Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Top-decking junk as insurance  (Read 2188 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Top-decking junk as insurance
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »

Having had two games where this was worth considering, I'd like to know who else has done this much. Basically, when have you used a top-decking ability to deliberately put junk on your deck as protection against an Attack or other card an opponent might play? One of my favourites is in games with Secret Chamber and Scrying Pool - they're already pretty nice to start with, since you can use one to feed the other, but if you've got the Chamber in hand when your opponent plays their Pool there's nothing nicer than pulling up a couple of Victory or Treasure cards, then putting a junk card and a spare Action back on top. Almost invariably they'll see the junk card and leave it there, letting you get rid of it with a Pool of your own and moving straight onto a guaranteed Action. Alternatively, you could always put a card that they're likely to make you discard that you didn't actually want in the first place - like a Gold you don't want to draw until the end of a run of Pools.

Another case I can think of is using top-decking with Scheme, Herbalist or Watchtower to deliberately put a bad card into your hand to use against, say, Masquerade. Of course it's most helpful when you know that your opponent is almost certainly going to play the card in their turn, or if you have an alternative use for it (or a way to make it not matter that it's in your hand).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Top-decking junk as insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:16:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've topdecked a victory card or two against Possession decks that were likely to control that next turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:44 pm »

I often topdeck a curse if I inning I that my opponent is going to play Mountebank next turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:29 am »

Yes it's a good tactic. Put together every little advantage you can find in Dominion and together they can make a difference.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42:19 am »

WanderingWinder once posted a really neat game where he used stashes to defend against saboteurs. Those are the kind of things I usually notice when it's already way too late...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:47:45 am »

On the other hand, I sometimes leave a card between my 4 Stashes and my top card when I'm likely to get attacked by Sea Hag or something like that.

So it's not topdecking junk, but paying mind to topdecking nonetheless.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »

On the other hand, I sometimes leave a card between my 4 Stashes and my top card when I'm likely to get attacked by Sea Hag or something like that.

So it's not topdecking junk, but paying mind to topdecking nonetheless.
It's essentially topdecking junk.  Based on the information you have about facedown cards, stashes are good and everything else is "junk"

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:12 am »
+3

WanderingWinder once posted a really neat game where he used stashes to defend against saboteurs. Those are the kind of things I usually notice when it's already way too late...

I miss Wandering Winder... :'(
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.376 seconds with 21 queries.