Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Jubilee  (Read 3168 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Jubilee
« on: December 16, 2012, 03:33:24 pm »

Just a crazy idea I had.

Jubilee
Types: Reaction
Cost: $5
When you gain a Province, you may trash this from your hand.

When you trash this, gain a card costing exactly $6, a card costing exactly $5, a card costing exactly $4, and a card costing exactly $3.

Too crazy?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Jubilee
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:14:07 pm »
+1

Hmm... a few thoughts are:
1) Matching it with a Provine buying hand will be hard, and it's a dead card until then. But the reward is big
2) T4B seems really strong with this, but again you have to match it.
3) It's extremely swingy, in two different ways. Firstly in matching it up with your trasher/province hand. Secondly it's swingy in what's in the kingdom. In particular, the gain a $4 could well be a disadvantage if there' few $4s and none you actually want. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, of course.

I really like the idea. But I have no idea how it would actually play.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »
+2

Too crazy, if there's any other way to trash it.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »
+2

Feels "wtf broken" with Chapel, especially because you can gain a replacement Jubilee off the on-trash effect to continue the cycle of pinatas. Oh, and I just noticed that if you have a Watchtower in hand, you can create a Jubilee loop, gaining tons of Golds and emptying the Jubilee pile, and a $4 cost pile, and maybe the Watchtower pile too (or you could gain lots of Silvers instead). So I think the on-trash can't exist in that way; it has to be bundled with the Province buy.

There's a massive opportunity cost compared to the closest analogue, Tournament. The reward benefit is dependent on the kingdom, but generally it seems comparable in power to a Prize (counting that you don't gain on top, but you can trigger it sooner.) It's really swingy, but seems too silly to at least not try.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »
+1

I think if you remove the "gain a $5," you break the looping aspect, making this less crazy.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »
+1

I think if you remove the "gain a $5," you break the looping aspect, making this less crazy.

Don't think that would help. 

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you play two Bridges (or anything else to reduce cost by two), you can gain a Province with the $6, another Jubilee with the $3, top-deck with Watchtower, and then loop* to pile-drive to Provinces & Jubilee at the same time.

*Assuming you can make the loop happen.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:06:16 am »
+2

Don't think that would help. 

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you play two Bridges (or anything else to reduce cost by two), you can gain a Province with the $6, another Jubilee with the $3, top-deck with Watchtower, and then loop* to pile-drive to Provinces & Jubilee at the same time.

*Assuming you can make the loop happen.

There's no asterisk about it.

Highway, Highway.  Play a Gold.  Watchtower in hand.

But Jubilee for $3.  Trash it with Watchtower.

Trashed Jubilee gains you Province, X, X, Jubilee.

Trash that newly gained Jubilee.  Repeat.

You can limit it by restricting it from gaining itself, but you can still get around that with Border Village.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:08:18 am by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:30:33 am »

Heh. As you can probably tell, I didn't put a ton of thought into this one. Just a quick idea I had. The Watchtower combo is obvious in retrospect. I was trying to come up with a pure Reaction card that I might actually buy and this is the first idea that popped into my head. I could just have the Reaction effect do both the trashing and the gaining of course, and if I try to fix up the card, I'll do that. There's got to be another effect on the card to make it interesting, though, whether it's an on-gain effect, an on-trash effect, or something more exotic.

Thanks for all the responses!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:33:31 am »

Hmm, in Puzzle Strike, there's an interesting but crazy chip which basically reads as something like 'take any number of different chips, playing each of them as you take them'. Could a similar idea work here? 'When you trash this, do this up to three times: gain an action or treasure card you have not gained yet from this effect, then play it.' The wording can probably be fixed up, but hopefully the effect is clear. 'I trash my Jubilee, so I'll reveal it and gain a Gold, playing it, a Hunting Grounds, drawing four cards and a Pearl Diver for the extra action'. That might be too good, so perhaps up to two cards.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »
+1

Instead of saying "when you trash this" you could just say "...you may trash this card.  If you do..."
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »
+1

Instead of saying "when you trash this" you could just say "...you may trash this card.  If you do..."

He wants it to work with other cards that trash cards, and not just from the reaction ability.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »

He wants it to work with other cards that trash cards, and not just from the reaction ability.

Well, it's not that I'm stuck on that concept. It may not be doable. As I said above, I'd be happy to change it to "...you may trash this card.  If you do...". It would be cool if the card did something on-gain, or on-trash, etc. It doesn't have to be the same thing as when you reveal/trash it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 04:38:33 pm »

Well, it's not that I'm stuck on that concept. It may not be doable. As I said above, I'd be happy to change it to "...you may trash this card.  If you do...". It would be cool if the card did something on-gain, or on-trash, etc. It doesn't have to be the same thing as when you reveal/trash it.

You could say:

"...you may trash this card.  If you do, gain a card costing exactly $6.
------
When you trash this, gain a card costing exactly $5, a card costing exactly $4, and a card costing exactly $3.

Or something similar to that, you get the idea.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:41 pm »

You could say:

------
When you trash this, gain a card costing exactly $5, a card costing exactly $4, and a card costing exactly $3.

This does not solve the problems discussed above.  At a cost of $5, you can still instantly run down 3 piles with Watchtower in hand.  And don't forget to factor in shenanigans with cost reducers and Border Village.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »

You could say:

------

This does not solve the problems discussed above.  At a cost of $5, you can still instantly run down 3 piles with Watchtower in hand.  And don't forget to factor in shenanigans with cost reducers and Border Village.

"When you trash this, gain a card costing less than this. Then gain a card costing less than that. Then gain a card costing less than that."

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.786 seconds with 21 queries.