Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Power Grid promo card  (Read 10336 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Power Grid promo card
« on: November 08, 2012, 06:52:30 pm »
+1

Friedemann personally explained Power Grid to me, in case I could come up with a Dominion promo that tied into it. I didn't think of one (incidentally Jay insisted it would have to be a victory card, get it) and did Puerto Rico instead. That all worked out. I haven't played Power Grid though, or the other games on the list.

How would you design a Power Grid promo card?  Preserving the Victory Card theme, of course.  It seems very tricky to do.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Power Grid promo card
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

The stack of victory cards are numbered 1-12 and randomized. They are each worth a certain number of points, maybe variable costs/points with higher numbers having a higher cost/score. Instead of going into your deck, they are placed permanently in front of you. If you have the lowest numbered power plant victory card (or no victory card), the cost is reduced some amount.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:00:39 pm »

Well, the closest mechanism I can think of to Power Grid would be something like "While this is in play: All action cards whose supply pile contains at least 9 cards cost $1 less. All action cards whose supply pile contains less than 5 cards cost $1 more."

The idea is to have something close to Power Grid's best (IMHO) mechanic: The resource market.

However, this would definitely be on an Action card. Maybe a victory card could have something like: "At the end of the game, this is worth 2 VP for each empty supply pile."
Again, it tries to emphasize the resource market mechanic. However, it seems like a very boring card.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:05:27 pm »
+1

Factory
Action - Vicotry
+1 Vp
While this is in play other victory cards cost 1 less
1 VP
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
+2

I think just zeroing in one one part of Power Grid s the way to go here.

For Power Grid's step system of opening new cities for a higher cost, make the price variable depending on the number of piles empty.
Step 1 (0 empty piles) - Cost 4
Step 2 (1 empty pile) - Cost 5
Step 3 (2 empty piles) - Cost 6

For example
(Name Card Here)
Victory - $2
For each empty pile this card costs $1 more
2 VP

(Don't take that as the actual card, just an example as I have no idea how to price cards and I know it can be improved upon or done at a higher cost with more points or done with other abilities)

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:32:48 pm »

Black Magic
$4
2 VP
When you gain this, each player passes one card to the player on his left.

I couldn't really think of anything to go with the electricity idea other than "black magic", so I tossed in an on-gain Masq. ability for fun.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »
+1

Power Grid
Action-Victory - $3
+1 action
Play a side game of Power Grid on a board of your choice in regions of your choice, and you start with €60. The winning player draws a card.
---
2VPs

"I'll start my turn by King's Courting a Power Grid..."

(In serious though, I don't have any good ideas)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:24 pm »

I don't get why Jay would insist on it being a Victory card.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »

I don't get why Jay would insist on it being a Victory card.

Me neither.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:52 pm »
+3

Because Friedemann Friese is known for being green both in terms of his box covers and his hair.  In fact, the Power Grid card would ideally be named F____ to further go along with the Friese theme -- all of his games start with F.  (Power Grid was originally published as Funkenschlag.)

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
+1

Because Friedemann Friese is known for being green both in terms of his box covers and his hair.  In fact, the Power Grid card would ideally be named F____ to further go along with the Friese theme -- all of his games start with F.  (Power Grid was originally published as Funkenschlag.)

Wait...I already knew all of this. I feel silly.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 10:21:20 pm »

It should be called Furnace. How about  +2 coins, when you first play furnace you must select a type of card (treasure, curse, victory, action) and for the rest of the game you may trash one card of that type when you play a furnace.

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:12 pm »
+1

How about something like this? The name is pretty crap though XD

Flower Grid
Action - Victory
$6*

Play this card as if it were an Action card in the supply other than Flower Grid. Trash a card from that supply pile.
Worth 1 VP, and 2 VP more for each empty supply pile.
---------
This card costs $1 more for each empty supply pile.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:57 am »

Flour Mill
6 - Victory
Worth 4VP
When you buy this, at the end of this turn's Cleanup Phase, each player draws a card. Then, starting with the player to your left and moving around any number of times, reveals their hand and can set aside any number of Coppers from it. The last player that set aside a number of Coppers greater than the number any other player set aside trashes their set-aside Coppers and gains a Flour Mill.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:13 am »

The sane(r) idea:

Grid of Power - $7
Victory

Worth 0 VP
When you gain this, set it aside.
--------
When the game would end, you may trash this. If you do, instead, take an extra turn after this one.

The crazier idea:

Grid of Power - $8
Victory

Worth 3 VP
When you gain this, set it aside.
--------
When the game would end, you may trash this. If you do, instead, take an extra turn after this one. Set aside any cards you gain that turn. At the start of Clean-up that turn, trash your hand, deck, and discard pile. Then, return this and all other set aside cards to your discard pile.

Both cards are based on the mechanic from Power Grid that it only matters what your output is on the last turn; you don't score victory points during the game at all. Get that engine built!

buggy

• Scout
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
    • Interactivities Ink
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 11:45:20 am »

I like Ozle's idea, but I wonder if it could be something that makes Village variants cost less somehow.  That way your card is powering Cities like in Power Grid.

Hm, is this too complex:

Foundry
Victory - Reaction
1 VP
You may reveal and discard this from your hand at the start of your Buy phase.  If you do, cards that have the word City or Village in their title cost $1 less this turn (but not less than $0).
Setup:  Add an extra Kingdom card pile that has the word City or Village in its title to the Supply if there is not one already.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »
+1

Floodgate
Types: Victory
Cost: $3 or $4
Worth 2 VP.
--------------------------------------------
When you gain this, set aside any number of cards from your hand face down. Return them to your hand at the start of your next turn.

There we go. Starts with 'F', is a Victory card, and has to do with the distribution of a resource (in this case water rather than electricity). Just like you can save your money turn-to-turn in Power Grid for a big spending turn, you can save up your cards. However, if you do this repeatedly, you risk your deck stagnating.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:43:54 pm by LastFootnote »

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 03:22:51 pm »

Maybe worth a card design contest?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:20 pm »
+1

Isn't that essentially what's happening here?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »

Isn't that essentially what's happening here?

He probably means with voting, etc.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:17 pm »

How about a card that is 2VP + 1VP per empty supply pile.
It would give players some incentive to 3-pile or even 5- or 6-pile if they can ;)
It should probably be priced at 6$.

Edit: After reconsidering the idea I guess it might be too hard to pull off at 6$ but at 5$ it's just strictly better than duchy. So the solution might be to make it 1VP + 1VP per empty supply pile at 4$?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:34:26 pm by PitzerMike »

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »

How about a card that is 2VP + 1VP per empty supply pile.
It would give players some incentive to 3-pile or even 5- or 6-pile if they can ;)
It should probably be priced at 6$.

Edit: After reconsidering the idea I guess it might be too hard to pull off at 6$ but at 5$ it's just strictly better than duchy. So the solution might be to make it 1VP + 1VP per empty supply pile at 4$?

I designed a card which incorporated this feature about 5 posts up, made it 1VP + 2VP per empty supply pile for $6 (plus a Band of Misfits-like trashing effect); but it cost $1 more for each empty supply pile, to reflect the rising prices of resources in Power Grid. If it's going to be just a victory card then I would suggest 2+1, at $5+$1X (or even 3+1 for $6 + $1X), where X is the number of empty piles.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 06:33:06 pm »

I designed a card which incorporated this feature about 5 posts up, made it 1VP + 2VP per empty supply pile for $6 (plus a Band of Misfits-like trashing effect); but it cost $1 more for each empty supply pile, to reflect the rising prices of resources in Power Grid. If it's going to be just a victory card then I would suggest 2+1, at $5+$1X (or even 3+1 for $6 + $1X), where X is the number of empty piles.

Oh, I must have skipped your post. The rising cost with each emptied pile is cute, i like that. :)
It also makes it so it's not strictly better than duchy at 2+1VP and 5+1$.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 07:10:36 pm »

I was thinking about Power Grid promo yesterday, don't have a card ready, but I think the idea is far enough to post it here, maybe someone will fill the holes better than I can :)

So I wanted to start with electricity. The only medieval "source" of electricity is a lightning. Then power plant #50 came to my mind (http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic135555_lg.jpg - at the bottom), as everyone I play Power Grid with says this one is powered by lightnings closed in the glass ball. So this should not be an ordinary lightning. Ball lightning is definitely more cool. And the cool thing I would like to do with a ball lightning is throwing it at my opponents.

And the card of course has to be Victory card as well, to be at least partially green :) Working off cards you trashed - the more your lightnings burn, the more victorious you are.

So what I have right now is:

Ball Lightning
Action-Attack-Victory
(some attack here, maybe some small bonus as well if the attack isn't too strong to allow this)
----------------
Worth 1 VP for each 5 cards on your trash card (rounded down).
----------------
In games using this, each player uses his own trash card to store cards he trashes.

The set would come as 19 cards: 12 standard, 1 randomizer, 6 alternate art trash cards. Or maybe 6 trash mats - so that the Dominion time machine works at least a bit ;)

What I'm most unsure about is the attack text. It definitely should be a trashing attack. A lightning is something that could take two objects and melt them into one - so I thought about something like a forced Forge, where your opponent doesn't have full control about what he receives. But is should not decrease the deck size (as this could lead to people ending up with too small decks to do anything). I tried to invent something good but so far couldn't, so I decided to post it, maybe someone has a good idea for attack for this card :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »

...everyone I play Power Grid with says this one is powered by lightnings closed in the glass ball.

That's very odd... I think it is specifically supposed to be a fusion-based power plant.

Part of the problem with a card for Power Grid is that there is a lot going on in PG.  What do you focus on?  The resource market?  The auction?  The scoring method?  (Obviously city placement would be ridiculous.)  Since other Power Grid-theme games all have an auction market of some sort, I really think an auction card might be interesting, though tough to "price":

Forest
$0* - Victory
N VP
At the start of your buy phase, you may indicate your intent to buy this card, and name a price equal to at least half this card's value in victory points, rounded down.  Each other player, going clockwise around the table, may name a higher price or pass.  Once all but one player has passed, that player pays coins equal to the final named price, and gains this card.

-----

The Forest stack contains twelve cards, with values of 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, and 8 VP.  At the start of the game, remove the 1 VP card from the stack and shuffle the remaining cards, placing the stack face-down.  Then place the 1 VP card on top of it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.