Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1169322 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2725 on: April 18, 2014, 03:51:39 pm »
+4

Heh, I got an infraction on another forum for using the phrase, "beer and skittles."

I'm all for moderation where needed (especially in a video game forum with a bunch of kids), but getting an infraction for "beer and skittles"? I had much rolling of eyes.

Is there some other meaning that I'm missing?  Like the vegan family who was denied the license plate "I [heart] TOFU"

Edit:  Ah, apparently it is an old idiom.  And here I thought that the candy company invented the word skittles.

I get that TOFU is the beginning of a phrase.  But skittles?  Wikipedia has nothing naughty on it.  Can someone explain the joke, thereby making it funnier?
"beer and skittles" is a phrase that roughly means "fun and games".  Skittles is a game similar to bowling. Skittles doesn't mean anything naughty, the fact that Kuildeous mentioned the word beer in a forum with a bunch of underage people despite the context used is what got him the infraction, hence why it's so ridiculous.

Well, you know, no underage people have ever heard of beer or alcohol.  We wouldn't want to expose them to that.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »
+2

Wait..... Al-co-hol?
What is this?
I must go and find some!

I'll be back shortly...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: April 18, 2014, 08:01:47 pm »
+2

Why do people still labor under the impression that "all of the above" makes for a good selection in multiple-choice questions?

In one question bank, I have 42 questions where "all of the above" is an option. In 36 of them, that is actually the correct answer. So there are 36 questions that are easier to guess than the others.

Multiple response questions are a much better indicator of knowledge retention. Sure, you still have the issue of computerized testing instead of someone evaluating your answers, but it's less likely to be guessed.
A man has no signature

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: April 18, 2014, 10:49:47 pm »
+3

Why do people still labor under the impression that "all of the above" makes for a good selection in multiple-choice questions?

In one question bank, I have 42 questions where "all of the above" is an option. In 36 of them, that is actually the correct answer. So there are 36 questions that are easier to guess than the others.

Multiple response questions are a much better indicator of knowledge retention. Sure, you still have the issue of computerized testing instead of someone evaluating your answers, but it's less likely to be guessed.

Nonono don't tell them, how will I pass all my tests then!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:08 am »
+1

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:40 am »

I often put in a section with "For these questions, between zero and four of the choices are correct.  Choose all answers that are correct; if none are correct, write 'none'."

This sort of question must be graded as if it were n true/false questions, where n is the number of choices.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: April 19, 2014, 10:33:03 am »

I often put in a section with "For these questions, between zero and four of the choices are correct.  Choose all answers that are correct; if none are correct, write 'none'."

This sort of question must be graded as if it were n true/false questions, where n is the number of choices.
I once had a final exam that had multiple correct choices for its multiple choice questions, but because it was being corrected by an old scantron, you either got full marks or no marks on the question. Missing just one of the correct answers or being incorrect about an option being true led to a mark of zero on that question. Combined with the topic of the exam being the professional code, the exam was absolutely brutal.

I got about 68% percent on that exam. The highest mark on the exam was about 75%, and I was in the top six on it. That course was bell curved like you wouldn't believe (average is made to be a C).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:47 am »

Being homeschooled, I have to take a test every to make sure I'm still learning.  It's multiple choice, but I like in the math section they have four answers, then another one that is "none of these".  It rarely is the answer, but you still have to check to make sure.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: April 19, 2014, 12:00:33 pm »

Being homeschooled, I have to take a test every to make sure I'm still learning.  It's multiple choice, but I like in the math section they have four answers, then another one that is "none of these".  It rarely is the answer, but you still have to check to make sure.

You're gonna love the SAT. No "none of these" option means that oftentimes you can eliminate all but one of the answers before you've actually figured out the solution. Test-taking strategies ftw!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: April 19, 2014, 12:33:15 pm »
+2

You're gonna love the SAT. No "none of these" option means that oftentimes you can eliminate all but one of the answers before you've actually figured out the solution. Test-taking strategies ftw!

When I was studying for the physics GRE I was able to "solve" a very large number of the multiple choice problems even for topics I'd never learned, just by considering symmetries or limiting cases.  At the time it felt like a sham, but in retrospect that is one of the more important skills the exam measured.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: April 19, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

When I was studying for the physics GRE I was able to "solve" a very large number of the multiple choice problems even for topics I'd never learned, just by considering symmetries or limiting cases.  At the time it felt like a sham, but in retrospect that is one of the more important skills the exam measured.

Measuring reasoning skills (which apply themselves as test-taking skills and shortcuts) is one of the most important features of standardized testing, imo. A lot of people complain that the material on the SAT, for example, does not match up with what students are being taught. While this is a legitimate concern and can introduce bias in some cases, I think the far more important point that those people overlook is that measuring specific knowledge is not really the goal; rather, the SAT measures the effective use of basic concepts and reasoning to come to the "most correct" answer.

Of course, you can get tutors and what-have-you to help you with test-taking strategies, but a lot of what they help you with (from my understanding) is basic reasoning and wrong answer elimination, which are actually important skills beyond standardized tests.

Also, did everyone hear that they're redesigning the SAT for 2016?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: April 19, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »

Measuring reasoning skills (which apply themselves as test-taking skills and shortcuts) is one of the most important features of standardized testing, imo. A lot of people complain that the material on the SAT, for example, does not match up with what students are being taught. While this is a legitimate concern and can introduce bias in some cases, I think the far more important point that those people overlook is that measuring specific knowledge is not really the goal; rather, the SAT measures the effective use of basic concepts and reasoning to come to the "most correct" answer.

Of course, you can get tutors and what-have-you to help you with test-taking strategies, but a lot of what they help you with (from my understanding) is basic reasoning and wrong answer elimination, which are actually important skills beyond standardized tests.

Also, did everyone hear that they're redesigning the SAT for 2016?

Yeah, they are redesigning it to fall in line with Common Core, the new national education curriculum standards. Common Core, though, is extremely controversial, and the more people learn about it, the less they like it, and I'm not confident it's actually going to ever be fully implemented nationwide (because people hate it so much).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: April 19, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »
+2

I'm not entirely aware why Common Core is controversial, aside from it being an easy target that conservatives can pick on to skewer Obama.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »

I'm not entirely aware why Common Core is controversial, aside from it being an easy target that conservatives can pick on to skewer Obama.

Yeah, it is mostly controversial among the right-wing fringe.  It is difficult to determine when there is a legitimate policy disagreement versus when it is pure political posturing and obstructionism.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: April 19, 2014, 05:19:37 pm »

...despite the fact that the whole program was set up by the National Governors Association, and the federal government hasn't really touched it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: April 19, 2014, 05:32:06 pm »
+3

But hey, back on the topic random stuff.

http://labs.minutelabs.io/Brownian-Motion/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: April 20, 2014, 11:28:41 am »

Latex is strange:
Code: [Select]
X \wedge Y produces the smash product of X and Y.
If you want the wedge sum, you need to do
X \vee Y

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: April 20, 2014, 11:32:55 am »
+1

Latex is strange:
X \wedge Y produces the smash product of X and Y.
If you want the wedge sum, you need to do
X \vee Y

Speaking of math symbols, I am grading a stack of exams at the moment and really wish my students would write lower case t with the little serif at the bottom.  Also, cross their z.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: April 20, 2014, 11:37:21 am »

I think I usually substituted t with something else because I couldn't distinguish it from +.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: April 20, 2014, 11:39:29 am »

I think I usually substituted t with something else because I couldn't distinguish it from +.

Well these functions of time.  Harmonic oscillators and Laplace transforms and such.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2746 on: April 20, 2014, 11:42:04 am »
+4

My t and + are easy to distinguish from each other.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: April 20, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »
+2

That's why I drop the "+" sign entirely and only use a Plus(x,y) function.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:11 pm »
+6

That's why I drop the "+" sign entirely and only use a Plus(x,y) function.

log(exp(x)exp(y))

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: April 20, 2014, 12:45:05 pm »

I actually had to check wether the bachelor thesis I'm writing even contains a + sign. (But of course it has quite a lot of them)
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 21 queries.