Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Silver or Spoils?  (Read 5796 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Silver or Spoils?
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:53:38 pm »

Which is better?

E.g., suppose you play Marauder and have Trader in hand. Do you take the Spoils the Marauder gives you, or trade it for a Silver?

(Depends on the board! But how?)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Silver or Spoils?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:59:59 pm »

Which is better?

E.g., suppose you play Marauder and have Trader in hand. Do you take the Spoils the Marauder gives you, or trade it for a Silver?

Spoils help you reach gold more easily, but they are one-shot. So, Spoils is better. But, when you're greening and no longer buying gold, silver is better since it will continue to go through your deck. Though, to be honest, I am not sure how to best compare the two, despite playing many DA games.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:00:32 pm »
+1

I'm no expert, but unless you need the $3 cost of the Silver for TFB or you have Feodums or Gardens or something, I would always take Spoils from Marauder or BC over Silver.  Pillage is a different story:  The Spoils gained from it will never be replenished, so Silver could be more valuable in the long run.  Another exception would be if you cannot play the Marauder every shuffle.  Good question, but I think I'll stick with my gut: Spoils are almost always better.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:28:00 pm »
+3

Well, here Donald X. says that Feast was once, "+1 Action. +$3. Trash this." and that it was too powerful. That makes me think that Spoils are usually better than Silver.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:39:57 pm »

I've got very little play experience, so my gut feeling was that they're roughly the same strength, although obviously good in different contexts. An early silver will boost your economy for the entire game, so silver is probably better early (although, Spoils does get you to better cards earlier...), but later when greening, you're probably only going through your deck once or twice more, so a Spoils would probably be more useful.

I think, actually, spoils are probably going to be usually better, especially if you want to build an engine (cash injection then nothing, instead of a persistent extra card)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:54:44 pm »

The farther you are into the game, the less value that silver is going to give you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »
+2

The farther you are into the game, the less value that silver is going to give you.

I was under the impression that Silver gave $2 throughout the game.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:25:29 am »

Which is better?

Spoils help you reach gold more easily, but they are one-shot. So, Spoils is better. But, when you're greening and no longer buying gold, silver is better since it will continue to go through your deck. Though, to be honest, I am not sure how to best compare the two, despite playing many DA games.

It seems like the more bloated your deck, the more you want spoils. The downside of spoils is that it's one-shot. The longer it will take to cycle, the better it is.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:23 am »

Imagine that the game is almost over, and you're only going through your deck once more. Then Spoils is definitely better than Silver, right? The fact that it goes away doesn't matter, because you're only seeing them each once anyways. If you've still got 10 shuffles left, though, the Silver is going to appear 10(ish) times, where the Spoils would only appear the once.

So, the later in the game you are, the less times the Silver gets to appear, making the downside of Spoils less relevant.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:15 am »

Imagine that the game is almost over, and you're only going through your deck once more. Then Spoils is definitely better than Silver, right? The fact that it goes away doesn't matter, because you're only seeing them each once anyways. If you've still got 10 shuffles left, though, the Silver is going to appear 10(ish) times, where the Spoils would only appear the once.

So, the later in the game you are, the less times the Silver gets to appear, making the downside of Spoils less relevant.

Agreed. But what aaron said was, "The farther you are into the game, the less value that silver is going to give you." If he meant "relative to Spolis", then I might agree, but I wasn't under the impression that he was comparing it to Spoils.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:00:18 am »

^"Value" is always relative. If you draw 5 Coppers on turn 1, you're usually happy. On turn 16 though, you're not. In a similar way, while Silver is one of the best cards in your deck on turn 3-4, you often don't care that much about it at the end of the game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:13:22 am »

^"Value" is always relative. If you draw 5 Coppers on turn 1, you're usually happy. On turn 16 though, you're not. In a similar way, while Silver is one of the best cards in your deck on turn 3-4, you often don't care that much about it at the end of the game.

Unless you're buying Duchies in a Big Money deck. Then suddenly it becomes much more valuable at the end of the game.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:16:29 am »

Well, here Donald X. says that Feast was once, "+1 Action. +$3. Trash this." and that it was too powerful. That makes me think that Spoils are usually better than Silver.
It actually reads "$4".

My very-little-Dark-Ages-playing guess is that Silver is on average better, but that it depends on the deck you're building.

If Bandit Camp gave you a Spoils, then it'd be to Village as Explorer is to a vanilla terminal Silver. Since a vanilla terminal Silver is worth $2-ish (Duchess), that makes Silver Bandit Camp look pretty good at $5. On the other hand, a village isn't much use in a Silver-flooded deck, so a deck that wants Bandit Camp might prefer Spoils over Silver.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:51 am »

This seems to be at odds with the first reply:

But, when you're greening and no longer buying gold,  silver is better ...
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:04 am »
+2

It actually reads "$4".
"for $4" - the original Feast had a cost of $4, and text that read "+1 action +$3, trash this."

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:48:41 am »

Come on, Dominion could use a Black Lotus.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:49 am »

It seems like the more bloated your deck, the more you want spoils. The downside of spoils is that it's one-shot. The longer it will take to cycle, the better it is.

Has anyone experience with Spoils and Watchtower-type top-decking?

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 08:28:11 am »
+1

I think Spoils is actually better when you start greening.  By that time you will most likely have a large deck, and unless you are drawing your entire deck each turn, (in which case Silver is probably better) you would much rather have a one time Gold that gets you to a province than a Silver that comes up once or twice and gets you a couple duchies.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:26 am »
+1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 02:20:26 pm »

This seems to be at odds with the first reply:

But, when you're greening and no longer buying gold,  silver is better ...

It is.... I believe the first reply is incorrect (in my gut-feel, untested opinion).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.067 seconds with 21 queries.