Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: On draw effects?  (Read 1862 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
On draw effects?
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »

Could something that gives an effect when you draw it work?  Something like "When you draw this during your action phase, you may reveal this card.  If you do, +1 action."  All that extra stuff needs to be there for the card to work correctly.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: On draw effects?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »

This concept has been discussed before.  Accountability can be an issue.  When people draw cards, they tend to just add them to their hand without looking at them.  The presence of this card in your deck means that you would have to be extra careful and check your draws before adding them to your hand.  While it's not THAT bad, it is still a bit inconvenient and easy to forget.

Also keep in mind that such a reaction would be useless without any drawing cards.

I can't remember if there were other drawbacks...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:52 pm »

This concept has been discussed before.  Accountability can be an issue.  When people draw cards, they tend to just add them to their hand without looking at them.  The presence of this card in your deck means that you would have to be extra careful and check your draws before adding them to your hand.  While it's not THAT bad, it is still a bit inconvenient and easy to forget.

When playing with it people should adapt, similar like M:TG players who play with Miracle mechanics.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »

Also keep in mind that such a reaction would be useless without any drawing cards.

you may reveal this card

That's why I said that you may reveal the card.  Also, I wasn't saying that would be the only thing on the card, it could also have something like +2 cards or something on it (still probably not that great).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:33 pm »

you may reveal this card

That's why I said that you may reveal the card.  Also, I wasn't saying that would be the only thing on the card, it could also have something like +2 cards or something on it (still probably not that great).

Well the concern is that people would have it in their hand, then draw cards into their hand and say, "oops, I reveal this card" when that card wasn't actually drawn.  This is less of a concern in informal settings, of course.

Now, you could be strict and not allow them to use the reaction if they forget to draw and check before adding the cards to their hand, but then it feels crappy for the player who legitimately forgets.

I wish I could find the old threads about this.

To be clear, the criticism about "the reaction is useless" is not a dealbreaker of course.  Moat's reaction is useless when there are no attacks.  It is just something to keep in mind. :)

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »

you may reveal this card

Well the concern i that people would have it in their hand, then draw cards into their hand and say, "oops, I reveal this card" when that card wasn't actually drawn.  This is less of a concern in informal settings, of course.

Now, you could be strict and not allow them to use the reaction if they forget to draw and check before adding the cards to their hand, but then it feels crappy for the player who legitimately forgets.

I see your reasons, I still think it would be interesting.  I've had multiple times where I've been like "Oops, I forgot to reveal my Moat."

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.727 seconds with 21 queries.