Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards which increase prices.  (Read 3739 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Cards which increase prices.
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »
+1

I've been interested for a while about the possibilities for a card which increase prices, sort of like an anti-bridge.  I imagine that there has been discussion on this topic before, but I haven't found any.

Here are a few ideas.

Stone Mason
$5 Action

+2 Buys
+$4

All cards cost $1 more this turn

Boom Town
$4 Action

+2 Actions

Gain a card costing exactly $3.
---
While this card is in play, all cards cost $1 less during your Action phase, but $1 more during your Buy phase.

Heir
$4 Action

+2 Cards

Trash up to 3 cards from your hand.  +1 VP for each card trashed.

All cards cost $1 more this turn.
---
When this card is trashed, gain 3 cards costing up to $2.

I think a duration card which increases prices for opponents as well could be interesting, but I'm not sure how to make it fun rather than a paralyzing slog.
Well you *do* need a signature...

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Cards which increase prices.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:22 pm »

I think a duration card which increases prices for opponents as well could be interesting, but I'm not sure how to make it fun rather than a paralyzing slog.

Maybe the text could read something like 'While a copy of <this card> is in play, all costs are increased by one'.  This way, multiple copies do not increase the costs further, the max increase is one.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »

Maybe the text could read something like 'While a copy of <this card> is in play, all costs are increased by one'.  This way, multiple copies do not increase the costs further, the max increase is one.

I don't think this'd work the way you want it to; each copy of the card would still have this ability, so the price of everything would increase by one for each copy of the card.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:36 pm »

A card that increased prices could cause a confusing game state if any of these and a Highway were out. Would a copper cost 1 or 0?

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »

I don't think this'd work the way you want it to; each copy of the card would still have this ability, so the price of everything would increase by one for each copy of the card.

"In games using this, cards cost 1 more when at least 1 of _ is in play"?

TWoos

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »

I suppose you could change it to: 'While one or more...'

But that's not needful.  The text simply needs to be clear that the increase does not occur for each card.  That's what 'While a copy' means.

TWoos

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:35 pm »

A card that increased prices could cause a confusing game state if any of these and a Highway were out. Would a copper cost 1 or 0?

Yuck.  You would have to add text to say that increases happen before decreases?  Suddenly, I don't like this idea anymore.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:48 am »

I see what your concern is now.  It really only applies to the "while in play" clauses, since there is then no implied ordering.  This confusion wouldn't arise if I played Bridge then Stone Mason (copper would cost $1). Hmm

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:55 am »

Quote from: Secret History
Cutpurse: This started out as "Cards cost $1 less this turn, then $1 more until your next turn." That doesn't have the same timing as the other duration cards - it goes away at the end of the previous player's turn, rather than at the end of your turn. The developers didn't like that. I replaced it with "+$2, name a treasure card, each other player discards it." That was quite strong. You don't have to discard Gold very many times before you're sick of it. I reined it in by having it only hit Copper. It's still quite annoying if multiples get played against you early on.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »

I suppose you could change it to: 'While one or more...'

But that's not needful.  The text simply needs to be clear that the increase does not occur for each card.  That's what 'While a copy' means.

But every copy of this card will have that ability still. Copy A will have the text "While a copy of CARD is in play, blah", and Copy B will also have that same text. Both of the cards will evaluate the statement to be true, and you'll get two 'blah's.

"In games using this, cards cost 1 more when at least 1 of _ is in play"?

I think this works, though.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:52:53 pm »

"While a copy" and "While at least one copy" mean the same thing.  Don't confuse "While a copy" with "While this copy".

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:40:00 pm »

"While a copy" and "While at least one copy" mean the same thing.  Don't confuse "While a copy" with "While this copy".

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or not, but in the case where you are:

I have a card called Foo. Foo reads:

Foo - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------------
While one or more Foos is in play, cards cost $1 more.

I play a Foo. I check its conditional statement ("While one or more Foos is in play,..."), and it evaluates as true. Cards cost $1 more!

I play another Foo. Hmm, it has a condition also, but "one or more Foos is in play" is still true, so cards cost $1 more again. Now all cards cost $2 more.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:48:50 pm »

It seems obvious to me. You apply the cards in the order in which they're played. So, if you play a Highway and then this, Copper costs 1. If you play this and then a Highway, Copper costs 0.

Maybe a way to do this would be with a Contraband variant. Instead of banning a card, you choose 1 (maybe 2) cards whose cost gets increased by 1.

I've also mentioned a cost-vatiant idea before:

"While this is in play: All action cards whose supply pile contains at least 9 cards cost $1 less. All action cards whose supply pile contains less than 5 cards cost $1 more."

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 05:34:32 pm »

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or not, but in the case where you are:

Foo - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------------

I play a Foo. I check its conditional statement ("While one or more Foos is in play,..."), and it evaluates as true. Cards cost $1 more!

I play another Foo. Hmm, it has a condition also, but "one or more Foos is in play" is still true, so cards cost $1 more again. Now all cards cost $2 more.

Ah, now I'm agreeing with you again.

TWoos

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21:41 pm »

Foo - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------------

I've understood your position from the beginning.  However, repeating the same conditional sentence twice doesn't make it change.

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 07:53:56 pm »

I've understood your position from the beginning.  However, repeating the same conditional sentence twice doesn't make it change.
Weird, so if you played Gain you'd only gain one Silver?

Gain
$5 - Action
--
If at least one Gain is in play, gain a Silver at the start of your Clean-up phase.
If at least one Gain is in play, gain a Silver at the start of your Clean-up phase.

Would Super Highway decrease card costs by 1 or 2?

Super Highway
$7 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.
While this is in play and the Copper stack is not empty, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.