Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can I count the number of cards in my opponent's deck? + others  (Read 3536 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Can I count the number of cards in my opponent's deck? + others
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:39:25 pm »

I know Goko is tracking it now. 

Also, I told my friends that you only have to show the top card of your discard, so you can hide one of two cards you discarded to Militia.  This is correct, right?

So, Storehouse has a separate data point in between discard effects where your opponent can look at the top of your discard pile, right?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Can I count the number of cards in my opponent's deck? + others
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:45:26 pm »

You cannot count the number of cards in your opponents deck. I believe Trisha provided an explanation for why Goko shows it, it's basically to do with the difference between computer and IRL interfaces. With discards, yes, the number you discard is usually public knowledge (I can't think of any exceptions right now) but only the top card has to be visible.

With Storehouse, if you were both being cautious about not revealing more than you had to but both keeping each other honest, you'd probably show the number of cards you're discarding with their backs to your opponent, put them together and into the discard pile (showing the top card, which your opponent could then examine) then draw up, and do it again.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:27:38 am »
+1

The only instances where I can see it mattering whether or not your opponent sees your hand or what you discard would be Contraband or Envoy.  Other than that, it doesn't really matter if they see, because by the time they can do anything about it, you'll have a whole new hand anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:35:07 am »

The only instances where I can see it mattering whether or not your opponent sees your hand or what you discard would be Contraband or Envoy.  Other than that, it doesn't really matter if they see, because by the time they can do anything about it, you'll have a whole new hand anyway.

I need to know if your Young Witches collided this shuffle, or whether I shouldn't bother returning my Lighthouse with Scheme.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:42:41 pm »

You cannot count the number of cards in your opponents deck. I believe Trisha provided an explanation for why Goko shows it, it's basically to do with the difference between computer and IRL interfaces. With discards, yes, the number you discard is usually public knowledge (I can't think of any exceptions right now) but only the top card has to be visible.

With Storehouse, if you were both being cautious about not revealing more than you had to but both keeping each other honest, you'd probably show the number of cards you're discarding with their backs to your opponent, put them together and into the discard pile (showing the top card, which your opponent could then examine) then draw up, and do it again.

Well I mean, in an IRL game you can judge the rough size of the draw pile and I suppose if you're really good, tell how many cards are in it. Getting actual counts would slow the game down though where as it doesn't really hurt on Goko. (The Iso method of just showing a continuous bar would also work, but that also isn't visually appealing enough for Goko)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:39:42 pm »

I need to know if your Young Witches collided this shuffle, or whether I shouldn't bother returning my Lighthouse with Scheme.

It can be even simpler than that... knowing what is in your opponent's discard tells you how likely he is to be able to buy a Province for the rest of the shuffle. This matters a lot for things like PPR.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:30 pm »

I've noticed that Isotropic can be a bit arbitrary about this.  Sometimes it lists every card your opponent discards, other times it just says <player> discarded 4 cards.  Also, you cannot view the top discard on Iso.  when playing with real cards do you HAVE to keep your discard pile face up and show the top card?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:21 pm »

You cannot count the number of cards in your opponents deck. I believe Trisha provided an explanation for why Goko shows it, it's basically to do with the difference between computer and IRL interfaces.

Donald X actually addressed this somewhere, basically indicating that he sees no reason why the thickness of your deck should be unknown to your opponents, except for the fact that in real life it would be ridiculous to deal with.  I don't know where to track that down, though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:33 am »

when playing with real cards do you HAVE to keep your discard pile face up and show the top card?
Yes.

Computer implementations are obv. necessarily going to be variants. You don't want to have to choose the order that you discard everything in clean-up for example, it would suck. Showing the deck sizes in a computer version seems fine. IRL I have a general idea, and the reason not to let you count is just to not waste time.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:04 am »
+1

With both piles face down, I would be one of those guys who draws his next hand from his discard pile.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:58 am »

With both piles face down, I would be one of those guys who draws his next hand from his discard pile.

That too.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.583 seconds with 21 queries.