Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Maneuver (Action)  (Read 1476 times)

ShinKyo

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Maneuver (Action)
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:18:37 am »

What would you think of this?
Code: [Select]
Maneuver - Action - Cost 4-6?
+4 Cards
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Discard down to 3 cards in your hand.
It's something like a cross between Embassy/Tactician/SelfMilitia (<- which is new, or?). So it really isn't a card drawer. More a filter and especially a preparer for strong action turns which maybe end in big buyings. How strong would it may be? What it should cost and what could be changed?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Maneuver (Action)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »

Comparing to Embassy, here you pick your best 3 of 8 cards, compared to 6 of 9. But here you also get 2 actions and a buy. I suspect most of the time, it won't be quite as good, but still worthy of being a $5, as your best 3 of 8, that's usually going to be a good $5 beyond the early turns (especially as you can keep actions). This will really shine with draw up to X cards, although you probably don't want more than one or two of them. It's a very interesting card.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ShinKyo

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:23 am »

Perhaps discard down to 4 cards (4 of 8 normally) would also be ok and not too strong. Often only 3 cards is too hard and multiply playing of Maneuvers don't get you to more cards (compared to Embassy), only better ones possibly. The strengh depends on other good action cards like attacks or card drawers (Library will be fine). And it isn't a good buy with a 5/2-start, more for the mid/end game. So there's no advantage against the 4/3-starters. For BM other cards also would be better, it's an engine card. So my new version which I have to checkout:
Maneuver - Action -  Cost 5
+4 Cards
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Discard down to 4 cards in your hand.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:03 am »

Perhaps discard down to 4 cards (4 of 8 normally) would also be ok and not too strong.version which I have to checkout:
+4 Cards
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

Bear in mind that Warehouse is, from a hand of 5 cards, +3 cards, +1 action, discard down to 4. Also, this card is very strong against discard attacks, where Warehouse is weakened by them.

ShinKyo

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:24 am »

Perhaps discard down to 4 cards (4 of 8 normally) would also be ok and not too strong.version which I have to checkout:
+4 Cards
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

Bear in mind that Warehouse is, from a hand of 5 cards, +3 cards, +1 action, discard down to 4. Also, this card is very strong against discard attacks, where Warehouse is weakened by them.
The big difference between Warehouse and Maneuver is, that Warehouse is also good if you have a lot of cards in hand when you play it. Discard down to 4 and discard one card is most of the time not the same. Imagine a big hand after Labs etc. and then a Maneuver. A Warewouse then I would play mostly without thinking, but a Maneuver not all the time. Warehouse costs only 3 and between 3 and 5 is a big gap, a 5 cost card should be far better as a 3/4 cost card. Strengh of 3/4 cost cards are nearly comparable but between 4 and 5 is a big difference. Surely playing it as one of the last cards in hand is a powerful effect, but I think 5 coins should fit. But I don't know exactly.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.2 seconds with 21 queries.