Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What would you like to see in Dominion?  (Read 24831 times)

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
Re: What would you like to see in Dominion?
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 03:52:40 pm »

No, those force the reveal if you don't have the relevant card, so they're fine. Throne Room and Explorer could just as well say '..or reveal a hand with no [Actions/Provinces]'.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »

the auto on iso to match me with players who can play fast for multi player games  ;D

Same for me, i wish it could have player's speed preferences

Lenoxus

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 10:36:11 pm »

No, those force the reveal if you don't have the relevant card, so they're fine. Throne Room and Explorer could just as well say '..or reveal a hand with no [Actions/Provinces]'.

As it happens, Donald X has said that Throne Room's lack of "You may", in contrast to King's Court, was an error, but that (unsurprisingly) the official rules still require following the card's exact instructions.

In general, it makes sense for cards like these to have the card choosing/revealing be optional, but effects that would hurt you to not be.

KMueller

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 06:49:58 am »

Is that data kept somewhere?

KMueller

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 06:51:10 am »

As it happens, Donald X has said that Throne Room's lack of "You may", in contrast to King's Court, was an error, but that (unsurprisingly) the official rules still require following the card's exact instructions.

In general, it makes sense for cards like these to have the card choosing/revealing be optional, but effects that would hurt you to not be.

It would be interesting for isotropic to try the Throne Room version as it should be. Just temporarily, or based on a player choice. Just so people could try and see how it works.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:29 am »

Is that data kept somewhere?
Highly unlikely.  The only conceivable way I could see it happening was if Isotropic kept records of when games started and ended, and then you can work out "average game time" normalized to # players in the game.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:56 am »

I think I could reasonably model player speed just from the existing game logs if I was so inclined.

First realize that many players play sequentially.  A sample of 10 games with start and ends is probably not as good as a sample of 100 games with only ends.  There are >1 million iso games.
Sequential plays tend to end say, in less than an 30 minutes after the last one.
Games between players will tend to take an average length of the sum of slowness of the participating players.

With a bit of hacking, I am pretty sure an expectation maximization type algorithm could reasonably rank players by speed.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2011, 11:01:31 am »

I'd like to see more cards that involve choices and more dual-type cards, a la Intrigue. Perhaps a card which is a Curse and something else?

I know it probably won't happen, but a couple more Durations and VP-chip-givers would be nice.  (I suspect more VP chips are more likely.)

I'd like to see some trashers and curse-givers which are actually kind of mediocre and only make sense as situational buys.

I'd like to see an attack which lets you look at other players' hands and discard a card from it.  With restrictions, of course (at a minimum it should only hit people with more than four cards in hand), and it'd have to be really expensive.

I'd like to see a card that makes buying Bureaucrat worth it.

I think that mostly covers it.
I had an idea like that a while ago, posted it on BGG.

Combining Curses with Actions and Treasures seemed like fun to me, but we have to be careful with the Curse dealers to not make them too powerful.

I will give some examples:

Cursed Loot
Treasure - Curse
Cost: 0

+ $2
-2 VP

This gives players a hard choice in the beginning when someone plays an early Witch. They may take it instead of a normal curse. I feel the - VP needs to be between 2 and 3, because with -2 it will almost always be chosen over a Curse and with -3 it might never be chosen. Haven't playtested any of the cards I propose.

Haunted Mansion
Action - Curse
Cost: 3

+ 3 Actions
- 2 VP

Could be a very fine chaining card

Black Magician
Attack - Curse
Cost: 4

+ $2
- 2 VP
Every other player gains a Curse other than Black Magician.

Actually it is an Action - Attack - Curse, so maybe this one doesn't fly and we can't have Attack - Curse cards since every Attack is an Action.

Blood Contract
Victory - Curse
Cost: 6

+ 5 VP
At the end of the game: -1 VP for every 10 Victory cards in your deck, rounded down.

Promotes keeping your deck clean with mostly Provinces / Colonies, counteracts Garden rushing, not really satisfied with this one, but it's hard to find a decent Victory - Curse combo.

I just made all of these up without much thought, they obv need a lot of tweaking, I only posted them to demonstrate the uses of some X - Curse cards.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:04:22 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 12:06:18 pm »

Putting negative VPs on a very-good-and-otherwise-undercosted card doesn't balance it. It will simply be overwhelmingly strong on any and all boards where it's possible to trash it in the mid- to late-game.

Perhaps there's room for such cards, but they need to involve a permanent loss of VPs. Like negative VP chips when you play or buy the card.

nemryn

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 12:11:01 pm »

It would be interesting for isotropic to try the Throne Room version as it should be. Just temporarily, or based on a player choice. Just so people could try and see how it works.
It wouldn't really make much difference, imo. Isotropic handles the 'making sure you're not cheating' aspect, and the scenario where you're forced to play a card you don't want to doesn't happen that often. It wouldn't really be a noticeable difference.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 12:19:42 pm »

I had an idea like that a while ago, posted it on BGG.

Combining Curses with Actions and Treasures seemed like fun to me, but we have to be careful with the Curse dealers to not make them too powerful.

This might work better in a spin-off than an expansion. 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »

Let me tell you, the "must" as opposed to "may" aspect of Throne Room definitely matters for TR/Wharf engines that mix in other action cards ;)

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2011, 06:08:02 am »

the auto on iso to match me with players who can play fast for multi player games  ;D

A much easier system to implement would be an optional timer clock per action. I would add in a few "lives" to exceed the timer but it would surely be less coding than a system to track and compare playing speeds?

minced

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »

I'd like to see more cards that involve choices and more dual-type cards, a la Intrigue. Perhaps a card which is a Curse and something else?

I worry that players would be too scared of buying such a card to experiment with using it. One of the nicest things about Dominion for beginners is how easy it is to ascertain your position: if your opponent has bought two more provinces than you did, you're going to lose. Buying curse cards is really counter-intuitive for a newbie.

I can, however, see the card gaining use if it's *supposed* to be trashed before or at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:07:36 pm by minced »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.