Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: fast start with tournament into rebuild  (Read 2525 times)

enquerencia

• Navigator
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
fast start with tournament into rebuild
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:36 am »

Okay, you can't open with both tournament and rebuild, but if you open tournament/silver and use your first two turns at five or better to buy rebuilds, all your four turns to buy tournament, and anything less than four to buy either cantrips or nothing at all, you can hit the prizes really fast and have a running start at the provinces that will be over probably before you even get to use some of the prizes. 

I have no simulator data or anything, but this seems like a good overall concept.  As always, it depends on what else is out there, but if tournament is the obvious choice and the prizes will matter, I think getting two rebuilds as early as possible is a good idea. 

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: fast start with tournament into rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:15:51 am »

Okay, you can't open with both tournament and rebuild, but if you open tournament/silver and use your first two turns at five or better to buy rebuilds, all your four turns to buy tournament, and anything less than four to buy either cantrips or nothing at all, you can hit the prizes really fast and have a running start at the provinces that will be over probably before you even get to use some of the prizes. 

I have no simulator data or anything, but this seems like a good overall concept.  As always, it depends on what else is out there, but if tournament is the obvious choice and the prizes will matter, I think getting two rebuilds as early as possible is a good idea.

There is mild antisynergy between Rebuild and Bag of Gold, but you can always plays your Rebuilds before BoG. On the other hand Rebuild takes care of the Duchies you get as prizes and the Estates Followers give you.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

enquerencia

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:25:46 am »

I generally only take Trusty Steed, Followers and Princess, but I think if you wanted to run this pure you could only take Followers and every other time take a Duchy and prioritize buys as Province, Rebuild, but only 2, and after that always Duchy, and then Tournament and anything less, estate, and this would be very powerful and fast. As long as you open with one silver so you can get those two rebuilds before your deck goes totally green.  Maybe 3 rebuilds.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:08 am »

It would be a little slower and perhaps not as much fun, but I think you can do something similar with Count. To my mind, what you are describing is an efficient way to gain Duchies and turn them into Provinces. Perhaps playing multiple Counts (or Tourneys) and Rebuilds in a turn could be a new mega-turn ending. If you trash down your deck into 6-8 Duchie-gainers and Rebuilds, you could go out with a bang. But, now that I say that, it seems pretty unlikely you will be able to get all the cards you need fast enough to pull it off.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:00 am »

Hmm, I don't know about that mega-turn ending. From my experience Duchies are often the bottleneck in Rebuild games. They are usually gone first and then there's no point in Duchy gainers any more.

enquerencia

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:39 am »
+1

Hmm, I don't know about that mega-turn ending. From my experience Duchies are often the bottleneck in Rebuild games. They are usually gone first and then there's no point in Duchy gainers any more.

That's totally true.  Getting the Duchies out of the game is also a great defense against an opponent running a Rebuild.  If you see your opponent buying estates and you know they're going to become duchies, reduce the duchies to zero and those estates become nothings.  I also encountered how awesome Counts can be for getting all the Duchies.  Count doesn't do much to reduce other pile sizes though, but Tourney Rebuild helps you focus on Provinces.  The thing is Tourney Province is a pretty swingy setup to begin with, the kind of thing that "snowballs," so anything that gives you the edge in the snowballing is really beneficial.  But if your opponent is doing the same thing you might as well consider it to be a really fast, really boring game that depends completely on luck. I almost want to give myself a -1 now that I realize that this is a swingy luck based combo at heart.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:15:04 am »
+1

That's totally true.  Getting the Duchies out of the game is also a great defense against an opponent running a Rebuild.  If you see your opponent buying estates and you know they're going to become duchies, reduce the duchies to zero and those estates become nothings.  I also encountered how awesome Counts can be for getting all the Duchies.  Count doesn't do much to reduce other pile sizes though, but Tourney Rebuild helps you focus on Provinces.  The thing is Tourney Province is a pretty swingy setup to begin with, the kind of thing that "snowballs," so anything that gives you the edge in the snowballing is really beneficial.  But if your opponent is doing the same thing you might as well consider it to be a really fast, really boring game that depends completely on luck. I almost want to give myself a -1 now that I realize that this is a swingy luck based combo at heart.

Nah, don't be hard on yourself. I agree it's really strong until your opponent starts denying you those Duchies. And in a mirror it's just super fast and hence swingy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.338 seconds with 21 queries.