Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: gaining  (Read 2608 times)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
gaining
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:50 am »

I briefly checked whether there is a question like this but didn't find anything. If someone knows there is something similar, feel free to point this thread out to me and I'll happily look at that existing one.

Anyway, so there is this question about gaining (it is an even bigger problem in German since translators didn't pay enough attention to the difference between gain and other words for getting a card). Up to now I understood that 'gain' always refers to taking a card from the supply and putting it (somewhere) in my deck (most often: discard pile). Some cards trigger when I 'gain' another card, i.e. I can reveal a trader when I'm gaining a curse because my opponent played a witch or because I bought one. Or I can reveal watchtower to trash the 'gained' card or put it on my drawing pile.
Now what about graverobber? It says I may 'gain' a card from the trash. Let's say I chose a death cart from the trash. Is it 'gaining' so that I can reveal a watchtower to put death cart on my drawing pile and immediately trash the 2 ruins that I would gain upon gaining a death cart? Or haven't I gained the 2 ruins at all because I didn't 'gain' death cart but took it from the trash? DXV uses 'get' in his secret history to describe what graverobber does.

So, in other words: is 'gain from the trash' a kind of 'gain' such that on-gain effects are triggered or is it an improper word since one might mix it up with gaining and gaining can never be from the trash as it is always from the supply?

(for completeness: in German, 'gain' = 'nehmen' but they also wrote 'auf die Hand nehmen' for 'put into your hand' as it is said for adventurer ('auf die Hand' = 'into your hand'), leading to a situation that I might look trough my drawing pile until I find 2 treasures (e.g. IGG), 'gain' them (i.e. from the supply, i.e. opponent gains 2 curses), discard everything but the treasure cards and put the 2 treasures that I found in my drawing pile back since there is nothing specified on those cards.)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: gaining
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:43:41 am »
+2

So, in other words: is 'gain from the trash' a kind of 'gain' such that on-gain effects are triggered

Yes.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:53:11 am »

The same applies to tournament, btw

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:48 am »
+1

When a card says to Gain something, you always gain from the supply, unless some card is specifically telling you otherwise.

The exceptions are, I believe:
Black Market (gain from BM deck)
Graverobber, Rogue (gain from Trash)
Thief, Noble Brigand (gain from Trash, from the limited set of cards that were just trashed)
Bandit Camp, Marauder, Pillage (gain from the Spoils pile)
Hermit, Urchin (gain from Madman and Mercenary piles, respectively.)

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:39:21 am »
+1

Goko, BTW, still misuses the word "gain" in game text when they should use "draw".

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:08:20 am »
+2

When a card says to Gain something, you always gain from the supply, unless some card is specifically telling you otherwise.

Thief, Noble Brigand (gain from Trash, from the limited set of cards that were just trashed)

Tournament (gain from the Prize pile)

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »

Yep, missed that one. Thanks.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:55 am »

Gaining has a default origin of the supply, and a default destination of your discard pile. Both of these are just defaults. They can be overriden with no effect on the rules.

As far as I can recall, any time that a publicly-visible card enters your ownership, that is always Gaining. The caveat about public visibility is equivalent to "except Masquerade."

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:57 am »

As far as I can recall, any time that a publicly-visible card enters your ownership, that is always Gaining. The caveat about public visibility is equivalent to "except Masquerade."

Masquerade cards are passed face-down, so the fact of receiving the card is publicly visible, but the identity of the card is not.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 07:12:40 am »

Tournament (gain from the Prize pile)
Ambassador makes you gain from the supply, but in real life play whenever a card is returned (and no possible Reactions are out) we just pass the card directly to our neighbour(s).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.