Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22  All

Author Topic: Witch's Brew I - Trouble's Brewing (Galzria wins!)  (Read 39311 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Witch's Brew I - Trouble's Brewing
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 08:51:52 am »

I might as well use this thread rather than make a new one. I have posted the rules to the very first post so that it's easy to find. I think I have my spreadsheet laid out. I invite you to take a look. I wanted to ensure that everything is presented in an easy-to-view format for you.

So far, I've not seen any objections to random starting hands, but I'll leave this idea open for a little longer. I'll send you links to the Quick Topics later today.
A man has no signature

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 09:58:42 am »

Game state chart looks great.  Only one suggested edit:  make clear that "I am the Witch/Druid/Wizard" allows you to not only brew that role's potion at cost, but also spend one extra ingredient to nab a vial on the side.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 10:01:47 am »

Also, I think everyone should keep in mind the "most important rule of all" cited on the bottom of page 4 of the rulebook, because it's a departure from other games we've played on the forums (CE, especially):

• The most important rule of all: before his turn in a round, a player
is not allowed to suggest or hint whether or not he has a certain role
card in his hand.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20:48 am »

Game state chart looks great.  Only one suggested edit:  make clear that "I am the Witch/Druid/Wizard" allows you to not only brew that role's potion at cost, but also spend one extra ingredient to nab a vial on the side.

So noted. I have added a footnote to those three roles. The footnote should also serve as a reminder that no vials can be brewed with the warlock, cutpurse, or begging monk.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 10:37:29 am »

Also, I think everyone should keep in mind the "most important rule of all" cited on the bottom of page 4 of the rulebook, because it's a departure from other games we've played on the forums (CE, especially):

card in his hand.

SOMEONE over there has a hand full of Negotiates. Stop sandbagging Volt. We all know it's true.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

card in his hand.

SOMEONE over there has a hand full of Negotiates. Stop sandbagging Volt. We all know it's true.

I love this community so much.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40:30 am »

I know I should probably treat this like Dungeon Lords phase 1, but man it's hard to conceptualize what's needed first, to build to the more powerful things later.

I'll need to actually study the order of X -> Y -> Z before we fully launch.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:36 am »

card in his hand.

+650.  Well played, sir.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 11:48:23 am »

If it helps, the game state represents what the opening of the game will be. I have already placed you randomly, so Voltgloss will be the poor bastard lucky first player. Once someone starts, you'll be falling into place. And the current idea is still to have random hands so that you'll get to see how everything falls into place before you have to make your own decision of which cards to take.

One hint I'll give is that if you're starting a round, you may consider playing the card that you won't feel bad about losing. You can't start off with So Be It, so odds are likely that someone is going to steal your role. Although, there's always the possibility that the second and third players will play So Be It because they expect the fourth or fifth player to take it, only they don't have the card in their hands. Long story short: It depends on the kingdom.
A man has no signature

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

what do vials do again? i can't find it in the rules
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:25 pm »

Vials are extra victory points at the end of the game.
A man has no signature

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 02:19:18 pm »

Vials are extra victory points at the end of the game.

1 VP per vial.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

ok, that's all? you don't need them to make potions or anything?

i guess i did understand them.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 02:38:21 pm »

I've sent out QT links. Please make sure that the link has your name on it. I'm not used to QTs, and it'd be just my luck that I send the same link to two different people.

As I said in the e-mail, we'll proceed when you feel comfortable. Don't feel like you have to rush your first turn, though if you have to pass, then please do that quickly.

Voltgloss plays the first card.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »

ok, that's all? you don't need them to make potions or anything?

i guess i did understand them.

To further this... All you need to "brew" is the cauldron, bought with the "ingredients", correct? (That is, you play the card to acquire the cauldron, and assuming you get it, and pay for it, that basically IS the potion... Right? Or am I missing a step?)

Are the more expensive cauldrons worth more VP?

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 02:44:48 pm »

Card Play:  I am the Herb Collector!

To further this... All you need to "brew" is the cauldron, bought with the "ingredients", correct? (That is, you play the card to acquire the cauldron, and assuming you get it, and pay for it, that basically IS the potion... Right? Or am I missing a step?)

I think that's right.  The rules refer to "cauldrons" (acquired via Witch/Wizard/Druid) and "potion shelves" (acquired via Begging Monk/Cutpurse) and I think Kuildeous's chart uses the term "potion" generically to refer to both cauldrons and potion shelves.

I see one ambiguity:  I think the Warlock spell "Brew any one potion using the required ingredients" only applies to Witch/Wizard/Druid cauldrons.  I.e., you can't use that spell to get a Begging Monk/Cutpurse potion shelf.  Kuildeous, is that correct?

Quote from: Galzria

Yes, VP on the cauldron cards ranges from 2 to 6, while VP on the potion shelf cards ranges from 2 to 5.  But at any given time you can only buy the topmost (most inexpensive) cauldron or potion shelf in its stack.  You can't get to the more expensive ones until the cheap ones have already been bought.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 02:58:56 pm »

Still working on understanding the rules but Pass
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 03:06:11 pm »

that means you do not have the herb collector card, right?

she/her

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »

that means you do not have the herb collector card, right?

Correct I'm that far I'm trying I understand the cards and getting cauldrons potions etc
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 03:16:36 pm »

As I understand the chart, I'm third? Pass

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »

Grujah's turn when he gets here.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »

I have revised the spreadsheet to reduce ambiguity. Cauldrons are brewed by the Witch, Wizard, and Druid. You play the card and then pay the listed ingredients for the topmost card of that type. If you do not have the ingredients or do not wish to brew a cauldron, you simply give up that option.

This differs from the shelves, which requires the Begging Monk or the Cutpurse. These are attack cards that reduce the amount of ingredients and gold of the other players. What is "contributed" by the other players go toward paying the cost of the topmost shelf card of the appropriate type. The active player can then pay the difference, if necessary, to get the shelf. Otherwise, the ingredients/gold stays on that shelf for the next time that card is played.

Yes. The VP is on the chart next to the cost. If the VP has an asterisk that means that it's a raven card and can contribute to ending the game.

I think the Warlock spell "Brew any one potion using the required ingredients" only applies to Witch/Wizard/Druid cauldrons.  I.e., you can't use that spell to get a Begging Monk/Cutpurse potion shelf.  Kuildeous, is that correct?

You are correct. I used a sloppy term that is normally used around my table. I'm keeping it strictly about cauldrons and shelves. I've also updated the spreadsheet so the card correctly refers to cauldrons.
A man has no signature

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:53 pm »

Should the Vials be hidden according the rules your allowed to hide them, although with a log like this I suppose its not really possible

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 04:32:56 pm »

Pretty sure I understand now, excited!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »

Should the Vials be hidden according the rules your allowed to hide them, although with a log like this I suppose its not really possible

Nevermind saw the OP change
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22  All

Page created in 1.997 seconds with 19 queries.