Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Boston  (Read 2536 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Boston
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:18:44 pm »

The explosions were about a 5 minute walk from the house I used to live in. Seems like all my friends are ok, though. Crazy stuff...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:54:02 pm »

Targeting a happy, hopeful event like the Boston Marathon? Asses!
A man has no signature

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:37:23 pm »

my father was supposed to run in the race, but suffered an injury just a few weeks ago that kept him from attending... He just texted me and he said that his typical marathon time is 4:10:00. Almost exactly when the first bomb went off. He was really bummed he would miss this race as he has been gunning for it for almost 10 years and finally qualified. But counted himself as very fortunate that he missed it after seeing what happened.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »

It's horrible. I'm in a newsroom, so we've had it on all day. Really, just such a terrible thing. My thoughts are with everyone in Boston.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:59:58 pm »

I was in my office a mile from the finish line when this went down. I can't believe this really happened. I'm watching footage on TV of a bomb going off in a spot I was standing in yesterday afternoon. I spent the afternoon checking if all my friends were safe. Just unreal...

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »

Photos of official suspects released. Didn't take too long. Planting a bomb in a place where there are hundreds of cameras pointed at you is pretty fucking stupid.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:40:55 pm »

So I completely forgot about xkcd's What If?s for a while and only just remembered. I've not read the article yet, but last week's was "Am I right to be afraid of pressure cookers?" What the actual fuck?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 07:45:14 pm »

Uh, wrong thread TINAS? I mean it's a valid point, just seems a little... out of place...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »

No I mean... The timing of that article the week before this happened is just crazy. Obviously it's unrelated (or at least I hope so), but it's just such a huge coincidence.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 07:59:17 pm »

I don't see the relevance between Pressure Cookers and Terrorist attacks...
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:03:22 pm »

I don't see the relevance between Pressure Cookers and Terrorist attacks...

The bombs in Boston on Monday were made from pressure cookers filled with metal. Nails and ball bearings and so forth.

I noticed the xkcd thing also, TINAS, but apparently pressure cooker bombs have been common for a while in Iraq and Afghanistan anyway. No reason to think they were influenced at all by the whatif thing.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:27 pm »

Oh, right. I haven't really been following the bombings. That makes a lot of sense, then, and is pretty jarring :-/

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:31 pm »

Yeah, when I saw that the bombs were made from pressure cookers I thought of the xkcd connection immediately, laughed, and then felt like a horrible person.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 11:02:02 am »
+2

A part of me was hoping that the perpetrators were home-grown. Not that I prefer domestic terrorism over international terrorism, but this just adds fuel to the xenophobia that has gripped a good chunk of America. When people automatically assume that a bombing was caused by a Muslim, I snarkily reply, "Just like the Oklahoma City bombing."

But it really sucks when that stereotype gets validated, because that makes things more difficult for peace-loving Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent.

I'm not sure how true this is, but a friend posted about a man who assaulted a woman of Middle Eastern descent because of the Boston tragedy. These acts just fuel this asshole's behavior. I really hope that story isn't true, but I remember the irrational behavior of people following the 9/11 attacks.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 07:14:16 pm »

A part of me was hoping that the perpetrators were home-grown. Not that I prefer domestic terrorism over international terrorism, but this just adds fuel to the xenophobia that has gripped a good chunk of America. When people automatically assume that a bombing was caused by a Muslim, I snarkily reply, "Just like the Oklahoma City bombing."

But it really sucks when that stereotype gets validated, because that makes things more difficult for peace-loving Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent.

I'm not sure how true this is, but a friend posted about a man who assaulted a woman of Middle Eastern descent because of the Boston tragedy. These acts just fuel this asshole's behavior. I really hope that story isn't true, but I remember the irrational behavior of people following the 9/11 attacks.

Absolutely agreed.  I mean... look.  Disgusting behaviour.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.