Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A couple of "choosing" ideas...  (Read 1586 times)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
A couple of "choosing" ideas...
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »

I wanted a card that said "choose 3" so here's my idea:

Administrator
Action
$5
Choose 3 (all choices must be different): +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +$1, trash a card, gain a silver.
Discard a card.

And here's an attack that allows you to choose the attack:

Desperado
Action-Attack
$5
Choose one: Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand, OR each other player gains a curse.
Each other player may trash a treasure card from their hand.
If this is the first time you've played a Desperado this turn, +$2.

Let me know what you think!

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of "choosing" ideas...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:32:11 am »

Administrator seems extremely weak.  I don't really think it needs the discard penalty... with it I think it can cost $4 easily.

Desperado seems a little weak.  I'd make it "Otherwise, +$1."
A man on a mission.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:54 am »

I agree that Administrator is probably fine without the discard penalty. 

Something to be aware of with Desperado in multiplayer is that it cares quite a lot about the order people are sat around the table.  If someone just ahead of you is choosing Militia, then choosing the cursing is an easier decision for you.  That said, it might just be that you always want the cursing, in which case this is a curser that becomes a Militia later.  Maybe the optional trash is the right penalty for that flexibility, but is Treasure trashing going to be so useful to your opponents in a game with both cursing and Militia?  I think I've talked myself into thinking that Desperado is strong, but not overpowered.  Nice card!

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »

My thought on Administrator is that it can be +1 card, +1 coin, +1 action at its most powerful, which is a between $4 and $5 action by itself, so there has to be some nerd because it offers so many choices. Otherwise, excepting perhaps a super good engine on the board, you could have a pretty amazing strategy of "buy Administrator and silver" that would win a ton.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:01:03 pm »

"+$1, trash a card, gain a Silver" sounds pretty good to me, especially early on.  It's a bit like a JoaT who can trash Coppers.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:17 pm »

My thought on Administrator is that it can be +1 card, +1 coin, +1 action at its most powerful, which is a between $4 and $5 action by itself, so there has to be some nerd because it offers so many choices. Otherwise, excepting perhaps a super good engine on the board, you could have a pretty amazing strategy of "buy Administrator and silver" that would win a ton.

The generic Peddler (cantrip+coin) is generally agreed to be a fairly average $4. If that's the best it can do, it seems fine without the penalty. I personally was looking and thought, 'looks about as good as Market, probably slightly worse', before I even noticed the discard a card bit.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:45 pm »

Peddler would be a strong $4 and a little dull. Getting $4 Peddler would be pretty obvious 75% of the time.

I think that the discard thing might be necessary, but it does add to the wordiness. Also, discarding one card isn't always a bad thing: Tunnel, terminal you can't use, draw-up-to.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.