Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why isn't Hoard on-gain?  (Read 6479 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Why isn't Hoard on-gain?
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:39:05 am »

The other day Donald said that in general, on-gain is more fun than on-buy, so he generally only chose on-buy when there was a good reason (Noble Brigand being on-gain would have caused things like Jester to have to be played in slow-motion, for example). If hoard were on-gain, it would be slightly more powerful, but there's only a handful of combos where it would make any difference. (Black Market, Horn of Plenty, and Farmland, Border Village... Any others?) of, and it would be less powerful with Trader and Posession around. I doubt that version of Hoard would be overpowered... So why not on-gain?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't Hoard on-gain?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:51:42 am »

Hinterlands wasn't out yet, so aside from Black Market Hoard would only trigger when you bought the Victory card. So for that gap between Prosperity and Hinterlands, on-gain would be a more obtuse way of saying the same thing.

But really, I don't know. LIke you said, it's not a major difference either way.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 05:31:01 pm »

Talisman
Well you *do* need a signature...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »

Talisman

Talisman doesn't let you gain Victory cards, so you won't get any extra Gold off of Hoard from that.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »

Oh, right  :-[
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »

Oh, right  :-[

If it's any consolation, I did worse, but deleted the post very quickly. I was still half asleep, read the thread, and just said Harem. My logic was, if you buy a Harem, then you gain a Harem from Hoard, so Hoard makes you gain a Harem from it, so Hoard makes you gain a Harem...

You can see the extremely obvious flaw :P
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »

Talisman

Talisman doesn't let you gain Victory cards, so you won't get any extra Gold off of Hoard from that.

Yeah, I was about to say Haggler. Oops.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »

Hoard/Border Village/Duchy would be pretty crazy
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:42 pm »
+1

Hoard/Border Village/Duchy would be pretty crazy

Only if you have a use for the Border Villages. Otherwise, it's the same as Hoard/Duchy.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

I doubt that version of Hoard would be overpowered... So why not on-gain?
I don't remember the specific reason, but at the time Haggler was like "when you gain a card other than via a Haggler," which would have obv. been a problem. It's not so compelling in general to have a treasure have "while in play, when gain" rather than "while in play, when buy" since there are few ways to gain cards during the buy phase. Royal Seal was "while in play, when buy" for a while, but changed to line up with Watchtower.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:19:02 pm »
+1

I don't remember the specific reason, but at the time Haggler was like "when you gain a card other than via a Haggler," which would have obv. been a problem. It's not so compelling in general to have a treasure have "while in play, when gain" rather than "while in play, when buy" since there are few ways to gain cards during the buy phase. Royal Seal was "while in play, when buy" for a while, but changed to line up with Watchtower.

This allows you to Royal Seal a Hoard'd Gold.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »

This allows you to Royal Seal a Hoard'd Gold.

It also avoids crazy situations like buying a Gold, putting it on top of your deck with Royal seal, then revealing a Trader. What would happen?

EDIT: To specify, Royal Seal is on-buy rather than on-gain in this example.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:43:50 pm by LastFootnote »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 06:21:08 pm »

trader would have to be revealed first - it's when you WOULD GAIN something, you gain a silver INSTEAD.

So if you've already gained the gold, you can't then reveal the trader to gain something instead.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 12:31:15 am »
+4

trader would have to be revealed first - it's when you WOULD GAIN something, you gain a silver INSTEAD.

So if you've already gained the gold, you can't then reveal the trader to gain something instead.

I think LastFootnote's point is that this works and is sane, because 'gain' time happens after 'would gain' time; but if Royal Seal were on-buy, 'buy' time happens before 'would gain' time.

I'm pretty sure that is covered by the lose-track rule, though.

Except, actually, now that I think about it more, you can't really have a rule that says "when you buy a card, put it on top of your deck" because you're being asked to put "it" on top of your deck at 'buy' time, and at 'buy' time you haven't gained "it" yet. So this is trying to count your blue dogs before they're hatched, or something.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:36:14 am »
+1

Except, actually, now that I think about it more, you can't really have a rule that says "when you buy a card, put it on top of your deck" because you're being asked to put "it" on top of your deck at 'buy' time, and at 'buy' time you haven't gained "it" yet. So this is trying to count your blue dogs before they're hatched, or something.

Bingo. Exactly the point I was making. On-buy effects can't really move the bought card without opening a can of worms rules-wise.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 06:38:31 am »

Hinterlands wasn't out yet, so aside from Black Market Hoard would only trigger when you bought the Victory card.

I thought getting cards from the Black Market counted as "buying" them... That's what it says on the card and it's how I've been playing it. Have I been playing it wrong? (E.g., buy an Island from the BM deck -> gain Gold from Hoard)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 06:46:22 am »

The other day Donald said that in general, on-gain is more fun than on-buy, so he generally only chose on-buy when there was a good reason (Noble Brigand being on-gain would have caused things like Jester to have to be played in slow-motion, for example). If hoard were on-gain, it would be slightly more powerful, but there's only a handful of combos where it would make any difference. (Black Market, Horn of Plenty, and Farmland, Border Village... Any others?) of, and it would be less powerful with Trader and Posession around. I doubt that version of Hoard would be overpowered... So why not on-gain?
Wait...Hoard on gain? Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but that means that you would have to buy a Hoard and something else that was a victory card on the same turn, correct?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:17:54 am »
+1

Hinterlands wasn't out yet, so aside from Black Market Hoard would only trigger when you bought the Victory card.

I thought getting cards from the Black Market counted as "buying" them... That's what it says on the card and it's how I've been playing it. Have I been playing it wrong? (E.g., buy an Island from the BM deck -> gain Gold from Hoard)

You have been playing correctly.
This questions is about what would happen if the rules were different.

If hoard read: while this is in play, if you gain a green card gain a gold.
Then you could play hoard with Black Market.
Then play workshop to gain an estate and also gain a gold from hoard as it is still in play.

This doesn't work because hoard only triggers on Buy, not on gain.

What you can do is use black market to play quarry, reducing the cost of actions.
Then play Workshop to gain Market.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 08:05:46 am »

Wait...Hoard on gain? Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but that means that you would have to buy a Hoard and something else that was a victory card on the same turn, correct?
The discussion here is about if Hoard said something like "While this is in play, when you gain a victory card, gain a Gold," not anything having to do with when Hoard itself is gained.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:42:50 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 12:42:23 am »
+2

The discussion here is about if Hoard said something like "While this is in play, when you gain a victory card, gain a Gold," not anything having to do with when Hoard itself is gained.
ahhh....right.

that would be absolutely insane with Black Market and KC-gainer.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 12:48:05 am »
+1

ahhh....right.

Woah. That would be nuts...on the other hand, that's 3 specific cards plus a gainer. And King's Court makes a ton of things crazy anyway, so now I'm already thinking that's not as awesome as when I first read it haha. The usual Tunnel shenanigans are probably better at getting you Gold than this wacky combo anyway.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 12:52:21 am »
+1

ahhh....right.

Woah. That would be nuts...on the other hand, that's 3 specific cards plus a gainer. And King's Court makes a ton of things crazy anyway, so now I'm already thinking that's not as awesome as when I first read it haha. The usual Tunnel shenanigans are probably better at getting you Gold than this wacky combo anyway.
true, and even if you managed to pull it off, it could only gain you max 10 gold. and without +buy and +cards that is all useless.

Mad, I tell you.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.