Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Embargoing something, then immediately purchasing it  (Read 3899 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Embargoing something, then immediately purchasing it
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:40:45 pm »

I did that for the first time today.  I opened Wharf Embargo, my opponent had 3/4.  I had 5$ to spend after playing an Embargo, so I embargoed the Wharves and bought a Wharf with a curse.  Wharf is just that powerful, and I was ahead on Wharves, so it seems like the best move.

Anyone else done this?  What power card was it?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Embargoing something, then immediately purchasing it
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:41:28 pm »
+2

Estates, then I bought 8 of them to three pile.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:50:29 pm »

My most common is curses to pile out the curses with spare buys for a 3 pile win. Works best with +buy and Watchtower. Any other 2 coin card, like estates or embargoes, can be used to pound out 2 piles quick.

Trader has seen me embargo a lot of random 5 coin cards (I only want one or two of them and the silver is better early), foedum has likewise resulted in trader shenanigans.

Ambassador has once or twice resulted in me embargoing something random (embargo bought on an odd 2 coin hand) to get the curses flowing to the other guy.

Fairgrounds has also had it happen a few times where I don't have a spare +buy, but need the curse to reach a breakpoint.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »

Fairgrounds has also had it happen a few times where I don't have a spare +buy, but need the curse to reach a breakpoint.

But don't you want to keep that Embargo for your Fairgrounds?  Or if you don't mind using it up, you could have just bought a Curse instead of that Embargo to start with.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:10:51 pm »

But don't you want to keep that Embargo for your Fairgrounds?  Or if you don't mind using it up, you could have just bought a Curse instead of that Embargo to start with.

If that embargo was a curse, maybe he couldnt afford the Fairgrounds in the first place.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:20:16 pm »

If that embargo was a curse, maybe he couldnt afford the Fairgrounds in the first place.

Hmm.  OK.  But I suppose that trick would make more sense on something other than Fairgrounds, since you would want to get more of them, right? :)

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »
+5

Hmm.  OK.  But I suppose that trick would make more sense on something other than Fairgrounds, since you would want to get more of them, right? :)

Oh, sorry. I was playing the f.ds game where you say something that would make sense most of the time but I find an edge case to contradict you.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »

One time my hand was copper/gold/embargo/green. I could either play the embargo & buy a fairgrounds or keep it and buy an estate. The swing there was 4 points directly and likely more like 6 as my opponent would have snagged a fairgrounds lead without me taking it.

Another time I was behind and was doing a Lib/Cellar/Fairgrounds run, playing the Embargo first gave me good enough odds of hitting a double fairgrounds turn (2 buys) that I think it was my best chance to win (maybe something around 1/5). I settled for Duchy/Fairgrounds and lost.

Yeah, you can always buy the curse instead of the embargo, but embargo is normally better if you can swing it. It is 1 VP more and very few decks work better with curses than actions (vagrant being the easiest counterexample). None of the examples of using the embargo to gain something and a free curse are where you exactly plan to use the embargo to gain a curse - it just is a tactical decision that has cropped up a few times. As far as I can recall, this has always happened on the penultimate or final shuffle.

This is strictly not the typical use of embargo here, normally I just buy embargo because it is cheap and it pads out fairgrounds when I hit 8 coin with 2 buys after I have a province or 4 coin with 2 buys if there is another 2 coin kingdom card.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:07:40 am »

Oh, sorry. I was playing the f.ds game where you say something that would make sense most of the time but I find an edge case to contradict you.

Game? I thought that's just how things worked here.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:07:11 am »

I think I've done this in order to pick up a Curse for Ambassadoring purposes when I didn't have a +Buy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:26:07 am »

Watchtower and Trader have to be mentioned at least once.
So there.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24:36 am »

I think I've done this in order to pick up a Curse for Ambassadoring purposes when I didn't have a +Buy.
That's odd. Rather than buy an embargo, wait for it to come round, use an action embargoing the thing you need, then hope you have enough money for it, what  made you decide you couldn't just buy a curse straight off instead of the embargo? Did you already have embargoes kicking around for other reasons and just decided to use one like this out of necessity? Or were you combing the effect of the embargo, embargoing a card that you'd both want while gaining a useful curse?

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 08:13:13 am »

It would have been a back-up plan. Or at least, I had to thin my deck a certain amount before picking up the Curse became worthwhile, and maybe there wasn't any +Buy at all.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:28 am »

I'm pretty sure that I've embargoed provinces and then immediately bought one. I may have done the same for duchies too. Provinces are the ultimate power card of course.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 08:46:44 am »
+1

i think embargo/trader is actually somewhat of a combo. "somewhat" because most trader games are too fast for it to be worth pulling this off. especially powerful with embargoed duchies.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »

Here's an example game from just now where I do what I was talking about earlier:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/13/game-20121113-130635-9185cb0f.html

The Embargo buy allows me to pick up the Curse later when my Ambassador engine is better prepared for it, and also to effectively defer those 2 coins to a later turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.