Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Worst target for King's Court  (Read 12560 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Worst target for King's Court
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:20 am »
+1

Why is only one "Draw up to ..." card mentioned (JoaT) and not Library or Watchtower? The worst thing about KCing a Library is that it feels so wasted, but you'll do it anyway in the hope of filling the KC card slot with something more useful.

PLEASE READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING YOUR WRITE-IN

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06:02 am »
+2

Really don't get why Chapel is beating Trading Post or Madman... Chapel is occasionally useful to KC and it never hurts. Trading Post will kill your hand, Madman is a waste; both of those are usually worse to KC than to just play them. Chapel can't be.

Oops! You just said "can't be" in regards to a Dominion strategy! Now someone like me is going to come along and point out an edge case where you're wrong! What if you wanted to trash that King's Court? Of course that wouldn't happen often... but perhaps you've over-invested in King's Courts and are drawing too many hands of King's Courts without other actions. Or perhaps you want to Chapel down to a Golden deck. Or perhaps your opponent is playing massive Possession, and you want your deck to have less buying power.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:34 am »

Sometimes King's Courting a Throne Room is just plain worse than Throne Rooming the King's Court.

Isn't it usually better to Throne Room the King's Court?

KC-TR: play three cards, two times each; total of 5 cards played to get 8 plays (1 for TR, 1 for KC, plus 6 for the cards you're "really" playing)

TR-KC: play two cards, three times each; total of 4 cards played to get 8 plays

KC-TR is also more dangerous when you have blind draw, since you might draw a Trading Post and be forced to cash in your Colonies for Silver (oh noes!)
Well you *do* need a signature...

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:45 am »
+1

Forge can also be very bad when playing with KC. Sometimes you have to take 2 additional coppers...

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:11 am »

I've kc'd everything on that list usefully, including trading post. Excluding chapel, warehouse and the dark ages cards.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:29 am »

I vote for Baron.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:53 am »
+1

I vote for Baron.
Certainly not!

KC-Baron can be pretty nice in a double Tac engine.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 11:45:45 am »
+1

I vote for Baron.
Certainly not!

KC-Baron can be pretty nice in a double Tac engine.
Ah yeah, if you've got a big engine that can draw all three estates consistently, fair point.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »
+2

I wonder how many people who would vote before reading the OP will read reply #21 first...

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »
+1

As long as people keep quoting it to make comments it will be hard to miss.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:07 pm »
+2

Forge can also be very bad when playing with KC. Sometimes you have to take 2 additional coppers...

Kc/Forge/Fortress is just insanely good though, it is almost as strong as Kc/Bridge at mega-turning.

Even without that, it is not uncommon for Kc/Forge engines to get idiotically overbuilt once you forge away the dross. With Kc and a card gainer, you can pretty easily hit a 4 province turn Kc-> Kc -> Kc -> Iw (gain 12 value) -> Iw (gain 12 value) -> draw (draw 24 value) -> forge (gain 3 provinces), buy a province with your coin.

Another fun shot with Kc/Forge is piling down by replacing your cards (e.g. forge Colony -> Colony). Being able to deny my opponent a province, forge a province (say from a silver and a engine component 5), and take a copper is a VERY strong play late game.

Now all of these are a bit uncommon, but Forge has nothing on stuff like Madman which extremely rarely in a Kc deck wants to swap 1 card (2, 4, 8 ... depending on how many Madmen you intend to play) for just a few more actions.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »

I vote for Counting House, which is not mentioned in the list because you only benifit once and it is hard to draw both the KC and the Counting House in a deck with much Copper.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »
+1

I vote for Counting House, which is not mentioned in the list because you only benifit once and it is hard to draw both the KC and the Counting House in a deck with much Copper.

On a normal thread, people would at least usually read the OP and skim the rest before posting - why are the rules different on a poll?

BTW, Mr Anderson, I'm not picking on you - many others have already done this in this thread.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »
+2

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Treasure Map yet?

just kidding

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:40 pm »
+1

More seriously, there are several on the list that aren't really that bad. Vault is pretty good. Warehouse isn't terrible because you still get your best 3 of 12 cards. JoaT still gains you three silvers and can draw up more than once if you trash in between. I think forced trasher like TP and Remake are the worst to KC.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 01:42:08 pm »
+1

On a normal thread, people would at least usually read the OP and skim the rest before posting - why are the rules different on a poll?

Because of the layout... the poll question itself, along with the choices, looks like it's own thing. It doesn't look like it is attached to the OP.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.