Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How should I have played this?  (Read 1044 times)

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
How should I have played this?
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »

I ended up winning but it was pure luck on hitting kc yw twice when his missed and then hitting one megaturn before he did.
Weird set of cards and crappy shuffle luck most of the game. (for both of us)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/21/game-20121121-152356-25b7d956.html

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: How should I have played this?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:35:31 am »

This is not an easy set to play, and I'm afraid trying it single player won't make that much sense because of the heavy young witch interaction dilemma's.

I tried it anyway and this is what the first 12 turns brought me.

I think important ideas here are...

* open young witch, even though the bane is quite playable. The chance of getting purple in his deck is worth it, and crossroads isn't that good anyway. Young witch is a pretty good card in your own deck in turns 1-6 even when blocked, because you have lousy estates to discard.
* It might take a while to get it working, but eventually decks will explode. So don't green early, keep investing in the future.
* KC and remodel can turn your deck into a monster, but that does require draw. If you can, stables are most effective for this. If you can't and end up with some crossroads, make sure not to rid yourself of all green. In the deck you end up with copper is worse then estate. (the other way around for a deck with stables)
* Don't add too many cards that get in the way of drawing the deck too early. Nomad Camp, Baron, Horse Traders... they're all nice but much better to go from "ok" to "super powerfull". I think in your actual game both of you got these cards too soon. If I can't get to $5 soon enough I can see myself adding a Horse Traders.

The most important difference is early focus on drawing cards.
Join the Dominion League!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: How should I have played this?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:47:00 am »

This one is a bit tricky. The difficult part is the buy on the 4 coin hands. You went for a remodel too early and you shouldn't have got away with it really. The horse traders and crossroads can both use the estates and you eventually want a stables that can use the copper. If you remodel an estate then you only give yourself another problem choosing a 4 cost card to gain. So as Stef said, the young witch is the least weak of the 4 cost options.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.528 seconds with 21 queries.