Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card idea - Choose order  (Read 997 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Card idea - Choose order
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »
+2

Here is an idea my brother came up with. There's actually a lot of potential with this mechanism.

<Card Name>
Action - Attack - $??
Perform the following three tasks in any order:
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand, each other player draws a card;
Discard any number of cards, +1 coin per card discarded, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand;
Trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing exactly $2 more than the trashed card. Each other player may trash a card from their hand, gaining a card costing exactly $1 more than the trashed card.

It's quite wordy, but it's a cool mechanism. Any thoughts on price, or other similar card ideas?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Card idea - Choose order
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »

The "any order" mechanism is novel and fun.  I really like it.

I feel this particular example might be too powerful.  Starting from a standard 5 card hand, this could read:

+$3, opponent discards down to 3; Remodel a card, opponent may upgrade; +5 cards, opponent draws 1.

Being able to discard everything for money and then draw up to 5 makes this so much better than Minion, save for the +action.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:06 pm »

I think that +$1 is too much for each discarded card, but I don't want to discourage the discarding first order. How about +Buys for that part instead?

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:07:07 pm »
+1

Yeah, good point on the power level. This was just my brother's first idea. Of course, the three choices have to interact in some way and need to provide some incentive to go different directions at different times. You don't want their to be an order which is clearly best for you and worst for your opponent at the same time. I think that this card illustrates the principle well, but I'm sure there are all sorts of other ideas in this space which are better than this.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.134 seconds with 20 queries.