Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Piledriving Estates  (Read 9217 times)

Jiriki

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Piledriving Estates
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 01:19:44 pm »

Pulled this off on a board list night with KC, Warf (out), FV (out), Salvager, and Smugglers on a single turn. KC-Smuggled the last 2 Wharves, managed to draw everything with  KC-Warf +other wharves  and used a salvaged a gold for the 8th buy and the 2 more coins I needed.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 04:06:20 am »

Here's a game I just played, where I decided to piledrive estates as the second pile, after having some... odd shuffles early and losing the City split 7-3, but having picked up KCs and Herbalists.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/28/game-20121228-005417-8b29df2f.html

I do it because

* If I run out any other second pile, I fear him piledriving Estates on me with the +Buy he'd suddenly get from the Cities.
* In spite of losing the City split, and him picking up a matching three KCs eventually, my economy is about as good or better than his.
* There's no cost reduction so it will take a while for either of us to drain Provinces even with fully powered Cities, which gives us some room for tactical maneuvering; and I vaguely suspect my tactics are better than his.
* With decent shuffle luck, I should be able to draw deck anyway, and then the Estates are KC-Bishop fodder; in the worst case, I stall a turn and then I know I'm fine anyway. Him piling Estates in 1 turn is a bigger risk than him grabbing a couple Provinces and then piling Herbalists on consecutive turns. (I didn't think *this* deeply during the game.)

I'm not saying it's the best strategy here, but I felt like a lot could go wrong if I tried to grab Provinces and treasure at this point, or if I made it into a KC race for the second pile.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 04:59:36 pm »

Here is one where I overcome some terrible luck with Baron early to eventually do this. Of course it helped that Tactically he was building up for a Market/Highway/Pawn based megaturn allowing me to ignore Duke. I recognized that his buildup would likely be slow, especially with Margrave in play and planned ahead. One turn after he emptied the Highway pile I struck with exactly 8 buys to finish it off.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/05/game-20130105-134822-da2474e9.html
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.359 seconds with 20 queries.