Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Author Topic: Stupid Pet Tricks  (Read 68627 times)

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Pet Tricks
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2013, 10:19:46 pm »

It would be better if it was Crossroads+FV+Goons+Goons+Library.

I actually managed to do something similar to this in a recent game.  The relevant cards on the board were Fishing Village, Shanty Town, Watchtower, Library, and Goons, along with a few semi-relevant cantrips I can't remember.  I set up a massive draw-to-X engine with the disappearing villages, playing 3 Goons every turn near the end, and three-piled on cheap engine parts, winning the game with 128 points.

only3provinces

• Pawn
  • I really should be better at this....
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »

Ambassador tennis in a 3-player game where one player ignores ambassador and ends up with 11 estates and the win- and it was losing to my mother....

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2013, 06:31:11 pm »
+1

You must have had only3provinces.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:06 pm »
+1

Just completely accidentally stumbled across this one: Followers+Scavenger+Silk Road.

Followers gives you estates, which pushes your Silk Road value up pretty quickly. Scavenger drastically reduces the time between playing Followers, even in a BM deck (little drawing). It's far from a power combo, but the fact it's reliant on three cards, one of which is a Prize, I think qualifies it as a stupid pet trick.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2013, 08:36:15 pm »
+2

KC+Scavenger to put a KC, Scavenger and Platinum on top of your deck every turn.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2013, 08:42:36 pm »

getting all the money you need for your turn, then playing native villages to store cards for later, when you could have picked up cards to continue playing lots more actions.

I find it interesting that if you always pick up a card when you can with native village, it's 1/2card, but if you store nine cards, then pick them up, it's 9/10 of a card. Although, it's much more complicated than that... because getting 9 cards at once is much different then getting fewer cards at a time spread out among many turns.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:49 pm »
+2

KC-KC-KC-Scheme-Scheme-Scheme-Monument-Monument!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2013, 11:01:02 pm »

I prefer Scrying Pool-Scheme, then mass KC-Monument.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41:47 am »

KC+Scavenger to put a KC, Scavenger and Platinum on top of your deck every turn.
Scavenger cannot put cards from play on your deck. So not very reliable if you don't have a bunch of each card. Unless you get lucky ;)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2013, 09:04:35 am »

Scavenger cannot put cards from play on your deck. So not very reliable if you don't have a bunch of each card. Unless you get lucky ;)

You only need 2 of each, and the first KC'ed Scavenger will get you a second KC.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:44 am »

You only need 2 of each, and the first KC'ed Scavenger will get you a second KC.

You actually need 4 of each, because shuffle luck could put 2 extra copies of something into your hand.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2013, 11:18:37 am »

You actually need 4 of each, because shuffle luck could put 2 extra copies of something into your hand.

there are two extra cards, so luck plays a factor. KC, KC, Scavenger, Scavenger, X would work though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:35 am »

there are two extra cards, so luck plays a factor. KC, KC, Scavenger, Scavenger, X would work though.

And that's why 4 of each were needed. You still need 4 of each for your example, so that 2 are always in the discard. But you don't need 4 of the third card, which helps.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »
+2

With a Watchtower in hand and Squire on the board, Scrying Pool and Familiar only cost $2. (Really specific, I know, but it just happened to me and it was awesome. Quarry and Festival, too.)

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2013, 01:39:29 am »
+1

So I was playing a very tight Chapel+Poor House deck (with other supporting cards). My opponent purchased an Embassy, purely for the purpose of forcing me to trash the gifted Silver, thereby empowering his Forager. His dasterdly plans did come to fruition, and he got several plays of his Forager where it was worth $2.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2013, 01:45:32 am »

With a Watchtower in hand and Squire on the board, Scrying Pool and Familiar only cost $2. (Really specific, I know, but it just happened to me and it was awesome. Quarry and Festival, too.)

Nice! With a +buy, say WT-Bridge-Copper or WT-Squire-Copper-Copper-Copper, you can even buy 2 Familiars on turn 3 (topdecking both) or 2 Torturers (topdeck one and you're sure they won't collide next turn), Minions, Goons...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:46:49 am by SheCantSayNo »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2013, 01:57:34 am »
+2

Another way to put it: if Scrying Pool and Familiar are the only Potion-costing cards on the board, Watchtower is Strictly Better™ than Potion, and cheaper.

(Edge-case counterexample: Bank, I guess?)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2013, 11:26:41 am »

Another way to put it: if Scrying Pool and Familiar are the only Potion-costing cards on the board, Watchtower is Strictly Better™ than Potion, and cheaper.

Forager, Counterfeit, Adventurer, Venture.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:29:02 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »
+1

+1 for the Trade-Mark one, I hope it wasn't randomly misclicked  ;D

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2013, 04:08:03 pm »
+7

When my opponent plays a Bishop and I don't have anything in hand that I want to trash, I like to trash my Fortress - just because.

tolenmar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2013, 05:52:32 pm »

Just fed a Province to an Apprentice to draw eight cards, gaining enough treasure to buy the last Province and end the game.
He was confused at first, but now he's just irritated. =)

GiB

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »

I very rarely buy Moat in 2p games, even with a power attack on the board.
I never imagined I would actually be getting 6-7 of them in a game without +Action/+Buy to defend against Saboteur.
I was running Cartographer/Armory/Vineyards

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »
+2

Procession Catacombs into Border Village gaining a Fortress, just so I can Procession Border Village and Fortresses back into Catacombs, . Oops...forgot to buy money.

GiB

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2013, 03:47:32 pm »

Procession Catacombs into Border Village gaining a Fortress, just so I can Procession Border Village and Fortresses back into Catacombs, . Oops...forgot to buy money.

Rogue to reclaim the Processioned Catacombs and Rogues ?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:06 pm »

Rogue to reclaim the Processioned Catacombs and Rogues ?
That could be fun. The game will end before they become useful though.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.