Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do you call this hobby?  (Read 3278 times)

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
What do you call this hobby?
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:06 pm »
+1

I'm filling out the "Interests an Hobbies" section on a form, and calling my hobby "board-gaming" just doesn't seem to do it justice. I'm playing Dominion, Pandemic, and RftG, not Monopoly and Life. Is there a better phrase to describe *these* kinds of games?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: What do you call this hobby?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »
+1

I'm filling out the "Interests an Hobbies" section on a form, and calling my hobby "board-gaming" just doesn't seem to do it justice. I'm playing Dominion, Pandemic, and RftG, not Monopoly and Life. Is there a better phrase to describe *these* kinds of games?

Maybe say "strategy board gameing" instead

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:40 am »
+2

If board games are really a hobby and not just something you do when the power goes out, then I would assume you are playing games like the former, not the latter.

It's like if someone says that beer is an interest of theirs.  I would assume that they are more likely to make an annual pilgrimage for Pliny the Younger than be caught crushing cans of Bud Light on their foreheads.
Well you *do* need a signature...

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:38 am »

Strategy gaming                            <---------------- can be confused with strategy COMPUTER games
Strategy board gaming       <------------is it really a board game if all you use is cards?
Strategy table-top gaming    <----- a bit of a mouthful, but probably the most precise

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:41:00 am »
+2

If I was filling it out on a job application I would describe it as 'Outdoor Pursuits' and then expand in the interview that it involves Hiking and action sports and other manly things.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:22 am »

I usually refer to it as German-style boardgames. 

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:14:12 am »
+1

I'm a fan of "Analog Games", as a counterpoint to digital games. I know that doesn't strictly exclude Monopoly, et al except it totally does now; thanks, Hasbro, for including magical calculators and credit cards with Monopoly now.

But yeah. I vote for analog games.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:18:38 am »

Man, i like tons of board games.  Monopoly is great!  Life is fun, even if it's not strategically challenging.  Chess and Backgammon are other favorites of mine.  I once learned to play Xiangqi (Chinese Chess) but was terrible.  I'd love to be good at Go as well, but I don't have the insight/teacher/dedication to understand what's good strategically.

I'm completely comfortable saying my hobby is board games.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:55:46 am »
+1

I'm perfectly fine with "board games." Yeah, it includes simple games like Monopoly and Life, but you know what? Not all games in our hobby are awesome. Sure there's Power Grid and Dominion, but there are some pretty poorly rated games within our little genre like the Hobbit and the Sim City card game. And despite all its raves, I won't be playing that damn flick-your-spaceship game again. There are plenty of games in our hobby that we don't like. I love Galaxy Trucker. A friend of mine would rather stab himself in the eye. I tolerate Monopoly, while many of my friends would Oedipus themselves first.

I leave it with "board games." Odds are likely the average stranger won't care enough to delve into your hobby. If they assume I like Monopoly, then so be it. If they care enough to ask, "Oh, like Sorry?" then I have an opportunity to explain that my board game tastes tend toward a more esoteric side. And someone who has similar tastes to those on this forum will know exactly which questions to ask to learn more.
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:57:18 am »

I'm perfectly fine with "board games." Yeah, it includes simple games like Monopoly and Life, but you know what? Not all games in our hobby are awesome. Sure there's Power Grid and Dominion, but there are some pretty poorly rated games within our little genre like the Hobbit and the Sim City card game. And despite all its raves, I won't be playing that damn flick-your-spaceship game again. There are plenty of games in our hobby that we don't like. I love Galaxy Trucker. A friend of mine would rather stab himself in the eye. I tolerate Monopoly, while many of my friends would Oedipus themselves first.

I leave it with "board games." Odds are likely the average stranger won't care enough to delve into your hobby. If they assume I like Monopoly, then so be it. If they care enough to ask, "Oh, like Sorry?" then I have an opportunity to explain that my board game tastes tend toward a more esoteric side. And someone who has similar tastes to those on this forum will know exactly which questions to ask to learn more.
I also like Sorry.  Classic game; I'm only joking a little.  I used to play that all the time as a kid!

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 05:45:09 pm »
+1

I just go with "board games", sort of along SirPeebles' lines.  "Analog games" is good too.  Maybe I'd modify it as "hobby board games" or "strategy board games" if I felt the need to delve deeper.

I think that "table-top games" implies RPGs to many people, so I wouldn't use that.  And "German-style" is a bit limiting, I think, since it leaves out stuff like wargames, abstract strategy, that nebulous category they call "Ameritrash", etc etc. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:47:13 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:10:59 pm »

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going with German-style board games because there's a wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-style_board_game

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 12:11:59 am »

I've heard "Euro-games" as well (in the same vein)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:26 am »

deeply strategic board gaming. hey, why don't you make a poll?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.802 seconds with 22 queries.