Author Topic: Barge  (Read 1533 times)

enquerencia

• Navigator
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Barge
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:55 am »

$3 Action/Reaction

Trash this card along with any number of cards from your hand.  +$ equal to the number of cards trashed, including this one.

When another player plays an attack you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, set this aside from your hand and discard any number of cards from your hand. At the beginning of your next turn put this card back in your hand, and +1 card per card discarded.

My biggest issue with this is how to price it.  I don't know if I've priced it too low, or too high.  Especially since for the action effect you have to trash it.  The reaction was kind of an afterthought but the spirit of it was that this is obviously only useful in games where you have a deck full of junk, and that usually happens when you're getting attacked a lot.  But since it is really also only useful when you can get big hand sizes with a lot of junk, maybe $3 is too high?  $2?

Edit: Properly give the card a category: Action/Reaction

enquerencia

• Navigator
    • View Profile
Re: Barge
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:11 am »

Actually, I think $3 is fair.  And thinking about it further, I like that this is a very good reaction to hand-size reducers.  Most namely Torturer.  Because you always start your hand with 5 cards, even if you discard down to nothing, which you would do if you had a lot of junk, and if you have a lot of junk, you want to have a Barge.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:21 am »

A card named Barge won one of the places in the rinkworks contest set.

This card is too strong and swingy. Imagine if Chapel hit 3 estates and a copper and removed itself from the deck all in one go, leaving the 3rd or 4th turn to be 5 coppers. Then imagine that even though you trashed your hand, you were also able to get a $5. Then imagine that was resiliant to attacks.

enquerencia

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:50 am »

Yeah.  I'm not very good at fan cards. 

I should probably stick to trying to understand the cards that actually exist.

enquerencia

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:18:45 am »

I still want to work this out, because I like the idea of a trasher that must trash itself to be played.  But as you pointed out One Armed Man, that means you're guaranteed $5 per hand.  So it should itself probably cost more than that.  Like a lot.  Like $7.  That means that in order to buy it at all, you have to have a deck that doesn't have a lot of junk in it, and then you wouldn't want to play it or buy it.

If it cost $5 then you might want it, and you might want to pay for it, but you'd be very selective about when you played it because you'd want all your junk in one hand because buying this card multiple times would absolutely be a waste of time and money and your opponent would have all 8 provinces before you had any kind of economy. 

At $3 you can buy two of them at open, and that would be insanity.  Like you said, way too strong and I don't even think swingy is the right word.  It's just too strong.  At $4 we finally have a situation where you open with it (I was unaware of the award winning Barge card, so for now I will call this card unnamed) and a silver or equivalent, and it only guarantees you one turn at $5 which many openers do, and it only trashes (effectively) four cards.  Like Chapel 

The reaction part I still like, because if you're buying this for the action then it hopefully finds a curse from that Witch to trash, and if you're buying it for the reaction it only guarantees you a five card hand one of which is this card, which you don't want to play if you want to keep it as a reaction.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:30 am »

I helped Archetype by giving him this card:
Sacrifice
$4 - Action
Trash up to 3 cards in your hand, or trash this card.

The problem with a card trashing itself and a bunch of cards is that it is swingy based on what else you have in hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.679 seconds with 20 queries.