Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: OK, *this* time it's got to just be bad luck.  (Read 972 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
OK, *this* time it's got to just be bad luck.
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:14:36 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/15/game-20121115-170608-aae42653.html

It looked like the Curses were going fast with Torturer, as he didn't want to discard very much... so I prepared by taking a lead on Cities. He hardly hurt me with Goons, yet I still somehow managed to never really get anything to connect; with a final deck of 7 Cities in 35 cards plus some additional draw, I still wasn't getting close to drawing my deck, and in fact I completely stalled the next turn after buying an Outpost to fully capitalize. And then all he had to do was line up two Bridges and pile Estates... I guess I should have been watching that more closely, but sheesh. I guess we both undervalued Bridge here, really, but I mean I couldn't even draw nearly as much as I was supposed to even without taking on those extra terminals. Not to mention that early on, my terminals were constantly colliding while the Cities would bunch up elsewhere in my deck, so I missed several opportunities to trash with Trade Route in favour of attacking...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
Re: OK, *this* time it's got to just be bad luck.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »

Yeah, although both our strategies needed some work, this was bad luck on your side. Or actually, good luck on my side.
I didn't really know what to do, and was just fiddling around, and I had a lucky turn.
I think that worker's village/trade route, is not the proper opening, however (useless village).
And I wonder what would have happened if someone had tried something with ghost ship.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Re: OK, *this* time it's got to just be bad luck.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:58:37 am »

Your draws weren't great.
But if you are trying to improve you need to look at the parts of the game you were in control of.

Both trade route and village are bad openings for getting to $5.
Getting to $5 on turn 4 was really lucky for you.
Turn 5 should be Torturer not city. (spend your 4 on villages instead)
Turn 12 I think this is to early for Provence, Looks like this game will be decided on Goons points.
T23 you could have brought double Provence to insure against the 3 pile.
Your deck is better going long at this point so as long as you don't lose now, you should be OK.

I would have opened Silver / Silver or Silver / Bridge or Silver Cutpurse.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:00:16 am by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.