Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Goko is offensive to actual fans of Dominion  (Read 22456 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Goko is offensive to actual fans of Dominion
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:32 pm »
+1

My two biggest problems are the speed and crashes. Sometimes, games just take too long. It lags at times. This is unacceptable. Why on earth does it lag?!! The second problem I have are the crashes. It is nowhere as bad as it has been in the past, but it still crashes at times. These are the two biggest factors I have against Goko, and I play on there all the time, owning all the expansions released so far. Also, yah, the avatars look like something a sixth grader made as extra credit for his computer class.

1wheel

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 07:19:12 pm »
+8

My two biggest problems are the speed and crashes.

I'm not sure about speed, but roundabouts actually reduce the number of crashes.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/main/roundabouts/files/insurance_report.pdf

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 12:34:39 am »
+1

New record for topic start to total derailment.

The last time I've been in a roundabout was several years ago. It's only four-way intersections for me.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 04:41:19 am »
+1

The most confusing roundabout in the world, and also one of the safest because people drive so slowly, undoubtedly out of confusion and terror.

A bit of idling away links got me here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout_Appreciation_Society) and for some reason I found the last sentence in the article hilarious.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 05:13:05 am »
+1

Not as good as their website!

I include here the Jargon page!

http://www.roundaboutsofbritain.com/jargon.htm
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:34 am »
+2

Is is just me or is anyone else offended by Goko? I am a long time fan of Dominion, it is an amazing game. Seriously, it's brilliant but Goko is absolutely atrocious. It's awful. I would love to hear everyone else's opinion on the topic.

Trollish.... completely unconstructive.... but true. Have a "+1".

ShinKyo

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 07:18:38 am »
+1

My two biggest problems are the speed and crashes. Sometimes, games just take too long. It lags at times. This is unacceptable. Why on earth does it lag?!! The second problem I have are the crashes. It is nowhere as bad as it has been in the past, but it still crashes at times. These are the two biggest factors I have against Goko, and I play on there all the time, owning all the expansions released so far. Also, yah, the avatars look like something a sixth grader made as extra credit for his computer class.
Yeah, the same for me. I don't know why such a simple game compared for example to a complex and big online action rpg like Drakensang, which also runs directly in a browser has to be so laggy at times. Isn't there a better way? But I have to say, that it's really fun to play on Goko if it runs fluid. I don't like Isotropic because Dominion for me is more as an abstract mechanic. I want to see the beautiful grafics of the cards and some animation (surely the magic effects are too much). All of that let me soak into the world of Dominion. Goko comes much closer to the real Dominion. I mean, who don't like to play a game in RL? Only the annoying things like counting and shuffling(!), which don't really increase the fun, the PC can do. But what is with the stability of Goko if a lot more people are playing? The same as in the beginning? That worries me! By the way I don't really care about the avatars. I don't know why so many people complain about them. Dominion is good and it stays fun to play on Goko. There are so much more important things as some strange avatars. Isn't it more childish to get upset about such a secondary unimportant thing besides the actual gaming fun?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 08:14:15 am »
+4

haha really guys. this thread is a complete reversal of rrenaud's law.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

TfT

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:36 am »
+2

Isotropic is offensive to actual fans of capitalism.

Those Goko guys have to eat, you know?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
+1

While I agree that Goko has plenty of room for improvement, I think that "offensive" is too strong of a word. It mostly does what it should as a Dominion game. Like many people, I prefer the just-the-facts aspect of Isotropic (or even Androminion), but it's not a terrible implementation. I too would rather see other avatars. I too wished for a better interface (though I understand that now there are buttons that can be clicked where there weren't before? So it's still evolving at least).

Trust me; this implementation could have been done in a way to be utterly offensive to any Dominion fan. Look at some of the games out there now. Pay real money to get an edge against players who don't pay extra? Poorly tested game play? Goko at least does not go down this path. It provides the same opportunities to everyone (though I can see the contention with the Walled Village), and it is being tested out the wazoo. And you can even see the results of the feedback. Not everything has been changed, but it's a whole lot better than other playtests.

Annoying and clunky sometimes, sure. Offensive? Seems an awfully strong word unless you're particularly sensitive.
A man has no signature

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38:13 am »
+4

it is being tested out the wazoo. And you can even see the results of the feedback.

I'm not sure if it counts as testing out the wazoo if you're forced to stay in beta status because you tried to launch live and failed in spectacular fashion.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 11:59:44 am »
+2

it is being tested out the wazoo. And you can even see the results of the feedback.

I'm not sure if it counts as testing out the wazoo if you're forced to stay in beta status because you tried to launch live and failed in spectacular fashion.

Well, what happens with the test results is a different matter. It took a long time for the card halo colors to change (and even then I suspect that color blindness was not taken into account). It also took a long time for the buttons to show up. They may be slow to implement changes, but there is still a lot of testing. At least they didn't have only one or two rounds of testing for only a week before going live.

A man has no signature

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 12:40:22 pm »
+1

Well, what happens with the test results is a different matter. It took a long time for the card halo colors to change (and even then I suspect that color blindness was not taken into account). It also took a long time for the buttons to show up. They may be slow to implement changes, but there is still a lot of testing. At least they didn't have only one or two rounds of testing for only a week before going live.

You might be missing CF's point.

They did try to launch after a dismally short playtest period that uncovered a lot of bugs that they didn't bother to fix.

Then, regardless of the fact that many of the gameplay bugs were only fixed with duct-tape, they launched after smoothing out the security bugs and only slightly improving their server load capabilities.

The product has been in 'public beta' for much longer than the private beta, and they are really taking your money, so I'm hesitant to say it's even qualified to be a beta. After all, if it continues to suck and goes belly-up in a few months, you still lost your money.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 12:49:39 pm »

You might be missing CF's point.

They did try to launch after a dismally short playtest period that uncovered a lot of bugs that they didn't bother to fix.

Then, regardless of the fact that many of the gameplay bugs were only fixed with duct-tape, they launched after smoothing out the security bugs and only slightly improving their server load capabilities.

The product has been in 'public beta' for much longer than the private beta, and they are really taking your money, so I'm hesitant to say it's even qualified to be a beta. After all, if it continues to suck and goes belly-up in a few months, you still lost your money.

I doubt it will go belly up.  Keeping it running as is won't cost very much.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 12:58:40 pm »
+2

nitpick: not sure i agree with the "much longer" line. as of right now it has been in public beta for just about as long as the private beta was, about a week or two difference. and the private beta was actually the same or longer if you add in the time between the failed release and public beta status.

and in a somewhat related note, i have been working on creating a detailed and objective page for goko on the wiki. i think it will be a good resource for those who are less familiar with all of the history surrounding goko from our perspective. if any of you have any information that you would like added or more information on let me know and i will get to it. alternately, you can of course edit yourself, i would just ask that you do so in good faith, as i know a lot of folks have really strong opinions about goko.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Brane

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 02:54:45 pm »
+6

This thread is offensive to actual fans of threads.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »
+1

nitpick: not sure i agree with the "much longer" line. as of right now it has been in public beta for just about as long as the private beta was, about a week or two difference. and the private beta was actually the same or longer if you add in the time between the failed release and public beta status.

I thought about that right after I posted it. I can't give a definitive timeline myself, but it feels like it has been public a long time. I guess I also was truncating the 'back to beta' period mentally, as a significant amount of that time it did not work properly for me and there were very few updates (since they stopped keeping the 'live' product in sync with the beta product).

Anyhoo. Ya know. Stuff.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:05 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:57:19 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:36 pm »
+1

I'm impressed with the community's ability to quash a troll, hard.  S/he never had a chance.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 12:42:31 am »
+2

I'm impressed with the community's ability to quash a troll, hard.  S/he never had a chance.

But only one person liked my troll picture.  :(
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enquerencia

• Navigator
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 09:00:30 am »
+1

I'm still curious about those traffic circles.  Or are they roundabouts?... It's all very complicated you see.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:38 am »
+1

That post is offensive to actual fans of posts?

Your meta-post is offensive to actual fans of meta-posts?

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:12 am »
+1

Your quote of a quote is offensive to actual fans of quotes of quotes?

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 09:20:29 am »
+1

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 09:29:37 am »
+2

So quoted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 2.396 seconds with 21 queries.