Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 22097 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
STAR WARS
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:32:26 am »
+1

Has been bought by Disney.  And will be making Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.  Thoughts?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:04 am »
+1

Sounds terrible?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:49:42 am »
+4

Princess Leia is now a Disney Princess.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:54 am »

I'm actually OK with this.

1) Our last star wars movies wont be the prequel trilogy. It's hard to tarnish the legacy at this point.
2) Lucas won't have full control over the projects. He'll still offer creative input, which is great. He did make an awesome universe. Once he got full control, no one had the balls to tell him how bad his screenwriting and directing were.
3) Admiral Thrawn on screen? Cross fingers.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:59:00 am »
+2

I have a controversial opinion about Star Wars. The new movies were just* as good as the old ones...

...because the old ones weren't very good, either.**

*Well Episode I is total garbage, and the acting in Episode II is laughable, but the prequels at least have a sophisticated, half-way intriguing plot, buoyed by awesome battles and effects. The originals are as generic as "rebels vs. overlord" stories go. That stupid pinball blast destroying the Death Star--twice! twice!--is ridiculous enough to sink them all, even before Lucas's much-maligned tinkering.

**I mean, they're all fine (except Episode I). If they're on, I'll watch them. But definitely less interesting than their reputation would suggest.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:28:32 am »
+2

Well then. You are wrong. Now let me tell you why you are wrong.

I'll start with where I agree. The original trilogy had a very formulaic plot at the high level. Good vs. evil, rebels vs. establishment. But well, pretty much every movie is formulaic if kept at that level. But yeah, the overarching plot is nothing special. And some of the character motives are vague and uninteresting unless you read the backstory, but that shouldnt count. But the character work is fantastic. They're relatable and emotionally deep. The scene with luke and vader at the end of jedi is just filled with emotional payoff that has been building for 3 movies. Even the lighsaber scene in a new hope with obi wan and vader which all the youngins pan as 'boring' is filled with more emotional significance than anything in the prequels. OK, also the ewoks are stupid.

And now that I brought up the prequels, they aren't even decent movies. The character motivations are confusing and vague. Like all of them. The emotions are forced. Did anyone enjoy the chemistry between anakin and padme? And you say the plot is interesting? Its convoluted and filled with so many plot holes I wouldnt know where to begin.

I will agree that the movies get an inflated reputation. A lot of that has to do with the original reception where the special effects were unlike anything ever seen before. Obviously that hurts the movies overall when compared to modern offerings, but it should count for something. It's rather similar to the matrix there.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:30 am »

Well, The Matrix is a whole other can of worms with me, as I really like them, all three (well the third one is flawed, but the second is a LOT better than how it's treated). But let's not talk about that.

As for Star Wars, it sounds like we don't disagree so, so much. Plot holes were a consistent problem, originals, prequels, and gap between prequels (man did Obi Wan age!). I guess I was vaguely more interested in the intrigue of the prequels--Anakin's slow turn to the dark side, Palpatine's nefarious take over, there's some mystery in II--than running around shooting guns at comically inept guards on the Death Star, or Ewok Forest.

I will grant you that characterization and acting is much better in the originals. Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman give the flattest performances of their lives in the prequels, matched only by the shoddiness of the writing.

But the effects of the prequels blow the originals out of the water. So it just ends up being a bit of a mixed bag for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of great moments in the originals. I agree with you there. I could watch Luke, Vader, and Palpatine all day. But then there are teddy bears knocking down giant armored robot tanks with bamboo spears. Mixed bag, like I said.

--

But compare to Lord of The Rings. Now that's a perfect movie trilogy.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:49:24 am »

But compare to Lord of The Rings. Now that's a perfect movie trilogy.
Agreed!

.. Time to go to sleeps though, Robz!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:16:23 am »

For me it's: Empire > Sith > New Hope > Phantom > Clones > Return > Disney Crap

Best part of the entire series is when the stormtrooper hits the door with his head and the "cloonk" sound they added later.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:15 am »

I'm in the "excited" camp.

I would say that more is strictly better than none, but I get angry watching he originals now because of how stupid the prequels were

Why doesn't kenobi recognize c3po in a new hope?

However, I am still optimistic.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:26 am »
+1

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:14 am »

Let's face it, they can't get any worse, and hopefully they will keep Lucas away from them now

Getting taken over by Disney didn't do Marvel any harm...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:58:30 am »

Wait, have they bought star wars or Lucas arts?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:00:42 am »

Wait, have they bought star wars or Lucas arts?
They bought LucasFilms, which owns (among others) Star Wars and LucasArts.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:04:12 am »

Uh-oh, that means more Indiana Jones as well....

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 05:08:26 am »

But the last one was such a a success too?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 05:09:18 am »

But the last one was such a a success too?

*pukes over his keyboard*

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 08:36:06 am »
+2

Ok, I grew up on Star Wars, having been raised by nerds, so I have quite a fond attachment to these movies.  Anyone who dislikes Ewoks can answer to my FIST.  At least Ewoks don't say "dellow felegates" when giving a speech in the Senate.  (Why is your acting so bad, Attack of the Clones?)  Ewoks are fuzzy and cute and awesome!

For me, there's nothing wrong with formula.  What matters is whether or not you can take that formula and do cool things with it. 

Also, if we're going by effects, Robz - Attack of the Clones's effects were as bad as its acting - at least, when compared to the other two prequels.  It just looked so fake.

I think what irked me about the prequels most (surprisingly, I don't hate Jar Jar, and my sister actually loved his character as a kid) was the fact that Lucas kept ret-conning everything.  There was a backstory for the time period these movies took place in, and while I realize that it was just "expanded universe" and technically not his "vision," it was still kind of odd that he just ignored all of it.  Death Star researched in the middle of a field of black holes (which would have been AWESOME to see)?  NOPE GONNA MAKE IT BUG PEOPLE ON A MARS ANALOGUE.

Anyway.  We'll still watch those silly prequels for the lightsaber battles.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:48:58 am »

The prequels had great potential. Like Robz, I was very much interested in the politics and intrigue that birthed a totalitarian empire. I could even enjoy watching Jar Jar be manipulated into granting control to the chancellor (who promptly put the senate in the discard pile). Granted, the folly of Jar Jar doesn't make up for all the crap we had to endure in Episode I, but the story of the chancellor manipulating events so that the people willingly give over control is pretty good.

I'm starting to lean toward the camp that Return of the Jedi is a bad movie. Yeah, my 11-year-old self still loves it. The Jabba scene is pretty damned cool and makes for a pretty good mini-movie, but it feels out of place in the trilogy. The second half of the movie is mostly garbage, with the exception of the space battle (but who knew that star destroyers had such a weakness? Were they designed by the same guy who built the first Death Star?). Like the prequels, Return had such promise, but it got swallowed up by marketing ploys and awkward writing. To paraphrase a Facebook photo that's been floating around, Darth Vader could detect Obi-Wan and Luke from miles away but couldn't recognize Leia when she's 2 feet from him? Talk about pulling stories out of your ass.

I'm cautiously optimistic about new Star Wars movies. I haven't watched the Clone Wars series, but I hear it's doing very well. Not so much on the Clone Wars movie. It's actually a pretty rich universe. I kind of hope they revisit some of the earlier materials. I mean, making up new planets and races is fun and all, but sometimes it feels like there's only one of each race. We've seen an additional Rodian in the movies, but their representative got embroiled in a whole "Han shot first" debate. It's cool to see a twi'lek be something other than a sex slave (maybe just dancer, but my imagination regarding the underworld is pretty seedy).

Star Wars is something that is now beyond Lucas's imagination. As long as Disney can maintain consistency within the Star Wars universe, it's possible to have some great movies. Of course, consistency is already lost in the Star Wars movies, so would we even notice?
A man has no signature

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 08:52:35 am »

At least the computer games are good; I mean, KOTOR and KOTOR II were very enjoyable for me.

And I loved trailblazing through Jedi Knight in God Mode to just slash everything with the saber.  ;D

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 09:02:59 am »
+1

I hope that Disney floods us with star wars movies

I don't even care about a new trilogy.  I'd be perfectly happy to pay money to watch a standalone movie about rebel sympathizes fleeing imperial oppression, or a standalone bounty hunter mission, or a star base frantically trying to ready itself against an incomin assault. A young person learning to control the force without guidance on a remote planet fleeing from the emperor's scouts?

A movie with Mara jade as protagonist? 

Of course, id love the thrawn trilogy as well, but I'd pay
I see just about anything - even if I bitch about it on the Internet later.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:05 am »

To paraphrase a Facebook photo that's been floating around, Darth Vader could detect Obi-Wan and Luke from miles away but couldn't recognize Leia when she's 2 feet from him? Talk about pulling stories out of your ass.

or perhaps he totally did detect her, but seeing his daughter (perhaps a spitting image of his former love) was enough for him to have some degree of mercy on her. maybe seeing his daughter was a key plot element in facilitating his movement away from the dark side.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 09:05:50 am »
+1

To paraphrase a Facebook photo that's been floating around, Darth Vader could detect Obi-Wan and Luke from miles away but couldn't recognize Leia when she's 2 feet from him? Talk about pulling stories out of your ass.

or perhaps he totally did detect her, but seeing his daughter (perhaps a spitting image of his former love) was enough for him to have some degree of mercy on her. maybe seeing his daughter was a key plot element in facilitating his movement away from the dark side.

Carrie fisher was on wait wait don't tell me a while ago, and she said that Lucas had not told hen that she and Luke were siblings

My guess?  He made it up later an didn't think about it.

She also said that the metal bikini didn't fit to her skin (being metal and all) and that boba fett could see all they way down to Florida when he was standing behind her

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 09:08:08 am »

I dont think anybody knew they were siblings until the final film, just something Lucas decided to throw in.

And I always assumed that Vader could sense Luke from so far away because the force was so strong in him.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 09:18:36 am »

Put me in the excited camp. A lot of the mythology is cool, and wouldn't it just be even cooler if we handed to someone other than George Lucas? I don't think the property is so important as the director; I couldn't have given two .... about the Avengers until Joss Whedon took them up.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:06 am »

Carrie fisher was on wait wait don't tell me a while ago, and she said that Lucas had not told hen that she and Luke were siblings

My guess?  He made it up later an didn't think about it.

She also said that the metal bikini didn't fit to her skin (being metal and all) and that boba fett could see all they way down to Florida when he was standing behind her

oh i totally don't doubt that lucas just made things up as he went along. i just enjoy trying to spin things in an absurd way to try to make them work. especially when it involves painting the bad guy in a better light.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:28 am »

Argh, if Wheldon is involved then all of a sudden I will lose any interest.
Thats not the direction I want it to go in!!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:20 am »
+3

I too am an uwe boll fan.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 09:32:35 am »

Hahaha, I thought he had quit these days?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

Cautiously optimistic.  On one hand, Lucas has driven the series in to the ground and Disney probably can't do any worse.  On the other hand, Jar Jar fits the Disney canon like a glove.

Also:
Now a Shia LaBeouf Indiana Jones reboot is practically guaranteed.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 10:17:13 am »

It again might be heresy, but the theme should probably be pitched now for a slightly younger audience with less politics and more fantasy. Adult audiences have long since lost the novelty of a fantasy escapade set in futuristic spaceships and Star Wars doesn't work as thought provoking sci-fi.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:30 am »
+1

star wars episode VII - game of thrawns

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:43 am »

Highly unlikely considering the comments he made last time...thank goodness

They should just do it like Bond and have a new actor when needed.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 11:11:11 am »

Highly unlikely considering the comments he made last time...thank goodness

They should just do it like Bond and have a new actor when needed.
Or make one about Henry Jones: Sean Connery.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 11:25:10 am »
+1

See, I want Andrew Stanton to direct these.  I actually very much enjoyed John Carter, and I'd love to see what that man would do with Star Wars.

sandstorm

• Baron
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 08:39:26 pm »
+2

If you aren't offended by some pretty dark humour and have 70 to 90 minutes to spare then the Mr. Plinkett Star Wars Prequel reviews on www.redlettermedia.com are well made and entertaining

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 11:18:23 pm »
+1

If you aren't offended by some pretty dark humour and have 70 to 90 minutes to spare then the Mr. Plinkett Star Wars Prequel reviews on www.redlettermedia.com are well made and entertaining

I would think everyone has watched 'em by now, but I second that.  RLM have to be the best video criticism producers on the internet.  Their review of Jack and Jill was the coolest deconstruction I've seen of a bad movie since... well, the Star Wars reviews.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 11:23:19 pm »
+1

So we have to ask ourselves - will Disney make a Curse of the Black Pearl?  Or will they make a Country Bears?

sandstorm

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 01:04:52 am »

I would think everyone has watched 'em by now, but I second that.  RLM have to be the best video criticism producers on the internet.  Their review of Jack and Jill was the coolest deconstruction I've seen of a bad movie since... well, the Star Wars reviews.

The funny thing is, despite how much they tore into Jack and Jill, in their latest episode of 'Half in the Bag' they called it a masterpiece compared to Paranormal Activity 4

sandstorm

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:41 am »
+1

So we have to ask ourselves - will Disney make a Curse of the Black Pearl?  Or will they make a Country Bears?

I am quite optimistic that Disney will treat the Star Wars franchise well.  Disney is a business and if their employees do not produce quality work they will face consequences.  When George Lucas made the prequels he had no one to be accountable to, except himself.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »
+1

star wars episode VII - game of thrawns

Episode VIII - Kashyyyk of Kings.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »
+1

I will say this for the prequels:  they got better as they went along.  Episode III was mostly kinda decent, actually.  II would have been passable without the romantic subplot, which was handled about as poorly as possible.  Episode I... the less said the better.

I assume at least some of you have seen the proposals to view Star Wars in machete order?  I think there's a lot of sense to it.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »

I assume at least some of you have seen the proposals to view Star Wars in machete order?  I think there's a lot of sense to it.

Yeah, some friends and I are thinking of trying that out. The suggestion has been made to drop Episode I altogether. Personally, I think Darth Maul almost makes the whole thing worth it.

Edit: Right, okay, that's exactly what Machete order is. Carry on.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:41:19 pm by Jimmmmm »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 08:38:42 am »
+1

Yeah, some friends and I are thinking of trying that out. The suggestion has been made to drop Episode I altogether. Personally, I think Darth Maul almost makes the whole thing worth it.

I thought that Darth Maul was terrible. Not the way he fought or how the actor played him. He was used poorly in the story.

He drew more excitement in the trailers than he did in the movie, which might have been his role all along. In the movie, he's this mysterious figure. Who is he? How did he become a Sith? What does he do when he's not Palpatine's errand boy? These pressing questions—and many more—will not be answered in this movie. Up yours, viewer.

The most personality we see from him is when he's pacing like a cat during the force field sequence. The pacing was great, but that was it. Then there's more fighting. He does something stupid. He gets killed.

Just like the rest of Phantom Menace, Darth Maul had potential that was pissed away. 
A man has no signature

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:10 am »

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:13 am »

I've been planning a star wars viewing party and I am totally doing machete order now. That is brilliant.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 11:42:36 am »

I read the Machete Order. The way he explains it makes a lot of sense. As he admitted, it's not perfect, but it looks pretty good. It retains the shock of Episode V. And it does sound like watching III and VI back-to-back would provide a nice compare-and-contrast between Luke and Anakin.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 12:50:41 pm »
+1

Maybe it's because I was 9 when it came out, but I actually have a fondness for Episode I, and even view it as a stronger movie than the other two prequels.  So while I definitely would try Machete order, I'd want to somehow sneak Episode I in there.  Probably after Return of the Jedi.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

Maybe it's because I was 9 when it came out

This. Jar Jar is pretty awesome when you're a kid.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »

... and I thought Episode:I was considered to age well ...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »
+2

Also: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Raise your hand if you DON'T want a Disney castle whistling "When You Wish Upon a Star" in front of a Star Wars movie.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »

I'm hoping for Darth Vader hanging out in Space Mountain.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »

Also: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Raise your hand if you DON'T want a Disney castle whistling "When You Wish Upon a Star" in front of a Star Wars movie.

Spotlights or no deal.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

Ewoks are also awesome when you're a kid. But when I look back at RotJ, I realize that the little bastards just didn't belong and detracted from the main storyline.

I do remember laughing at the Ewok whacking himself with the sling. I do remember laughing at how clever it was that Chewbacca did the Tarzan yell. I even laughed at both burp jokes.

Today, I shake my head at those scenes and wish it kept the same tone as IV and V.

So, yeah, I'm not arguing that Jar Jar isn't awesome for kids, but his inclusion not only didn't contribute anything worthwhile to the movie, but it actually detracted from the main storyline (as flimsy as it was). 

But there's a lot to be said about nostalgia. I have fond memories growing up with Commando and will probably watch it again if it comes on. But it's a bad movie, no doubt about it. There is a difference in how two people can view the same movie if one is a kid while the other is an adult.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »
+1

But there's a lot to be said about nostalgia. I have fond memories growing up with Commando and will probably watch it again if it comes on. But it's a bad movie, no doubt about it. There is a difference in how two people can view the same movie if one is a kid while the other is an adult.

There are a couple films that I adore that everyone else seems to hate, simply because of nostalgia.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »

Can't get any worse. I assume someone has already said this, but tl;dr.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:52 pm »
+1

Speaking as someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie, but has seen many parodies of it and has read all of Darths & Droids, I'll probably try Machete order at some point. Warped portrayal of first movie from D&D = sufficient? Who knows.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »

Speaking as someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie, but has seen many parodies of it and has read all of Darths & Droids, I'll probably try Machete order at some point. Warped portrayal of first movie from D&D = sufficient? Who knows.

Well now I know what I'll be reading my spare/procrastination time.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:45 pm »

I'm totally pro-Ewok. Can we talk about the Ewok movies? anyone remember those? (there were two, right?) Disney could totally make more of those. Ewoks are the best.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:21 pm »

I'm totally pro-Ewok. Can we talk about the Ewok movies? anyone remember those? (there were two, right?) Disney could totally make more of those. Ewoks are the best.
Never trust Ewok rope. That's the main lesson I've learned.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:34 am »

Race of little furry savages? I'm cool with that. The antics in RotJ that turn an otherwise decent battle scene into the Keystone Kops? Not so much.

I don't even mind the interaction between the Ewoks and the Rebels when they first meet.
A man has no signature

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 09:00:12 am »

This is the most incredible webcomic

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »

Discovering D & D just made my day. And ruined all productivity for today.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

... the proposals to view Star Wars in machete order?

>mfw machete order

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »
+1

Then you're fairly lucky; it ruined my productivity for several days.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »

I do so love the Comic Irregular's work. I still follow Irregular Webcomic for the "Director's commentary" and Sunday essays, I regularly read D&D (or as I describe it to those I want to read it, "the webcomic that introduced 'Jar-Jar, you're a genius' non-sarcastically") and all the mezzacotta's except for the main one, and even have a couple of SRoMG and LMoO comics up.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »

Oh man, this track is gold.  See the comments referring to how, in the comic universe, Star Wars doesn't exist and the Comic Irregulars are doing a comic based on Harry Potter.  And then follow the link on THAT one...

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:53 pm »

Ah, but it starts (ostensibly) here.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012, 12:04:45 am »

Star Wars >
A man on a mission.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »
+1

Then you're fairly lucky; it ruined my productivity for several days.

WHERE DID THE WEEK GO

Also, I'm surprised they haven't done anything on the Disney announcement. 

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
+3

SO I've mathematically determined the best possible plot for Star Wars VII:

The entire thing takes place in the Galactic Senate chamber and chronicles the minutia of a trade dispute between the Ewoks and the Gungans. The only established character from the franchise is Jar Jar Binks, who has been made Chancellor.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »
+1

The entire thing takes place in the Galactic Senate chamber and chronicles the minutia of a trade dispute between the Ewoks and the Gungans. The only established character from the franchise is Jar Jar Binks, who has been made Chancellor.

Wouldn't he be dead by then?  Murder seems the most likely situation, but old age would require him to be dead, also.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »

Wouldn't he be dead by then?  Murder seems the most likely situation, but old age would require him to be dead, also.

IRRELEVANT!!!!!! THE POWER OF BEING OBNOXIOUS KEEPS JAR JAR AND THE EWOKS ALIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »
+1

IRRELEVANT!!!!!! THE POWER OF BEING OBNOXIOUS KEEPS JAR JAR AND THE EWOKS ALIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!

You are not allowed to hate the Ewoks.  -1.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
+2

Obviously a mysterious person hired the Kaminoans to create a clone army of Jar-Jars and keep them on ice.

He/him

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 10:54:20 pm »
+1

Obviously a mysterious person hired the Kaminoans to create a clone army of Jar-Jars and keep them on ice.
Also, Jar-Jar is made of midichlorians.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »

Supposedly they want to release 2 to 3 star wars films a year starting in 2015
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

Supposedly they want to release 2 to 3 star wars films a year starting in 2015

I think its the other way around.  1 star wars film, every 2-3 years, starting in 2015. 

2-3 films / year == giant boner.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »
+2

I have a bad feeling about this

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 02:00:32 pm »

I'm extremely optimistic. 

The option to watch a star wars movie is better than no option. 

A star wars movie doesn't need to be a blockbuster.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »

Also, there's a highly technical discussion of the midi-chlorians, which is summed up by a scientist who observes, "As it turns out, there's really nothing mystical at all about the Force."

Best. Sequel. Ever.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2012, 03:27:19 pm »

The trade dispute is about medical device regulations, as they pertain to the midichlorian injectors that the Gungans want to import through Ewok space so they can make all the Gungans into Jedi.

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2012, 04:02:35 pm »

Whats the isssue with Midi-chlorians?  (Other than the obvious "Lucas is making a Calvinball universe in which he'll invent shit whenever he wants for no reason)

I mean, if the "force" is stronger with some people than it is with others, its rational for there to be some manner of reason for it

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 08:44:54 pm »
+1

Whats the isssue with Midi-chlorians?  (Other than the obvious "Lucas is making a Calvinball universe in which he'll invent shit whenever he wants for no reason)

I mean, if the "force" is stronger with some people than it is with others, its rational for there to be some manner of reason for it

Apparently Lucas knew about all this stuff beforehand, he just started off in the middle because that would have more action.  The Force was always midi-chlorians, just like Pluto was never a planet.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 09:12:59 pm »

I'm extremely optimistic. 

The option to watch a star wars movie is better than no option. 

A star wars movie doesn't need to be a blockbuster.

I am too. Just not so much about 2-3 movies per year...I thought it was supposed to be 1 Star Wars film every 2-3 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 3.862 seconds with 20 queries.