Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I Buy a Vineyard Every Turn, Turns 7-13... With Only 1 Potion in My Deck  (Read 2420 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
+3

Well, this one was nothing short of incredible. I'm still shocked at how fast it came together: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/31/game-20121031-220306-97f81d8a.html

I can put my Potion back after every turn with Herbalist. I can put my Herbalist back after every turn with Scheme. With enough Schemes and Herbalists--which I was picking up alongside Vineyards, thanks to Herbalist's +buy and $1--this literally was never going to end.

This was one of those 3 person games where player 1 resigns on his first turn for some reason, meaning there were 12 Vineyards in the supply. And I could have had each and every last one, one after the another, for 12 turns straight (I showed no signs of stalling at 7!), but my opponent did grab a few himself. Still, I don't think I've ever bought 7 Vineyards in a row with only 1 Potion and no draw-whole-deck engine to speak of. Cool stuff, huh?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: I Buy a Vineyard Every Turn, Turns 7-13... With Only 1 Potion in My Deck
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:33:04 pm »

Looks like he resigned because he opened 5/2 with no 5s (although a couple of 2s). Anyway that's really cool... is it worth writing an article on?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »
+1

Yeah that is awesome. One each of Potion, Herbalist, and Scheme lasts you three turns. Meanwhile, I wonder how FG/Remake would have done. Definitely worse because of a) the presence of Vineyards and b) the 12, not 8, Provinces. Still, throw in an Herbalist with FG and it is pretty sweet.

[Insert obligatory joke about Robz winning because he was the only one who bought Scout.]

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »

Yeah that is awesome. One each of Potion, Herbalist, and Scheme lasts you three turns. Meanwhile, I wonder how FG/Remake would have done. Definitely worse because of a) the presence of Vineyards and b) the 12, not 8, Provinces. Still, throw in an Herbalist with FG and it is pretty sweet.

[Insert obligatory joke about Robz winning because he was the only one who bought Scout.]

+1 for doing it the right way... adding a useful, pertinent comment to the thread (or a meme if in the meme thread) and then throwing in a Scout joke at the end if the opportunity arises. :)
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:38 pm »

I definitely would have considered the Fool's Gold route, but as you pointed out, 12 Provinces is a much more daunting task for FG than 8 is.

By the way, looking back over the game, the Remake was fairly key to turning my Estates into Schemes.

In news completely unrelated to my f.ds meta for Scout-stuff, I actually have found myself picking up Scout more often lately. The planets just keep aligning in a certain way where I need to get something for $4 or less, and perhaps Silver is Embargoed or something, or I have an Ironworks and I don't want any more of thing that I bought Ironworks to gain, and I get Scout.

So Adventurer is the new Scout, for me.

jupiter

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:22:01 pm »

I tried this on Androidminion, and after I returned an Herbalist to my deck, its effect wouldn't trigger because I didn't discard it from play. But Scheme says "if you discard it from play" Which is right?

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »

Either way, you should get the option of putting the potion back first from the Herbalist if you want, right?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 06:37:54 pm »

When multiple things happen during clean-up, you get to resolve them in whatever order you like. So you can tell Herbalist to put Potion back. Then you can tell Scheme to put Herbalist back.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 06:52:41 pm »

I definitely would have considered the Fool's Gold route, but as you pointed out, 12 Provinces is a much more daunting task for FG than 8 is.

By the way, looking back over the game, the Remake was fairly key to turning my Estates into Schemes.

In news completely unrelated to my f.ds meta for Scout-stuff, I actually have found myself picking up Scout more often lately. The planets just keep aligning in a certain way where I need to get something for $4 or less, and perhaps Silver is Embargoed or something, or I have an Ironworks and I don't want any more of thing that I bought Ironworks to gain, and I get Scout.

So Adventurer is the new Scout, for me.

I actually find Adventurer useful on some boards.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:17 pm »

When multiple things happen during clean-up, you get to resolve them in whatever order you like. So you can tell Herbalist to put Potion back. Then you can tell Scheme to put Herbalist back.

It's just that Androminion doesn't allow you to choose the clean-up order, IIRC.  They probably won't fix this.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.564 seconds with 21 queries.