Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1170969 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #1525 on: December 25, 2013, 05:43:06 pm »

Pearl Drums just posted something absolutely awesome on Facebook:
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 25, 2013, 05:46:55 pm »

Never played tsuro, but it looks awesome. abstract games are pretty cool. apples to apples on the other hand... doesn't count as a game.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 25, 2013, 06:13:37 pm »

I got Village and Agricola: Farmers of the moor.  Village looks very interesting and hoping that Farmers of the Moor makes Agricola even more fun!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 25, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »

Tsuro is a great filler -- rules are super simple, but there's definitely tactical depth once you know how things go and what you can reasonably expect.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: December 25, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »

Vote: Yes on Apples to Apples
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: December 25, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »

Is Tsuro the path making game? It's a nice fun quick game, although I wouldn't want to play it to any degree of competitiveness.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 26, 2013, 10:39:47 am »
+1

Is Tsuro the path making game? It's a nice fun quick game, although I wouldn't want to play it to any degree of competitiveness.

I have to agree on the level of competitiveness. There is a lot happening that is out of your hands, especially with more players. My strategy is mostly to stay away from others so they can't move me, and I may actually choose my tile based on how flexible I can be on my next turn with the tiles I have left in my hand.

Apples to Apples is a party game, and it is fine as long as it's treated like such. I prefer Cards Against Humanity, but that game is not appropriate for all party settings.

Although, for party games, I like games like Kill the Overlord or Nanuk.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 26, 2013, 10:46:54 am »
+1

A2A is perfectly fine for a family friendly party game. It scales well and provides genuine entertainment and rewards those who can play the meta game of knowing the reader.

However, the real game of this ilk is Cards Against Humanity.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 26, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »
+6

Apples to Apples is OK like once a year. But otherwise I'd rather do something more fun like playing The Resistance, or Pandemic solo, or vacuuming.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 26, 2013, 02:45:10 pm »
+3

I find Apples to Apples frustrating because at any given time, out of the seven cards in my hand, I tend to have only 2-3 such that I actually know what they are.  It's a like an exciting, rare event when I actually get to play a card from my hand that at least kind of matches the description, I feel like the majority of rounds are me just throwing celebrities I haven't heard of into the pile and hoping they happen to match the description.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 26, 2013, 07:36:19 pm »
+1

tell me how tsuro is.
Its a really fun, quick, and simple game. Easy to learn, too.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: December 26, 2013, 09:56:02 pm »

tell me how tsuro is.
Its a really fun, quick, and simple game. Easy to learn, too.

Addictive when you first learn it, too. I only got to play it three/four times in my only session, and that wasn't enough.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 26, 2013, 10:35:39 pm »

Wait, someone else knows about Kill the Overlord? I'm friends with the publisher; I was the demo monkey at GenCon 2012.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1538 on: December 26, 2013, 10:42:36 pm »

Cards Against Humanity.
I've been playing a lot of Cards Against Megukas online lately. It's super fun. I imagine you would have to be pretty drunk to be able to enjoy it with people you actually know, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 27, 2013, 08:17:51 am »

Wait, someone else knows about Kill the Overlord? I'm friends with the publisher; I was the demo monkey at GenCon 2012.

You worked that booth and Greater Than Games? Busy man.

I forget if I picked it up at Origins or GenCon. Some friends of mine through Heroes of Rokugan demoed it and all bought a box. When they bumped into us in the dealer hall, they told us to go demo. The game was fun, and the price was right, so we bought a box. I haven't played it that often, and sadly I haven't played it with more than five players. It has a Citadels feel to it but with more fluff (and incredibly short rounds).

I'm not a fan of anime-style illustrations, but they are nicely done on the character cards.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 27, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
+1

I find Apples to Apples frustrating because at any given time, out of the seven cards in my hand, I tend to have only 2-3 such that I actually know what they are.  It's a like an exciting, rare event when I actually get to play a card from my hand that at least kind of matches the description, I feel like the majority of rounds are me just throwing celebrities I haven't heard of into the pile and hoping they happen to match the description.

Interesting, I don't know celebrity names, either. I remember winning a game with the word belt-buckle. The question was something along the lines of "a few of my favorite things". I was the only person in the crowd who knew they had a belt buckle fetish and of course the only one with that card in my hand. Surely you know what a belt-buckle is.

The real joy was the confused looks when the card was revealed and the outright consternation when it was selected as the winning submission.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 27, 2013, 05:03:03 pm »

Interesting, I don't know celebrity names, either. I remember winning a game with the word belt-buckle. The question was something along the lines of "a few of my favorite things". I was the only person in the crowd who knew they had a belt buckle fetish and of course the only one with that card in my hand. Surely you know what a belt-buckle is.

Yeah, my post was a bit of an exaggeration.  The problem is that I don't like playing cards that I don't know what they are, so over time my hand fills up with people I haven't heard of (I'm also a little scared of playing a card that I don't know that happens to offend someone), and then I'm stuck playing from only a few cards left that I know.  I don't think Apples to Apples is an awful game, and I've certainly had some fun times with it, it's just that sometimes it drags on for several rounds without me feeling like I can contribute anything.

Is there maybe a rule I haven't heard of about discarding and drawing seven new cards?  If that doesn't exist it definitely should.  I may suggest that next time I play.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 27, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
+2

If you know someone with a belt-buckle fetish, then I'm not entirely certain what a belt-buckle is, nor do I want to check out urban dictionary.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 27, 2013, 10:22:39 pm »
+1

Is there maybe a rule I haven't heard of about discarding and drawing seven new cards?  If that doesn't exist it definitely should.  I may suggest that next time I play.

Yeah, you give up 1 victory card to trade out cards in your hand.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 28, 2013, 06:27:53 am »
+1

Yeah, my post was a bit of an exaggeration.  The problem is that I don't like playing cards that I don't know what they are, so over time my hand fills up with people I haven't heard of (I'm also a little scared of playing a card that I don't know that happens to offend someone), and then I'm stuck playing from only a few cards left that I know.  I don't think Apples to Apples is an awful game, and I've certainly had some fun times with it, it's just that sometimes it drags on for several rounds without me feeling like I can contribute anything.

I also do not know celebrities or certain people from history. I have no problems chucking cards in at random. The problem I have is judging who the most Suave is out of 6 people I have never heard of.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: December 28, 2013, 09:33:11 am »

You worked that booth and Greater Than Games? Busy man.

Greater Than Games was 2013, for the record. I'm only human! ._.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: December 30, 2013, 01:53:55 am »

I finally figured out how to use the mouse in programs a couple days ago...

And, two days later, I completely programmed FreeCell.  Yippee.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:17 am »
+6

Does anyone else find the forum structure at BGG confusing?

I have an account, but I almost never use it.  :P

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
+1

I also do not know celebrities or certain people from history. I have no problems chucking cards in at random. The problem I have is judging who the most Suave is out of 6 people I have never heard of.

Well, at least it's only slightly embarrassing if you admit to not knowing who a particular celebrity is (and if that celebrity is a Kardashian, then people may actually respect you more).

But contrast that to Cards Against Humanity when you have to explain to someone what smegma or bukkake is.

Come to think of it, that reason alone is why CAH is a far better "game."
A man has no signature

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:38 pm »

I remember one time it was "Virtuous" in Apples to Apples, and he threw in Fidel Castro because he didn't know who he was.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.