Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Power Grid promo card  (Read 10398 times)

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
Re: Power Grid promo card
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »

Mill (Or better name, to be decided)
Cost: 6$
Victory
At the end of the game, count the number of mills still in the supply pile.
Mill is worth 1 VP per mill remaining.

Sort of plays on the backstabbing aspect of power grid, where you can buy out resources from underneath each other. Could also serve as a way to deny other players points by buying them, but competes with gold.

Thoughts?

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »

I was thinking about Power Grid promo yesterday, don't have a card ready, but I think the idea is far enough to post it here, maybe someone will fill the holes better than I can :)

So I wanted to start with electricity. The only medieval "source" of electricity is a lightning. Then power plant #50 came to my mind (http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic135555_lg.jpg - at the bottom), as everyone I play Power Grid with says this one is powered by lightnings closed in the glass ball. So this should not be an ordinary lightning. Ball lightning is definitely more cool. And the cool thing I would like to do with a ball lightning is throwing it at my opponents.

And the card of course has to be Victory card as well, to be at least partially green :) Working off cards you trashed - the more your lightnings burn, the more victorious you are.

So what I have right now is:

Ball Lightning
Action-Attack-Victory
(some attack here, maybe some small bonus as well if the attack isn't too strong to allow this)
----------------
Worth 1 VP for each 5 cards on your trash card (rounded down).
----------------
In games using this, each player uses his own trash card to store cards he trashes.

The set would come as 19 cards: 12 standard, 1 randomizer, 6 alternate art trash cards. Or maybe 6 trash mats - so that the Dominion time machine works at least a bit ;)

What I'm most unsure about is the attack text. It definitely should be a trashing attack. A lightning is something that could take two objects and melt them into one - so I thought about something like a forced Forge, where your opponent doesn't have full control about what he receives. But is should not decrease the deck size (as this could lead to people ending up with too small decks to do anything). I tried to invent something good but so far couldn't, so I decided to post it, maybe someone has a good idea for attack for this card :)

The main problem with this card is that there may not be any trashing. Well, if you make it a trashing attack there will be, but that would just power up other players' Ball Lightnings. So, if there's no trashing other than Ball Lightning, this card is not worth buying.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »

Mill (Or better name, to be decided)
Cost: 6$
Victory
At the end of the game, count the number of mills still in the supply pile.
Mill is worth 1 VP per mill remaining.

Sort of plays on the backstabbing aspect of power grid, where you can buy out resources from underneath each other. Could also serve as a way to deny other players points by buying them, but competes with gold.

Thoughts?

That's a brilliant card.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:23 pm »

The mill is interesting but will cause politics in multiplayer games, especially when they start at 12vp.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:23 pm »

The mill is interesting but will cause politics in multiplayer games, especially when they start at 12vp.
They'll start at 11, and I don't see how they'll cause politics. The card itself is a risk, but its cost lets it to be TfB when it gets too low on points (if the board allows)

Maybe have it start like a normal kingdom pile - 10 cards, but i think it would be too strong in 2 player and too weak in 3/4 player.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 07:23:42 am »

Feodum would have worked - the idea being that you use the silver to make "wires" to connect your "power plants".

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 07:45:30 am »

Combining ideas from the thread:

A pile of unique cards (at least 12), all of which are partially victory cards. Some are action/victory, some are treasure/victory, and some are pure victory. You pick 8 or 12 randomly, and the cards are stacked in a fixed order determined by a number written on the card. The top n cards are available to be bought or gained, where n is the number of players. As you go down the pile, the cards get more powerful, but more expensive.

All the action and treasure cards share the need to either discard, trash or play a card to get their effect, of which there'll be certain restrictions. This represents the different resources needed to power the plants in power grid.

To get the pile moving, maybe some of them could be strictly better than other cards (eg an "oasis" with 1VP for $3, a "stables" with 1VP for $5).

At least one card near the bottom of the pile will be a card that gives you VP based on how many of these you have, to represent the "power grid". I'd also envision one card simply being the most powerful card in dominion, like a straight 15VP for $14 - representing that fusion power station at the end of the pile in Power Grid.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 09:24:11 am »

Another idea could be for each player to have a reference card printed on both sides for the 'furnace'. When a player gains a 'furnace' they can flip the reference card to either side and the side shown will dictate the effect of the furnace, i.e. which resources are being used by their power plants.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.524 seconds with 20 queries.