Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Goko Survey  (Read 14426 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Goko Survey
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:27:40 pm »
+2

Goko posted a survey for people to fill out here:
https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/small_update_and_survey

I would suggest anyone interested in seeing features/fixes fill this out
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »
+2

From the survey:

Exclusive online Dominion cards   

I want to make this "9", but there are so many others that are worse.  (Play with facebook friends?)
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »
+4

"New Unique Dominion Cards"

...Wheres that refund button?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »

I get the opinion that they are trying to convince Donald X. to make online only cards???

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »
+4

I think its time to come up with our own card idea.

Customer Appreciation
Victor
$5
Worth 0VP

Worth 6VP If you "Like" Us on Facebook

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:04:24 pm »
+2

The Goko
Action - 7$
This card costs 0$ if you have paid more than 40 Gokoins.
+1 card, +1 Action
If you have more than 40 Gokoin balance, Also pick a card in the kindgom play it thrice.
----------
When you buy this if you like us on facebook, +1 Buy
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »
+3

"New Unique Dominion Cards"

...Wheres that refund button?

Well, Donald has stated that Goko can't create their own cards without him. I hope that still holds true. That being said, there are a few scenarios in which I'd be OK with Goko-exclusive cards.

1. Cards that wouldn't work in real life. Donald has said that this is the only way he would create online-only cards. Since Dominion is a card game, I'd prefer not to see cards like this, but I wouldn't be upset if they existed, especially if they did cool stuff.

2. Cards that Rio Grande doesn't think it's cost-effective to print. After Guilds, I wouldn't mind seeing a few online-only promo-style cards as long as Goko only had an exclusivity window. So Rio Grande would be able to print them eventually, either as promo cards or in a future expansion. They'd just be Goko exclusives for a while.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:10:27 pm by LastFootnote »

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:09:43 pm »
+1

From the survey:

I want to make this "9", but there are so many others that are worse.  (Play with facebook friends?)

Yeah that was hilarious. I started reading from the top and thought "ok that's completely useless, let's make it the highest possible number" and literally everything except having all expansions was completely useless. I think tournaments for prizes and the simultaneous gameplay thing got #2 and #3, which is pretty damn pathetic.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »
+2

From the survey:

Yeah that was hilarious. I started reading from the top and thought "ok that's completely useless, let's make it the highest possible number" and literally everything except having all expansions was completely useless. I think tournaments for prizes and the simultaneous gameplay thing got #2 and #3, which is pretty damn pathetic.

I wanted an iphone version and offline play but all expansions was still one. I low balled asych play.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »
+2

1. Cards that wouldn't work in real life. Donald has said that this is the only way he would create online-only cards. Since Dominion is a card game, I'd prefer not to see cards like this, but I wouldn't be upset if they existed, especially if they did cool stuff.

2. Cards that Rio Grande doesn't think it's cost-effective to print. After Guilds, I wouldn't mind seeing a few online-only promo-style cards as long as Goko only had an exclusivity window. So Rio Grande would be able to print them eventually, either as promo cards or in a future expansion. They'd just be Goko exclusives for a while.
I do think there is likely to eventually be a couldn't-exist-irl online-only promo.

I don't see the beauty of a temporary Goko exclusive, but if there's another promo irl then it could seem like a Goko exclusive to all the people who didn't get it wherever it was first available and are still waiting for it to show up on BGG.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 08:19:50 pm »
+4

From the survey:

I wanted to rank six of them as "9."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »
+1

I like the online-only promo idea, and rated it pretty high.  As I understand the system, Donald X. can stop them doing anything stupid, so "Goko exclusive" to me conjures fond memories of the Pokemon TCG for game boy, where you had random numbers and other things that wouldn't make sense in a physical game.  Not "this card is worth 1 VP for every Gokoin you own."

But yeah.  Not that much else I wanted on the survey.  I'm not likely to have an ipad, iphone, or Android anytime soon, and Facebook and tournaments....wouldn't be BAD things to have but they're not big draws for me either.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »

I've put tourneys pretty high (all expansions first, of course). I don't care about async play, offline play, or non-PC versions.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:38:39 pm »

I've put tourneys pretty high (all expansions first, of course). I don't care about async play, offline play, or non-PC versions.

I ranked all expansions 1 and tourneys 2, I think.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
+2

I think the survey was good. The thing is this. Talking about the survey here would most likely end up being "Boo! I don't want to play with Facebook Friends, I want it to be like iso!"

I mean, if there would be a poll about the optimal number of players in a Dominion game here, I think 2 would win by a far margin. Looking over at Board Game Geek the same poll would give a different result.

Code: [Select]
Best          Recommended Not Recommended
1 1.0% (5) 3.6% (18) 95.4% (480)    
2 34.5% (280) 58.5% (475) 7.0% (57)    
3 55.9% (462) 43.2% (357) 1.0% (8)    
4 43.1% (353) 51.8% (424) 5.1% (42)    
4+ 2.6% (13) 22.4% (110) 74.9% (368)       

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 01:30:21 am »

so "Goko exclusive" to me conjures fond memories of the Pokemon TCG for game boy, where you had random numbers and other things that wouldn't make sense in a physical game.

Until you recall GB-Ninetales, which required 8 excruciating coinflips every time it attacked. Ugh.

But GB-Vaporeon was pretty sweet. It was like a very slightly worse Scyther.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 02:15:46 am »

so "Goko exclusive" to me conjures fond memories of the Pokemon TCG for game boy, where you had random numbers and other things that wouldn't make sense in a physical game.

Until you recall GB-Ninetales, which required 8 excruciating coinflips every time it attacked. Ugh.

Having played the Pokemon video games extensively and having never touched the TCG, I find the idea that a Vaporeon could be anything like a Scyther to be utterly baffling. It'd be like saying, "Possession is like a very slightly worse Trading Post."

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 04:03:02 am »

Having played the Pokemon video games extensively and having never touched the TCG, I find the idea that a Vaporeon could be anything like a Scyther to be utterly baffling. It'd be like saying, "Possession is like a very slightly worse Trading Post."

Then you'll be annoyed that in the early days of the Pokemon TCG, unevolved Pokemon are very often superior to their evolved form because it's often too difficult to line up the evolution for the reward to be worth it.

I've heard they fixed this problem by massively ramping up the power level of evolved Pokemon, thereby immensely speeding up the game. Just hearsay though.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Brane

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 04:07:10 am »

Only three dislikes?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:56 am »

Then you'll be annoyed that in the early days of the Pokemon TCG, unevolved Pokemon are very often superior to their evolved form because it's often too difficult to line up the evolution for the reward to be worth it.

I've heard they fixed this problem by massively ramping up the power level of evolved Pokemon, thereby immensely speeding up the game. Just hearsay though.

Before the black and white version cards came out this was true you would often hit first or second evolution turn 1 and faint your opponents Pokemon. I did go to one pro level tournament when it was this way and I did alright. This was the Pokemon equivelant of T2 (newest 2 sets only). The release of black and white rotated many of the cards that did this slowing down the format again

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 11:35:28 am »
+12

I think the survey was good. The thing is this. Talking about the survey here would most likely end up being "Boo! I don't want to play with Facebook Friends, I want it to be like iso!"

I mean, if there would be a poll about the optimal number of players in a Dominion game here, I think 2 would win by a far margin. Looking over at Board Game Geek the same poll would give a different result.

So I agree that the fact that they are taking a survey is a good thing.  My issue is with the way it's conducted.

Sure - you can argue that I'm not representative of normal people, but if I ask you to rank the following things from 1-9 in order of desire to eat.

1. Grilled Cheese Sandwhich
2. Kitty Litter
3. A nice refreshing glass of lemonade.
4. Dog poop
5. A tire iron
6. That 2x4 that's been sitting under your deck for a year and a half
7. A few rusty bolts
8. SPAM
9. Some papertowels that have been used to wipe up an unknown liquid.

Here's the problem.  2 of those are good.  The nature of the survey requires that you give a 4 to something that you have no interest in eating, and it still ends up looking above average from the surveyors perspective.

If a chef gave you this menu - I think you'd conclude that you didn't want to eat there ever again, even if the grilled cheese was excellent.

Sure maybe this restaurant isn't designed for food snobs like me.  That's fine... but it would be nice if the restaurant didn't have a monopoly of serving food to customers.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »

I don't really think that's a fair comparison. All of the things they asked for in their survey is related to what's "normal" in modern online games. It's not like they want to do things that's totally unrelated to the game, but rather stuff most of the people here don't like.

I do however agree on the point that they need to take the competitive community's needs into account too, since they will, as you say, have a monopoly on online Dominion.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »

So I agree that the fact that they are taking a survey is a good thing.  My issue is with the way it's conducted.

Sure - you can argue that I'm not representative of normal people, but if I ask you to rank the following things from 1-9 in order of desire to eat.

1. Grilled Cheese Sandwhich
2. Kitty Litter
3. A nice refreshing glass of lemonade.
4. Dog poop
5. A tire iron
6. That 2x4 that's been sitting under your deck for a year and a half
7. A few rusty bolts
8. SPAM
9. Some papertowels that have been used to wipe up an unknown liquid.

Here's the problem.  2 of those are good.  The nature of the survey requires that you give a 4 to something that you have no interest in eating, and it still ends up looking above average from the surveyors perspective.

If a chef gave you this menu - I think you'd conclude that you didn't want to eat there ever again, even if the grilled cheese was excellent.

Sure maybe this restaurant isn't designed for food snobs like me.  That's fine... but it would be nice if the restaurant didn't have a monopoly of serving food to customers.

Frisk you own an iPhone why no love for an iPhone version?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
+2

It's a web app!  It is supposed to run every where right?

I just don't understand why they are thinking about Facebook integration when I couldn't even play 5 games without one player being disconnected.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 03:00:51 pm »
+2

It's a web app!  It is supposed to run every where right?

I just don't understand why they are thinking about Facebook integration when I couldn't even play 5 games without one player being disconnected.

I find that about usually 1/3rd of my games end in a crash, usually my opponents, but sometimes, my browser crashes as well. At the moment, Chrome is the browser that is really suffering from crashes a lot.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.23 seconds with 20 queries.