Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 179829 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:54 pm »

But (unless you watched the leaks) you can't be sure Doran wasn't cut from the show. Also, he isn't a king in the book.

And I didn't read the books. You can spoil everything from aired episodes, just put the rest in spoiler tags... otherwise there's no real point in using spoiler tags at all.

PPE: And I also don't watch previous! I don't want to be spoiled. Previous spoil.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2015, 03:08:51 pm »

But (unless you watched the leaks) you can't be sure Doran wasn't cut from the show. Also, he isn't a king in the book.

And I didn't read the books. You can spoil everything from aired episodes, just put the rest in spoiler tags... otherwise there's no real point in using spoiler tags at all.

PPE: And I also don't watch previous! I don't want to be spoiled. Previous spoil.

I didn't spoil anything from the books.  Everything I said was in the aired episodes.  At least, I'm 90% sure they've brought up Doran Martell.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2015, 03:11:12 pm »

being mentinoed ≠ showing up

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2015, 03:14:53 pm »

I mean, you can see the man's face in the "next week on Game of Thrones" that comes on right after the episode; we're not going to worry here about putting that in spoiler tags.  Dorne has been pretty intimately connected with the plot thus far; it's no great surprise that we can expect to see more of it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 13, 2015, 04:27:33 pm »

I've been reading the books and haven't seen the show at all.  I am now in Chapter 34 of A Feast For Crows.  I saw a "catch-up" article for GoT recently and it looks like I'm actually a bit ahead of the show now, at least as far as the show is faithful.  Is that accurate?  Maybe I should start watching it now. :P

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2015, 04:30:50 pm »
+2

I've been reading the books and haven't seen the show at all.  I am now in Chapter 34 of A Feast For Crows.  I saw a "catch-up" article for GoT recently and it looks like I'm actually a bit ahead of the show now, at least as far as the show is faithful.  Is that accurate?  Maybe I should start watching it now. :P

It's a delicate situation.  Essentially, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons run concurrently, at least for part of it, with the PoV characters split between the books.  I imagine the show will not follow the same narrative style.  So things that happen in the show in the timeline as A Feast for Crows will probably include things that happen in A Dance with Dragons.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:02 pm »

It's a delicate situation.  Essentially, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons run concurrently, at least for part of it, with the PoV characters split between the books.  I imagine the show will not follow the same narrative style.  So things that happen in the show in the timeline as A Feast for Crows will probably include things that happen in A Dance with Dragons.

Ahh.  I guess I will just keep reading until I'm all caught up.  It's not like I'm lacking for things to watch anyway.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »

Well I think you can start watching it now.  You just may want to finish Dance with Dragons before you start Season 5.  Essentially the start of Season 5 is around the timeline of the start of A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2015, 04:37:11 pm »

I'd also recommend starting to watch the show with the first season, in case that's not what you were planning.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2015, 04:47:48 pm »

You would be fine watching the first three seasons.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2015, 04:52:46 pm »

Well I think you can start watching it now.  You just may want to finish Dance with Dragons before you start Season 5.  Essentially the start of Season 5 is around the timeline of the start of A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons.

Except Bran's storyline is all caught up to the end of ADWD.  And it looks like the show is going to skip Sansa's AFFC storyline altogether.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »

Except Bran's storyline is all caught up to the end of ADWD.  And it looks like the show is going to skip Sansa's AFFC storyline altogether.

Right, so maybe only through Season 3, like Robz said. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2015, 05:21:22 pm »

Dorne? Isn't that the unhealthy looking birthmark on Loras?

Dorne is the large kingdom to the south.  It's hot there, and the natives are dark skinned and have features similar to Spaniards.

This is mostly irrelevant to the story, but the similarities between Dorne and medieval Andalusia (Southern Spain) are not limited to the physical features of the Dornish. There is also the clothing, the architecture, the customs, the food, the climate, the geography, etc.

But apparently the history of Dorne and the Seven Kingdoms is a rehash of that of Wales and England. Some people thought it was boring and uninspired, but somehow weren't bothered by the whole Stark-Lannister conflict being a fantasy version of the War of the Roses.

#ThingsYouLearnWhileResearchingASOIAF
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2015, 05:22:35 pm »

Yeah I'd start from the first season.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:44 pm »

Dorne is the large kingdom to the south.  It's hot there, and the natives are dark skinned and have features similar to Spaniards.

This is mostly irrelevant to the story, but the similarities between Dorne and medieval Andalusia (Southern Spain) are not limited to the physical features of the Dornish. There is also the clothing, the architecture, the customs, the food, the climate, the geography, etc.

But apparently the history of Dorne and the Seven Kingdoms is a rehash of that of Wales and England. Some people thought it was boring and uninspired, but somehow weren't bothered by the whole Stark-Lannister conflict being a fantasy version of the War of the Roses.

Yeah, and we all know that somewhere, to the East, there be dragons.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »

But Wales is west of England...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

It's also east.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2015, 05:41:28 pm »

The last dragon died over a century ago, lad.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »

Also, he isn't a king in the book.

He's a Prince in the show too.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:40 pm »

That was just me misspeaking.  I haven't seen anything that hasn't aired.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:20 pm »

That was just me misspeaking.  I haven't seen anything that hasn't aired.

I mean, he's been called a prince in previous seasons.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »

So I was further along than I thought.  I just finished A Feast for Crows.  I thought I was only halfway through because the preceding book had twice as many chapters.  Not sure about actual length of the text though (I'm reading it on my phone, where it's a lot harder to judge progress vs. a physical book).

And now I am sad because there were a bunch of cliffhangers and it seems unlikely that they'll be resolved in A Dance With Dragons, given that it will deal with another set of characters.  Huh.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2015, 11:35:19 pm »
+1

So I was further along than I thought.  I just finished A Feast for Crows.  I thought I was only halfway through because the preceding book had twice as many chapters.  Not sure about actual length of the text though (I'm reading it on my phone, where it's a lot harder to judge progress vs. a physical book).

And now I am sad because there were a bunch of cliffhangers and it seems unlikely that they'll be resolved in A Dance With Dragons, given that it will deal with another set of characters.  Huh.

Dance with Dragons passes A Feast for Crows timeline during the book, so you do get to see some of the characters.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:34 pm »

Dance with Dragons passes A Feast for Crows timeline during the book, so you do get to see some of the characters.

I don't remember any of the cliffhangers being actually resolved in Dance of Dragons. You just get confirmation as to he conclusion of some events but not of what happened exactly.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30  All

Page created in 2.27 seconds with 20 queries.