Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1170084 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2525 on: April 01, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »
+1

Laugh tracks always seem condescending to me

I know what I find funny thanks.

Also, it kind of implies that the jokes don't hold up well enough on their own. I can't think of a British comedy that uses them, is it just an American thing?

"Keeping Up Appearances" I believe...I was just watching it on Netflix

Seriously?!
Out of all the great British comedies there are out there, you are watching Keeping Up Appearences?!?

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40:56 pm »
+4

Good news guys!  If you've ever been interested in creating a viral meme, Youtube is now accepting user submissions!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 01, 2014, 03:47:46 pm »

Also, it kind of implies that the jokes don't hold up well enough on their own. I can't think of a British comedy that uses them, is it just an American thing?

Seriously?!
Out of all the great British comedies there are out there, you are watching Keeping Up Appearences?!?

You asked for a counterexample! My roommate had it on and it didn't seem too awful...certainly no Monty Python or Jeeves and Wooster, but passable to my boorish American sensibilities
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 01, 2014, 03:50:29 pm »

10/10 would glub glub.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: April 01, 2014, 03:53:17 pm »
+1

10/10 would glub glub.

Make sure you check out the detailed videos on each upcoming meme.  I'm particularly impressed with the thought behind clocking.  My favourite memes are the ones involving deep philosophical quandaries.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 01, 2014, 03:57:08 pm »

Didn't Fawlty Towers have a laugh track/audience ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: April 01, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »

Didn't Fawlty Towers have a laugh track/audience ?

Didn't most comedies, if they're old enough? It's excusable if the show is old.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 01, 2014, 04:18:03 pm »

I was responding to Ozle's comment about British comedies.

I generally dislike laugh track/studio audiences, but in some shows it doesn't bother me because I'm just used to them : Friends and HIMYM mainly.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »
+1

Ahh Python.
Are you taking about flying circus?
Didn't realise it was live

I would certainly say that portions of them were not filmed in front of a studio audience. Upperclass Twit of the Year and the various animations must have been shown to an audience while their laughter was recorded. But the dead parrot sketch and the Argument Clinic very easily could have been filmed in front of a studio audience.

I remember when Roc was on the air that it was filmed in front of a studio audience. This was a big deal because they showed one episode live. Of course with enough rehearsal, any sitcom that reasonably takes place in the same location could be played live. Even some location changes can be done.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 01, 2014, 04:28:43 pm »
+5

Guys.  Guys.  Go to xkcd now.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: April 01, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

Wow.  And there goes the rest of today.  Just like that.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 01, 2014, 04:57:38 pm »

Am I missing something?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 01, 2014, 05:01:22 pm »

Seriously?!

You asked for a counterexample! My roommate had it on and it didn't seem too awful...certainly no Monty Python or Jeeves and Wooster, but passable to my boorish American sensibilities

Yes but I didn't want terrible 90s sitcoms being used, slap your room mate (room mate or house mate? Do you share a room? Is that a too personal question?)

And then tell him to watch something decent....

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:15 pm »

Wow.  And there goes the rest of today.  Just like that.

Goddammit! And I still haven't beaten 2048. *glares*
A man has no signature

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 01, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »

(room mate or house mate? Do you share a room? Is that a too personal question?)

Americans say "room mate" for both categories. At least I do and so does everyone here I have ever met.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 01, 2014, 07:40:18 pm »

(room mate or house mate? Do you share a room? Is that a too personal question?)

Americans say "room mate" for both categories. At least I do and so does everyone here I have ever met.

As an aside, I've always found it weird how sharing rooms is so common in the US. In the UK, it's pretty rare to have two strangers share a room, but in US it seems to be the usual university setup. I guess part of it is due to us Brits valuing privacy more than you lot in the US, but even so I couldn't imagine having to go to uni and sharing my room with someone I've never met.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

I've spent much of my life living in cooperative, communal houses of a couple dozen people.  I use "house mate" to refer to one of the other twenty or so people who live in the house with me, but "room mate" to refer to the other person or two who sleep in the same room as me.
Well you *do* need a signature...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »
+1

Good news guys!  If you've ever been interested in creating a viral meme, Youtube is now accepting user submissions!

Robz that's awe...

wait...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9414
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: April 01, 2014, 11:34:12 pm »

As an aside, I've always found it weird how sharing rooms is so common in the US. In the UK, it's pretty rare to have two strangers share a room, but in US it seems to be the usual university setup. I guess part of it is due to us Brits valuing privacy more than you lot in the US, but even so I couldn't imagine having to go to uni and sharing my room with someone I've never met.

Isn't it quite common at lower education levels, though?  At least for those who go to boarding schools?

Sharing a dorm room is pretty standard in the US at the university level, though, yes.  Sharing a room outside of the dorm is less common, though splitting an apartment or house among N people is incredibly common.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:43 am »

Isn't it quite common at lower education levels, though?  At least for those who go to boarding schools?

Sharing a dorm room is pretty standard in the US at the university level, though, yes.  Sharing a room outside of the dorm is less common, though splitting an apartment or house among N people is incredibly common.

Hm, I suppose that's true, but I think it gets more and more difficult as teens get older, go through puberty and want more privacy, and also boarding schools (to the best of my knowledge) tend to have fairly strict times on going to bed. By Uni, you're in charge of your own life pretty much, so you could just happen to go to bed at vastly different times or whatnot.

Sharing a house is pretty normal in the UK as well. The majority of my (unmarried) friends share with around 2-4 other friends. I think that's very different though. The big thing being that you always have a space you can go to and not be bothered in. If you'd had a bad day, the last thing you'd want is to come home to your roommate constantly playing LoL and screaming at his teammates in your room.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:04 am »

Also, you have to be rich/posh to go to boarding schools.

I'm neither if those , tables is a northerner to my knowledge so is unlikely to have done so either. And well Tinas is clearly a chav!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 02, 2014, 08:58:28 am »

I saw on Facebook a friend of a friend commenting with Every Single Word Capitalized Throughout His Entire Post.

Someone else called him out on it, and he claimed that it's because he's European. He's always typed that way. I have never heard of a standard where someone types every word capitalized. And the Europeans on here don't do it. Has anyone run into someone using this "standard"?

I'm thinking this may have been an April Fool's prank. I would say that it took a lot of effort to pull off, but then again not really. You just type your response in Word, select all, and press Shift+F3.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9414
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:15 am »

I saw on Facebook a friend of a friend commenting with Every Single Word Capitalized Throughout His Entire Post.

Someone else called him out on it, and he claimed that it's because he's European. He's always typed that way. I have never heard of a standard where someone types every word capitalized. And the Europeans on here don't do it. Has anyone run into someone using this "standard"?

I'm thinking this may have been an April Fool's prank. I would say that it took a lot of effort to pull off, but then again not really. You just type your response in Word, select all, and press Shift+F3.

Sounds like AFD, yes.  The only Europeans who come close to that are those who speak German, and then it's still only the nouns that are capitalized.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:03 am »

Well I Can't Speak For Every European, But It's Definately Not The Standard Here In The Uk (Nor In Tuvalu)

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:25 am »

I would assume it's a joke about Americans thinking Europeans are weird and let them get away with stuff because of it. Like if you watch Hannibal (the NBC show), it seems like the characters are thinking "He's a little weird, but I think that's just because he's European", when really he's just weird and should probably ring alarm bells.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 201  All

Page created in 2.113 seconds with 21 queries.