Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 179862 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:06 am »

Am I forgetting how big a character LSH was? She wasn't really on my radar much at all. She appeared only a couple of times, right? Why is there so much love for her? I just don't get why this is a big deal to so many people.

It's just COOL. We really don't know how important she is at this point, though. So you're right about that.

I think she will be big. My guess is that the sword Stannis claims to be Lightbringer (that's the name of it right?) is actually the flaming sword that red priest with Beric Dondarion uses. So she will at least play a medium sized role in later books/episodes with some conflict to aquire that sword for Daernys (how ever her nameis spelled).

Thoros didn't use a "flaming sword" really.  He simply coated his swords in oil and set them aflame.  The fire ruined the sword, so he continually had to buy new ones.  There is a passage in the book where a blacksmith laments this.  I assume Melisandre is playing similar tricks with Stannis.  She may be able to make his look more authentic with her abilities and various items, but it's still just a trick.  A specific point is made that Stannis' sword radiates no heat.  So, an illusion of some kind.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2014, 11:07:31 am »

Am I forgetting how big a character LSH was? She wasn't really on my radar much at all. She appeared only a couple of times, right? Why is there so much love for her? I just don't get why this is a big deal to so many people.

It's just COOL. We really don't know how important she is at this point, though. So you're right about that.

I think she will be big. My guess is that the sword Stannis claims to be Lightbringer (that's the name of it right?) is actually the flaming sword that red priest with Beric Dondarion uses. So she will at least play a medium sized role in later books/episodes with some conflict to aquire that sword for Daernys (how ever her nameis spelled).

Thoros didn't use a "flaming sword" really.  He simply coated his swords in oil and set them aflame.  The fire ruined the sword, so he continually had to buy new ones.  There is a passage in the book where a blacksmith laments this.  I assume Melisandre is playing similar tricks with Stannis.  She may be able to make his look more authentic with her abilities and various items, but it's still just a trick.  A specific point is made that Stannis' sword radiates no heat.  So, an illusion of some kind.

Good old Aemon made the comment about "Lightbringer" not radiating any heat, but that is the only hint we have that Stannis is not the new Azor Ahai (plus his "I don't believe in  nonsense" attitude, and Daenerys fitting the prophecy better, I think). We do not know what Melisandre thinks, though. Unlike Thoros's sword, it might still be real magic which created this iteration of Lightbringer, which might just lead her to believe that it's only lacking power because it didn't go through the whole ritual/sacrifice stuff, as in the legend of the original one.

Wait, is there anything I should spoiler in this post?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:11:12 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2014, 11:11:08 am »
+1

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2014, 11:17:50 am »

Good old Aemon made the comment about "Lightbringer" not radiating any heat, but that is the only hint we have that Stannis is not the new Azor Ahai (plus his "I don't believe in  nonsense" attitude, and Daenerys fitting the prophecy better, I think). We do not know what Melisandre thinks, though. Unlike Thoros's sword, it might still be real magic which created this iteration of Lightbringer, which might just lead her to believe that it's only lacking power because it didn't go through the whole ritual/sacrifice stuff, as in the legend of the original one.

Wait, is there anything I should spoiler in this post?

Well, yes, I'm sure some kind of "magic" is involved, in Melisandre's sense of magic.  But my guess is that Melisandre is just making it look like Lightbringer to further her agenda, whatever that is exactly.

Anyway, I wanted to emphasize that Stannis' sword is certainly not the same sword that Thoros used.. particularly because there was no single sword that Thoros used.

And, nah, nothing huge is given away here, I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2014, 11:18:24 am »
+1

But Davos is Lightbringer?

Or Jon :P

But we all know it's really Hodor.

Edit: Actually, I was thinking of Azor Ahai.  I didn't really fully register what you said there.  Neat writeup :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:27:41 am by Witherweaver »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2014, 11:35:49 pm »
+1

Good old Aemon made the comment about "Lightbringer" not radiating any heat, but that is the only hint we have that Stannis is not the new Azor Ahai (plus his "I don't believe in  nonsense" attitude, and Daenerys fitting the prophecy better, I think).

Plus Melisandre's "I pray for a vision of Azor Ahai, but R'hllor shows me only [Jon] Snow."

We do not know what Melisandre thinks, though.

Not so; we know Melisandre thinks Stannis is Azor Ahai.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
+2

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:39 am »
+1

So, we're back.  I liked the premiere.  I'll talk about some of the things in the episode here without spoiler tags.

I realize that (according to rumors), most of Season 5 has been leaked online.  I think we should not talk about anything from those leaked episodes here until they premiere through the regular schedule.  I don't intend to watch them ahead of time.

My only concern with the episode:

Mance dying really seemed like Mance dying.  Is it still possible to pull the switch?  I had thought in the books that Rattleshirt was somehow tricked... and they had gagged him or not let him speak or something?  Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.  Did it go down just like this?

Sansa looks like she's taking a different arc, and I think that is good.  Robyn being out of the picture can only improve things, I think, as he's really annoying to deal with.  I'm interested to see what Sansa and Littlefinger will do.

I guess Tywin's death (and Jaime's involvement) is serving as the wedge between Jaime and Cersei instead of Lancel, and Osmund Kettleback, and Moonboy for all I know.  Though, I'm sure some of that will end up coming out, maybe by Lancel himself confessing to Jaime. 

I'm looking forward to everything to do with Dorne. 

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2015, 10:13:15 am »

OT: Direct Golf's Irons Throne

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2015, 10:39:13 am »

I guess there's no real reason to fear getting the end of the book series spoiled at this point, because the series seems to be telling a completely different story now

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2015, 10:39:45 am »

Mance dying really seemed like Mance dying.  Is it still possible to pull the switch?  I had thought in the books that Rattleshirt was somehow tricked... and they had gagged him or not let him speak or something?  Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.  Did it go down just like this?

I think it really was Mance, and I'm fine with that change. I really didn't like the glamour in the books and I trust the show to make the plotline it's used in work without it.

Also, the first four episodes leaked, and I'm a terrible person and watched them all at a friend's place last night. Just so you're aware what's out there.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:52 am »

I guess there's no real reason to fear getting the end of the book series spoiled at this point, because the series seems to be telling a completely different story now

No, this is exactly what we thought would happen is happening - characters will take different paths to (mostly) the same destinations.

I will not be surprised at all to read in Book 6 events happening in Season 5 that we all thought were show changes.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2015, 10:42:59 am »

I think it really was Mance, and I'm fine with that change. I really didn't like the glamour in the books and I trust the show to make the plotline it's used in work without it.

Also, the first four episodes leaked, and I'm a terrible person and watched them all at a friend's place last night. Just so you're aware what's out there.

Eh, if it is, I'm disappointed a bit.. I really liked Mance and  want his character to stick around.  Plus, the stuff at Winterfell~

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:13 am »

No, this is exactly what we thought would happen is happening - characters will take different paths to (mostly) the same destinations.
That's trivially true since most characters will likely end up dead^^

It's the way that really matters though.

Does anyone remember how the show explained Viserys&Dany escaping and being found by Varys?

Not sure wether I'll watch the leaks or go one episode at a time. I kinda want to know what happens, but there'd be such a long wait afterwards.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2015, 10:59:09 am »

Does anyone remember how the show explained Viserys&Dany escaping and being found by Varys?

It's possible I might say something from a future episode here, so I'm putting it in spoilers, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I think it's implied they were found by Illyrio, similar/same as the books.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2015, 11:04:14 am »

But the show said that Varys and Illyrio only met after Robert started messing up ruling his kingdom, and only then started their plan to restore Targaryen power. Why does Illyrio even want that? He leaves on a different continent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2015, 11:12:34 am »

I'm sure they're not done revealing the motivations of those characters (same as the books).

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:21 am »

I actually seem to be misremebering this, somehow I thought Varys was more involved in Dany's early life in the books.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2015, 02:17:55 pm »

I'm looking forward to everything to do with Dorne.

AKA Sevilla.

Yes this is my sole contribution to the thread. But to be fair I was surprised when I first read about people whose first reaction to Dorne was "This is Wales".
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:05 pm »

Dorne? Isn't that the unhealthy looking birthmark on Loras?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »

Dorne is the large kingdom to the south.  It's hot there, and the natives are dark skinned and have features similar to Spaniards.   The ruling family is the Martells; Oberyn (the dude that got squished) is the brother of the King of Dorne (who we will meet soon).  This is where Myrcella was sent by Tyrion.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2015, 03:00:13 pm »

Dorne is the large kingdom to the south.  It's hot there, and the natives are dark skinned and have features similar to Spaniards.   The ruling family is the Martells; Oberyn (the dude that got squished) is the brother of the King of Dorne (who we will meet soon).  This is where Myrcella was sent by Tyrion.

hey, spoilers

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2015, 03:01:23 pm »
+2

We've already been told all about Dorne, and, uh, thread title.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:42 pm »

But (unless you watched the leaks) you can't be sure Doran wasn't cut from the show. Also, he isn't a king in the book.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »

But (unless you watched the leaks) you can't be sure Doran wasn't cut from the show. Also, he isn't a king in the book.

He's in the previews!  And casting lists, etc. 

I didn't remember what their people were called.  Prince?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30  All

Page created in 2.355 seconds with 20 queries.