Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cash4Gold  (Read 2417 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Cash4Gold
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:59 am »

Every so often I see things and for some reason really want to figure out what they would do in Dominion.  My inspiration this time is all those pawn shops that will buy gold off of you.

$4 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may trash a Gold from your hand.  If you do, +$4 and +1 Buy.

I had a hard time balancing against Salvager, which is why I wound up making it a cantrip- it's also low risk this way.  I feel it's still missing something, though....maybe if I let it trash from the discard?  That might be too strong, though...
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Cash4Gold
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:30:59 am »
+1

This is a pretty neat idea! This specific version it too weak, though. Being a cantrip is a huge advantage over Salvager but it's far, far less flexible. And since it only gives $1 more than Gold would have, it essentially is a market if and only if you trash a gold from your hand. That's too harsh. I'd actually mess around with giving it +$6, because that makes it stronger than a grand market but only if you trash gold. Or if you don't mind sacrificing the theme some, you could give it a bonus for trashing actions too. Maybe:

You may trash a card from your hand.

If it is a Gold, +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; and +$5.
If it is an Action card, +3 Cards and +1 Action.

That buffs this card a bit and makes it like a mini-apprentice. And it lets you trash coppers curses, and estates, but for no benefit. This version might be way too strong with Ruins.

Edit: Added +buy to the proposed card to make it truer to the original. Also grammar.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:35:20 am by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

golden_cow2

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 02:53:03 am »

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a treasure other than copper from your hand.
If you do, +coin equal to it's cost.
If you trashed a Gold, +1 buy.

Not sure how strong this if you're going for a treasureless deck (buy Silver/Gold, buy your power actions, transition out).
Also pretty good with Ill-Gotten Gains.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:57:40 am »

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a treasure other than copper from your hand.
If you do, +coin equal to it's cost.
If you trashed a Gold, +1 buy.

Not sure how strong this if you're going for a treasureless deck (buy Silver/Gold, buy your power actions, transition out).
Also pretty good with Ill-Gotten Gains.

Yeah, this seems like it would work too. Although I actually don't think it needs the copper clause unless it's specifically there to nerf the card. Nothing wrong with a cantrip that trashes a copper, I don't think.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:55 am »
+7

If you really wanted it to be thematic it should trash Golds and give you +$1.  If you complained it would give you +$2, and if you decided to trash this card because why did you ever buy it in the first place, it would sue you for defamation.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:37 am »

A thought:

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

Trash a Treasure from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Treasures). If you do trash a Treasure, +1 Buy, and +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the Treasure, rounded down.

Compares favourably to Market early, since you can basically trash Coppers for free. But eventually it will run out of fuel, the way Spice Merchant does... although it's still a Peddler at that point.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:10:02 am »

A thought:

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

Trash a Treasure from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Treasures). If you do trash a Treasure, +1 Buy, and +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the Treasure, rounded down.

Compares favourably to Market early, since you can basically trash Coppers for free. But eventually it will run out of fuel, the way Spice Merchant does... although it's still a Peddler at that point.
At 4$ or 5$? Either way, it's (arguably) better than Junk Dealer.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:20:45 pm »

Financier
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You can trash a Treasure card from your hand. If it is a Silver, +$4. If it is a Gold, +$6.

Gold can be tweaked to +$7 if need be.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:27:11 pm by One Armed Man »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:28 pm »

Financier
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You can trash a Treasure card from your hand. If it is a Silver, +$4. If it is a Gold, +$6.

It's very like Counterfeit, except with +1 card instead of +$1 and +buy. And it's an action, which matters a bit. But really, I don't think I like it compared to Counterfeit.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »

Financier
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

It's very like Counterfeit, except with +1 card instead of +$1 and +buy. And it's an action, which matters a bit. But really, I don't think I like it compared to Counterfeit.
Somehow between looking at this thread and thinking 'All these cards are like Counterfeit' and making this card, I didn't think about Counterfeit. Odd.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.277 seconds with 20 queries.