Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Golem worth it ?  (Read 14341 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Is Golem worth it ?
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:18:44 pm »

I don't like Golem that much, but I see people going for Golem as their only Potion buy pretty often.

Now I certainly underrate it, as it seems good to spam a very powerful card (curse givers notably), but doesn't it slows you down too much to buy a Potion which very possibly won't even give you a Golem right away ?

I would be interested to hear top player's thoughts on this.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Is Golem worth it ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »

thats funny you bring that up, ive been thinking about that myself, i know im guilty of doing that and not even getting potion 4 right away   ::)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »

Absolutely.  You can get hurt if the potion comes on bad draws early but the sheer power of this card in the right setup makes it very very good.

First, you have to have the actions to use it with.  It helps if there are some really good +action cards.   If you set your deck up right you can pretty much play every nasty card every turn, or most turns anyway.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »

golem is the awesome version of hunting party =]

fortune/jester =]

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »

I love golem, but I constantly screw it up.  Not only because of the potion issue, but because I will make bad decisions regarding purchasing/not purchasing other cards because I want to get it (usually with trashing cards).  I should just remember to play around it (e.g., if you've got a hand of province-province-province-gold-golem and a trading post in your deck, don't play golem), but instead, I tend to avoid the trashing cards, lose ground and have a harder time hitting $4P. 

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »

Assuming a board without Apothecary, Alchemist, or Familiar, Golem can definitely be worth it as long as you buy your potion after turn 2.  Read the card as "I am ONE card, but I find TWO cards and play them", and it evens out the later-dead Potion card

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:04 pm »

I like to think of Golem as having some properties of the Throne Room, as it allows you to gain +Actions without using them right away.  In a game with no cards with +2 Actions, the Golem can be a good way to get this, just play Golem with enough non-terminals and you're there.  It  is also a good way to cut through the clutter in a game without good trashing, or even a way to speed up reshuffling of your deck.  If you hit a card that gives you +Cards first, even better.  This is something that can only happen with TR/KCing a TR/KC---draw cards with a terminal action, and still have an action to play.  I've even experimented buying Counting House, a card that I never would otherwise buy, with the Golem in play.  It's also not a bad counter against hand-reduction attacks, or building up your deck after playing an Outpost.   Now, there are some actions that conflict.  In addition to what you mention, cards that force you to trash something late in the game come to mind, such as the Trade Route or worse, the Trading Post.  You may also get stuck playing a Sea Hag with no curses.     

An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:51 am »

A throne is a reasonably good comparison for a golem, but a king's court is on the mark too. An expensive card that can deliver something fantastic but it will be useless in the wrong deck.

I'd suggest that if you don't know exactly why you want a golem in your deck then you shouldn't get one (although if you never experiment you never learn). If you know you want a golem in your deck then be very careful in buying action cards to suit the golem.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »

I disagree about TR and Golem.  Drawing TR with no actions is lame lame lame.  And it happens way too often.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:09:21 pm »

Drawing potion without 4$ is just as lame, if not more so.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 01:32:29 pm »

Golem + Tactician + any card drawer = ULTIMATE AWESOME

that is all

Amaranth

• Ambassador
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:15:54 pm »

Funnily enough, I did well out of Golem + Trading Post in a recent game, which doesn't seem to be up on councilroom yet.

It does have this game, where I did pretty well out of Golem + Transmute.

Stoc

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »

Golem + Tactician + any card drawer = ULTIMATE AWESOME

that is all

Here's a game where I managed to force a draw just before getting smashed by my opponent's double-tactician 15-card hand, courtesy of golem-tactician-minion.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110606-225930-6385fe49.html

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »

Golem is an outstanding card.  Aside from the combos with things like tactician and counting house, it cycles through your deck to find your action cards, and can generate an extra action on boards where there are no +2 action cards.  Just don't buy a potion on T1/2 if your intent is to just buy golems... it isn't worth anything if there are no actions in your deck, and it is unlikely to be able to be bought on T3/4 anyway.

RichyRich

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:14:08 pm »

I've played with Golem before where I only have two other actions (say Mountebank and Militia), and it ensures I hit those attacks every time I land a Golem. That's only one scenario, but you can see how effective Golem is at getting your key cards the most plays.
Good luck and have fun :D

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »

Golem is great with +action, +card kingdom cards (Laboratory, Hunting Party, etc.) or with powerful attacks.  It combos ridiculously well with Goons, and makes a nice counter to Possession.

It's not a good choice for every set, and if you're going to get it, you have to choose your action cards wisely, since Golem doesn't give you a choice about whether to play the actions it finds.

One note on buying it early; as others have said, this isn't always a great idea, but if you buy it with only one other action in your deck, it will have a Chancellor-like effect of discarding your draw pile, which means the card you buy might be drawn into your next hand.  There is some value in that.

DukeTony

• Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Master Douchie
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 02:02:18 am »

well, it depends on the different action cards available in your deck. I would say it's better during the middle or near the end of the game. But the downside, it's that really discard the treasure cards from your deck to your discard pile, so you got to play more action cards, but you have less money in your remaining cards in your deck.

Just played a game tonight and my friend used the golem many times, it keep discarding the many platinums he bought to his dismay. I use it with parcimony and won the game.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:55:59 am »

Depends on the board set-up. So far I've found it tends to shine when there are strong attacks.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110606-183830-e26bd92e.html

The above isn't a particularly interesting or good game, but it does show dedicated golem out well.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:05 am »

I would argue that it also helps trigger more reshuffles, which more often than not is a good thing since you're constantly increasing your deck power until the last Province turns.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:11 am »

Golem is great with +action, +card kingdom cards (Laboratory, Hunting Party, etc.) or with powerful attacks.  It combos ridiculously well with Goons, and makes a nice counter to Possession.

It's not a good choice for every set, and if you're going to get it, you have to choose your action cards wisely, since Golem doesn't give you a choice about whether to play the actions it finds.

It also works well with the +1 card +1 action $3s.  It's like a Throne Room, but you don't need the cards in your hand to play them. So it works great with other card draws; especially the attacks.  In fact, in some cases its better.  Who TRs Scout?  But it's great with Golem.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.