Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wherein the cheap Actions are key to unlocking the power of the expensive ones  (Read 1294 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/19/game-20121119-174311-820ad94b.html

Absolutely *insane* board. But I love the way that Watchtower and Develop help out the power cards - defending against the Goons attack, topdecking good cards and then drawing them. I'm sure it can be played better than this... I probably should actually be ignoring City even though it's so easy to power up o_O

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
+1

Played well, I'm sure this game would be over in less than 14 turns (which is what I got in solo play)...

I would have bought a Bazaar on turn 4 instead of Rabble. With Goons as your terminal payload and an imminent trim deck, you don't want or need terminal draw. Luckily you drew it with your Develop on turn 5. Here I would have gained a GM instead of a Goons, because GM is harder to get at this point and you were all but guaranteed a Goons on the next turn after topdecking a GM. You also had 3 terminals but 1 Farming Village.

On turn 8, your second Develop is completely unnecessary. One Develop is enough to do cute tricks like Bazaar -> FV + GM or FV -> Bazaar + Watchtower. You also now have 4 terminals in your deck and only 1 FV. On turn 9, you get another Goons for your 5th terminal. I don't like your Develop on turn 10 either; at that point Apprentice was mostly useless and you could have topdecked a GM + FV that you desperately needed. Instead you gain a KC and another Rabble. So no surprise on turn 11 when you draw a single KC and 3 terminals.

You finally hit a big turn on turn 14, but those Develops came out to be fairly useless because you topdecked 2 Develops and an Estate for some reason that you could have trashed, which killed your turn 15.

You hit another big turn on turn 18, but you basically killed your deck by buying all of those Coppers while you could have churned out more points. I guess you were so far ahead at that point that it didn't matter.

One thing that it looks like you missed is the Goons - Watchtower interaction. Let's say that you have a couple of Goons in play and a ton of buys because you KC'd a GM or a Goons. You can soak up extra Copper buys with your Watchtower and get a nice point bonus. The extra points obtained this way are definitely dwarfed by a 4-5 Goons megaturn, but they make a big difference when playing a competent opponent. This also lets you aim for a game-ending megaturn earlier: you only need 18 buys and $16 to empty out the Estates and Curses, and presumably Goons are going to be empty or near-empty as well.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:46:26 am by dondon151 »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
+1

Turn 18 should have been the last turn. 

I'm not saying this out of annoyance for those that have to wait out ridiculously long turns (although I am on that boat).  I am saying this because the awareness to end the game as soon as possible is a key skill.  Winning 100% of games is better than the 2% chance they have to come back.  It might not matter here so much but developing this awareness is important.  Higher level games will require you to consider this well in advance of three piles. 

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

Oh yes, I missed that. I wasn't keeping track of the number of Estates, but that was an easy pile to deplete.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile

Oh yes, I missed that. I wasn't keeping track of the number of Estates, but that was an easy pile to deplete.
It's hard to notice these things through a log.  I only noticed because I found it odd that the opponent had to buy out 3 estates for the confirmed loss. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.252 seconds with 21 queries.