Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Play Variant 2: Blitz  (Read 2354 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Dominion Play Variant 2: Blitz
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »

Just a thought I had...make the game faster by dividing the quantity of the piles in half, so there would be 4 Provinces Duchies, Estates, ect. Curses and Ruins would stay the same, though I don't know why that would be a problem because if you wanted a fast game why did you put in cursers in the first place... anyway, just an idea if anyone wanted to play a really fast game IRL. 
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Play Variant 2: Blitz
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »

I expect that in most cases, big money will dominate. I mean (assuming you aren't CC) how quickly can you build an engine that'll get at least 2 Provinces faster than a flat BM approach would?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »
+1

I expect that in most cases, big money will dominate. I mean (assuming you aren't CC) how quickly can you build an engine that'll get at least 2 Provinces faster than a flat BM approach would?

Depends on the kingdom.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
+8

Depends on the kingdom.

No, I already said 'most cases'. Your attempt to get more respect will not work against me, no sir.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
+1

Depends on the kingdom.

No, I already said 'most cases'. Your attempt to get more respect will not work against me, no sir.

Heh.  Actually, I think I'd agree with you until proven wrong by a simulator.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »
+1

I think there is one case where this could get interesting, though, and that's alt VP cards. How quickly can one get 4 Estates, 4 Ironworks and 4 Gardens? Silk Road as well, of course, and perhaps Feodum? Man, if both players go IW+Gardens, the game would probably be over in, what, 6 or so turns?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »
+1

Ironworks aren't at 4. (Actually I'm not sure if they're supposed to be at 5 or 10, and why Curses and Ruins are exempt from this condition.)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:39:05 am »
+1

Sorry, yes, 5 Ironworks. Guess that just means player 1 has a huge edge in getting a 3-2 split.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:09 am »

Would this variant run the risk of increasing the first-player advantage? The 2nd player has even fewer opportunities to gain a tempo on their opponent.

Regarding provinces vs. alt VPs, yeah that's interesting because with provinces the time taken to crank up to 8 Gold per turn will still be the same, it's just the greening phase will be shorter (probably oversimplifying it there though). So maybe with alt VPs like those mentioned you might stand a better chance of winning that race. However it should be noted that half as provinces is half as many points, but - to take an example - half as many dukes (assuming half as many duchies also) is a quarter as many points. This could maybe be the death knell right there.

The gardens scenario pointed out only has 22 cards, so the gardens are costing 4 and are only worth two, and it only gives you a total of 15 points, the same as 2 provinces (including starting estates obviously), where as traditionally you're looking at say all 8 gardens and probably under 50 cards (you bought out the estates say) giving you 43 points, which requires 7 provinces to equal. The Blitz version is much weaker in that sense, so it really does need to be super quick.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.