Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two misc. ideas  (Read 1740 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Two misc. ideas
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »
+1

Generic topic title is generic.

[No name]
Action - $5
+$2
Reveal cards from your deck until revealing five cards that are each either action or treasure cards. Put those cards back on top of your deck in any order. Put the other revealed cards into your hand.

The idea is to be a more viable scout variant. I've had this idea floating around for a while, was hoping to submit it in the kingdom design contest (as everyone loves scout variants!), but the opportunity never arose. This ensures that your next turn is curse and victory free (excluding multi-type cards), and will draw some victory cards into your hand. I'm not sure if it's really worth $5, I think a lot of the time it probably isn't, but if it's drawing say 1-2 victory cards on average, then that's probably worth the cost. And I guess in heavy green decks it would be very strong.

Aristocrats
Action - $6
+$4
+1 buy
---
While this is in play, you may not buy cards costing $4 or less.

That's a pretty powerful action effect. $4 cash, right there, and a buy to go with it. But the catch is, the aristocracy wouldn't be seen dead buying trinkets, no, they're going straight for the Grand Market and acquiring Provinces. I think this would be a good $6, decent in big money, but you'd have to be careful with it in an engine.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Two misc. ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »

The Scout variant looks powerful to me, actually.  Not sure how it compares with others.  Maybe Cartographer is the best comparison?  Cartographer also lets you filter out junk cards and set up your next hand.  Cartographer doesn't set up all 5, but it is more flexible (you can toss out Ruins and Copper).  It's cantrip instead of terminal silver, and it discards instead of draws the junk (drawing the junk is probably better on average).

Aristrocrats is interesting.  I like it.  A neat thing is that it is a +Buy card that wouldn't combo as well with Highway.  I mean, it would be fine for the first few Highways, but there is a line.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:48:33 pm »

The Scout variant looks powerful to me, actually.  Not sure how it compares with others.  Maybe Cartographer is the best comparison?  Cartographer also lets you filter out junk cards and set up your next hand.  Cartographer doesn't set up all 5, but it is more flexible (you can toss out Ruins and Copper).  It's cantrip instead of terminal silver, and it discards instead of draws the junk (drawing the junk is probably better on average).

Aristrocrats is interesting.  I like it.  A neat thing is that it is a +Buy card that wouldn't combo as well with Highway.  I mean, it would be fine for the first few Highways, but there is a line.

I was actually thinking of the Cartographer comparison. It sets up your next hand, but, usually what is it doing? +$2 and drawing a victory card is pretty poor for a $5. +$2 and +2 cards is good, but how often is that happening? More is of course better, though.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »
+1

Action - $6
+$4
+1 buy
---

...What do you call this card?!

That's a pretty powerful action effect. $4 cash, right there, and a buy to go with it. But the catch is, the aristocracy wouldn't be seen dead buying trinkets, no, they're going straight for the Grand Market and acquiring Provinces. I think this would be a good $6, decent in big money, but you'd have to be careful with it in an engine.

I kind of feel like it's over-powered for Big Money, really, in which you're not often going to be wanting to use the extra buys anyway. Maybe it would be better at $7?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »
+1

Action - $6
+$4
+1 buy
---

The Aristo... oh, I see what you did there!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »

Action - $6
+$4
+1 buy
---

The Aristo... oh, I see what you did there!

I don't  ???

Perhaps $7 would be better indeed. It would be better than Gold if you had no other terminals, but I wonder if it would really beat e.g. BM-Smithy (which is pretty average as far as BM goes)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.681 seconds with 20 queries.