has made finnish people more comfortable with being naked compared to say the american culture.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: July 16, 2014, 06:00:53 am »
+1

I suspect it's some evolutionary hangover.  Whilst using a urinal you're vulnerable in a way that you aren't when eating.  Behind a locked door, or in your home, you're completely safe.

This does not transfer to most animals. So I'm not entirely sold on the idea.

I don't see what eating has to do with this. Would you feel comfortable having sex with a friend or stranger watching? Thought not.

Eating in front of people is something most people are comfortable with. I'm not too into the idea of having sex with someone not part of the act watching. And again, I'm kind of curious as to why it is that way. But I don't see what that has to do with it. I could be insanely interested in phobias while having one myself, right?

I have no problem with urinals nor have I ever before encountered anyone saying they do, but I guess it's not the type of thing that ever comes up. I'd imagine the popularity of private and public saunas has made finnish people more comfortable with being naked compared to say the american culture.

See, this is what I'm talking about. In Sweden we have some saunas. Probably not as much as you guys. Yet it's not entirely uncommon for people to wear towels or bathing trunks in saunas. Why is there a difference?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: July 16, 2014, 06:20:39 am »

Some acts are just more private, I think. There is also the element of everyone being naked in the sauna, it's an even playing field.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: July 16, 2014, 06:42:00 am »

But that's the thing. Why do we think some acts are more private? Also, as I said, in Sweden not everyone is naked in a sauna. So there's some difference there. And what causes this difference?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: July 16, 2014, 07:03:24 am »

Maybe urinals aren't the cleanest thing around, but I've always been confused as to why people prefer to pee in bathroom stalls over urinals. I hope people are at least lifting up the seat before they pee, but then you don't want lift the seat with your bare hands, so lots of people don't and leave urine stains on the seat. Those jerks! And then there is the "splash damage" associated with peeing into water from a high distance. On top of it all, you risk seeing horror from an unflushed toilet (mega jerks!).

Urinals are great because there isn't enough time for gravity to accelerate the urine as it hits the water to splash on you. It does suck if you're short and there's no short urinal. Dividers are a nice bonus, but not a requirement for me.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:01 am »

I guess I'm just wondering where that social anxiety comes from, it doesn't really occur to me to be bothered when someone else comes in or when I walk in on someone else. It's not like urinals are (usually, I suppose) super revealing, plus it's either going to be strangers who you'll never see again, or someone you know and presumably would trust not to make an awkward situation out of an ordinary bathroom break. I guess there could be that intersection of people you know who you also don't trust to not make it weird, but then that sounds like it'd be an uncomfortable interaction no matter the context.

Edit: I'm just genuinely surprised to find at least 5 people here (based on posts and +1's) who have issues or annoyances with urinals. I don't recall knowing of anyone in person with any serious aversion.

In my case it's an aversion to standing up to urinate at all.  The aversion is partly medical:  after being catheterized for major surgery at a young age, I had extreme pain trying to urinate, and found that the only relief to be had was by sitting down.  And then I realized all the advantages that had; The Oatmeal explains some of them here, though misses a few other hygienic reasons.   Unlike him, I don't think that doing something "like a girl" is anything to be ashamed of.

So I suppose it's not urinals, technically, in my case.  And obviously I dislike public restrooms more than most men, just as women do.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: July 16, 2014, 08:42:26 am »

Eating in front of people is something most people are comfortable with.

Didn't you know you shouldn't eat that? It's immoral! Close your mouth when you chew! Don't grate knife across the plate! Stop slurping your soup!

Some of us don't want to enjoy your meal with you!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: July 16, 2014, 09:00:05 am »
+2

I watched Weird Al's new video, "Word Crimes." I'm not at a spot where I can access the video to post it here, but someone should do it as a public service. I think it's one of the greatest videos ever, and the lyrics are quite clever.

Then I watched "Tacky." While I appreciate the merits of the video itself, the song didn't do it for me. The refrain was just too powerful and drowned out the witty lyrics. This may be the result of spoofing a terrible song (like his Red Hot Chili Peppers spoof) that makes this one sound bad. At least I presume the original is terrible. Never really listened to it.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:16 am »
+6

Maybe Tables is actually bullying Joseph and pressuring him to tell us otherwise?

Joseph upvoting this post confirms my suspicions. Let's all report Tables.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:17 am »

But that's the thing. Why do we think some acts are more private? Also, as I said, in Sweden not everyone is naked in a sauna. So there's some difference there. And what causes this difference?

For me it's not so much an act of privacy for urinals. I mean, a little yes, I'd rather not flash anyone, but Ive done a lot of life drawing from models and am comfortable with nudity. I don't like touching them because they are dirty. I've encountered many many many urinal that protrude so far it impossible to pee without either touching it or waving my penis around so everyone can see. I don't mind standing next to a guy while peeing, I shouldn't feel like I'm sharing urinals with him .

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: July 16, 2014, 09:35:42 am »
+1

In my case it's an aversion to standing up to urinate at all.  The aversion is partly medical:  after being catheterized for major surgery at a young age, I had extreme pain trying to urinate, and found that the only relief to be had was by sitting down.  And then I realized all the advantages that had; The Oatmeal explains some of them here, though misses a few other hygienic reasons.   Unlike him, I don't think that doing something "like a girl" is anything to be ashamed of.

So I suppose it's not urinals, technically, in my case.  And obviously I dislike public restrooms more than most men, just as women do.
If you trust the toilet seat, urinating while sitting down has lots of hygenic advantages. "Splash damage" and aiming issues are eliminated. It does take more time to use than a urinal, and it's always good to leave stalls available for those who really need them. I'd probably use a urinal if it was installed in my house, but it would probably taint the air around it and therefore be a bad idea to have one in your own home.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43:21 am »
+4

Maybe Tables is actually bullying Joseph and pressuring him to tell us otherwise?

Waa! F.DS is bullying me!
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: July 16, 2014, 09:49:35 am »
+6

Report it to Facebook, they have a hardline anti-bullying policy.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4344 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:48 am »
+2

Are you going to come up with a fan expansion to replace Alchemy next?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:20 am »

...I don't get it?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: July 16, 2014, 11:16:41 am »

...I don't get it?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11402.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: July 16, 2014, 11:22:40 am »
+5

make sure to get into the spirit of gunpowder before reading the thread. you have to understand that you can't judge the cards without getting a grasp of the greater picture. that's why so many people thought bomb was a bad card, they just compared it to island without any context! that's a really narrow minded way to go about it.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:36 am »

Just had a urinal situation happen at work that slightly weirded me out:

Both urinals were occupied (I was in using one of them), and both adjacent stalls were open. Third guy walks into the bathroom, and instead of using one of the open stalls to pee, decides instead to wait for a urinal to become unoccupied.

I get that urinals are slightly quicker and easier...but if they are both occupied why wouldn't you just use a stall? I can't say I enjoyed having someone standing behind me waiting for me to finish, I was slightly weirded out. Just use the stall if it's available!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:58 am »
+1

Just had a urinal situation happen at work that slightly weirded me out:

Both urinals were occupied (I was in using one of them), and both adjacent stalls were open. Third guy walks into the bathroom, and instead of using one of the open stalls to pee, decides instead to wait for a urinal to become unoccupied.

I get that urinals are slightly quicker and easier...but if they are both occupied why wouldn't you just use a stall? I can't say I enjoyed having someone standing behind me waiting for me to finish, I was slightly weirded out. Just use the stall if it's available!

Urinals are

1) Slightly quicker
2) Only usable for one purpose, whereas stalls are dual purpose. Maybe he didn't want to get in the way of someone who specifically needed a stall?
3) Less chance of urinals being biohazardous due to improper usage (no flushee flushee)

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 201  All

Page created in 2.265 seconds with 21 queries.