Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Author Topic: RMM4: PokeAwesome (Signups Open!)  (Read 29330 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
Re: RMM4: PokeAwesome (Signups Open!)
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »

How are ties settled then? I could see there easily being two tied winners or two tied losers, or does it need to hit majority?
Personally, I would like to add that I think a system where we vote for two players to fight and then after that's decided vote for who should win and who should lose is going to be a lot simpler to implement. Plus then it'll feel more like a duel. (Not that I won't play the system as setup, but since the game hasn't started I thought I'd put forward this alternate system.)
We talked about this second idea of yours, but I think it would devolve into the system Munch proposed anyway.  Because the winner gets a bonus, and the loser gets killed, people are unlikely to vote for their two highest scum reads.  They'll just vote for a winner and a loser essentially.  Making this explicit just seemed more reasonable.

We're discussing situations where two people are tied at deadlines (obviously this only happens if one of the votecounts has reached majority, and the other is tied at a plurality).  One option is to have everyone vote-by-PM for the actual candidate, and then the votes are made public sometime before/after thread unlock/lock for the following day.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 03:30:55 pm »

Personally, I would like to add that I think a system where we vote for two players to fight and then after that's decided vote for who should win would be a lot simpler to implement. Plus then it'll feel more like a duel. (Not that I won't play the system as setup, but since the game hasn't started I thought I'd put forward this alternate system.)

Ties should only happen if deadline is reached with one vote at majority and the other not.  If this occurs (sample situation: majority has been achieved for the winner, 2 players are tied for loser at 4 votes a piece with majority being 5) I would have some kind of silent democracy between those 2 players (everyone pms me one of the 2 names and the one with the most silent votes wins; in the case of another tie in the silent vote I will choose randomly).

The problem with choosing which 2 fight first, then chosing winner/loser is that with 15 players, instead of 15 choices to vote on there are 15*14 choices for pairs of players to vote on.  It would be impossible to achieve majority.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:47 pm »

Personally, I would like to add that I think a system where we vote for two players to fight and then after that's decided vote for who should win would be a lot simpler to implement. Plus then it'll feel more like a duel. (Not that I won't play the system as setup, but since the game hasn't started I thought I'd put forward this alternate system.)

Ties should only happen if deadline is reached with one vote at majority and the other not.  If this occurs (sample situation: majority has been achieved for the winner, 2 players are tied for loser at 4 votes a piece with majority being 5) I would have some kind of silent democracy between those 2 players (everyone pms me one of the 2 names and the one with the most silent votes wins; in the case of another tie in the silent vote I will choose randomly).

The problem with choosing which 2 fight first, then chosing winner/loser is that with 15 players, instead of 15 choices to vote on there are 15*14 choices for pairs of players to vote on.  It would be impossible to achieve majority.

I was envisioning a system where the players with the top two vote counts would fight at deadline. This might end up in a situation like 14 Frisk and 1 Galzria (Frisk and Galz fight) or 8 Frisk and 7 Galzria (Frisk and Galz fight). There's still tying problems. For example 7 Frisk, 3 Galzria, 3 TheMunch, 1 Jorbles, who does Frisk fight? But conceptually it seems easier for me to grasp. I may be in a minority on this one though.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »

I was envisioning a system where the players with the top two vote counts would fight at deadline. This might end up in a situation like 14 Frisk and 1 Galzria (Frisk and Galz fight) or 8 Frisk and 7 Galzria (Frisk and Galz fight). There's still tying problems. For example 7 Frisk, 3 Galzria, 3 TheMunch, 1 Jorbles, who does Frisk fight? But conceptually it seems easier for me to grasp. I may be in a minority on this one though.

Ah I think I see the problem.  There are TWO SEPARATE vote counts going on.  So:

Winner Vote count (majority=7):
Frisk: 7
Galz: 3
Munch: 2
Jorbles: 1

The last person to vote for frisk locks this vote count.  No one will be able to vote for a winner or change their votes on the winner.

Loser vote count:
Galz: 6
Munch: 6
Not voting: 1

If the day ends right now, the silent pm vote would happen between me and galz as to who loses.  If prior to deadline the not voting player votes for either Galz or Munch, lets say Munch, then I would be voted as the Loser, I would fight Frisk, I would lose and Frisk would win.  Frisk Evolves and I die.

But this has lead me to realize another interesting problem where lets keep the same Winner vote count as above,  Let the loser vote count be as follows:
Frisk: 4
Other players: less than 4 each

That is Frisk wins both the loser and the winner vote.  I think in this case, I would pick the second place on the loser vote count (as votes on Frisk are meaningless once he is voted the winner).

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »

/in
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:49:45 pm »

That makes 8!!!  I am so excited this is filling up.  As a side note, for all the players that are /in-ing, it would be helpful if you could start pm'ing me your pokemon choices so I can start thinking of roles and abilities.  You are free to change your mind up until game start and your choice wont be made public until game start but at least I can start getting a feel for what choices players will be making, if any duplicates will exist etc.  I will update the OP to include this request to all new players joining.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »

That makes 8!!!  I am so excited this is filling up.  As a side note, for all the players that are /in-ing, it would be helpful if you could start pm'ing me your pokemon choices so I can start thinking of roles and abilities.  You are free to change your mind up until game start and your choice wont be made public until game start but at least I can start getting a feel for what choices players will be making, if any duplicates will exist etc.  I will update the OP to include this request to all new players joining.

Done.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »

Just want to let you all know as PM's come in, single evolution pokemon are most definitely allowed.  Regardless of how many evolutions your choice has, I most definitely want you to be choosing your favorite pokemon.  Evolution is not the only gimmick this game is centered around; each player will be benefited by winning, regardless of whether or not that can evolve.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »

So we only need 7 more.  Also a few haven't sent me pokemon picks.  Would love to hear from the others as well.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »

Meh, might as well join. I need more distractions from work anyway :[
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 07:10:43 pm »

Meh, might as well join. I need more distractions from work anyway :[

The return of Tables! This is indeed a day of celebration.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 07:13:02 pm »

I don't even know why I was away. (Oh, right, work). I probably won't take as detailed notes this game. As in, I'll be playing mostly from gut. Which could be terrible.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

Hey Robz, what is the story of Tables?  Or tables can also tell stories of Tables.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

There's not much of a story to tell to be honest.

When mafia first started here, I joined the second game, after lobbying for a second game to be run. Then I joined the fourth game, which I enjoyed, but was constantly struggling to keep up with, and eventually lost for the town pretty much by totally forgetting the town could NL. I was also in a role mafia game, which was crazy, and I won after pulling a crazy fairy-godmother defence, which got bought for just long enough for me to win (I reckon one more IRL day and I'd have had a mass bandwagon on me). Then I kinda just disappeared from the mafia scene, I think due to a busy September, and didn't really have the motivation to join another game for some reason (because of work I think).

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 07:21:42 pm »

Hey Robz, what is the story of Tables?  Or tables can also tell stories of Tables.

And can he lured into Buffymafia?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »

When mafia first started here, I joined the second game, after lobbying for a second game to be run. Then I joined the fourth game, which I enjoyed, but was constantly struggling to keep up with, and eventually lost for the town pretty much by totally forgetting the town could NL. I was also in a role mafia game, which was crazy, and I won after pulling a crazy fairy-godmother defence, which got bought for just long enough for me to win (I reckon one more IRL day and I'd have had a mass bandwagon on me). Then I kinda just disappeared from the mafia scene, I think due to a busy September, and didn't really have the motivation to join another game for some reason (because of work I think).

Love it.  Dont worry, Tables.  This game is gonna be awesome.  You're gonna love the way you look; I guarantee it!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »

You're gonna love the way you look; I guarantee it!

I'm noooooot 100% sure they have Men's Warehouses in the UK. :P
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

Love it.  Dont worry, Tables.  This game is gonna be awesome.  You're gonna love the way you look; I guarantee it!

Yeah, Tables belongs to the Voltgloss/eHalcyon school of copious note-taking and level-headed town play. Galz and I killed him Night in M-II, and he was the Cop! So that was good.

In M-IV, he was something of an IC most the game, because SFS did a one-shot investigation of him (though we all had concerns that SFS was lying, or that Tables was an investigation-immune SK). But we also had concerns that I was the Serial Killer. Eventually it was all solved when Frisk actually admitted to being the Serial Killer in an attempt to stop the mafia from winning. It didn't work; Tables and SFS didn't believe him.

And yes, my encyclopedic memory for our Fourm Mafia games is just about filled up, as I will not be able to retain information from M-XIII and M-XV, due to being dead so early in those games.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »

Yeah, Tables belongs to the Voltgloss/eHalcyon school of copious note-taking and level-headed town play. Galz and I killed him Night in M-II, and he was the Cop! So that was good.

In M-IV, he was something of an IC most the game, because SFS did a one-shot investigation of him (though we all had concerns that SFS was lying, or that Tables was an investigation-immune SK). But we also had concerns that I was the Serial Killer. Eventually it was all solved when Frisk actually admitted to being the Serial Killer in an attempt to stop the mafia from winning. It didn't work; Tables and SFS didn't believe him.

And yes, my encyclopedic memory for our Fourm Mafia games is just about filled up, as I will not be able to retain information from M-XIII and M-XV, due to being dead so early in those games.

Just as long as you never forget MIV. :P

Man, that was a good game.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 02:07:38 pm »

6 more!

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »

I'm sad that BM5 filled up in the time it took me to get home yet this has stalled out.  I really want this to get underway.  Or least get full so it can start soon after thanksgiving (although preferably not at the same time as MXVI as I am in that as well as many that have signed up).

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »

Are you sure you are going to need 15 players to play?

Most people sign up for with set-ups that are tried and tested. That, and how short the game is, is why BM5 filled up quicker. I personally enjoy these kind of games more. :)

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »

Most people sign up for with set-ups that are tried and tested. That, and how short the game is, is why BM5 filled up quicker. I personally enjoy these kind of games more. :)

Naw blitz filled up cause Ashersky posted the link in the post game <3.  But in all honesty I would prefer a bigger setup.   I feel with the evolution mechanic I've proposed, it could take advantage much more over running for a longer number of game days.  If only one player evolves per day with multiple evolutions doing pretty badass things, it would be silly if the game ended in 3-4 game days.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 08:52:30 pm »

Naw blitz filled up cause Ashersky posted the link in the post game <3.  But in all honesty I would prefer a bigger setup.   I feel with the evolution mechanic I've proposed, it could take advantage much more over running for a longer number of game days.  If only one player evolves per day with multiple evolutions doing pretty badass things, it would be silly if the game ended in 3-4 game days.
True and True

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »

Everyone should choose Eevee.

/in
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 19 queries.