Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mercenary  (Read 1892 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Mercenary
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:03:09 am »
+1

Why is the cost for the benefits of Mercenary so severe?  Do you really need to have to trash two cards in order to play a Militia that draws 2 cards that upgraded out of a $3 cost card?  I appreciate the nod to Steward, as well as the flavor, but it just seems somewhat harsh.  Compare to Goons.  Goons is a Militia that in addition actively increases your score, and I don't have to trash anything to play it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:23:50 am »

I usually only get Mercenary if I want to use the trashing, myself.  If you already did trashing before getting the Mercenary, bad things can happen, though... I think the card is best in junking games for sure.  Mercenary laughs at Ambassador.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:22 am »

Yeah, I've found it can be great if it's the only trasher, but otherwise, just not convinced.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:51:25 am »
+1

Mercenary worked for me in a game where I spammed Fortresses, and against Sea Hag.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:29:53 am »

One thing I've noticed with Mercenary in 3- or 4-player games is that it's not that strong. You will often end up with a hand of 1 Mercenary and 2 other cards. Trashing your hand for a blind draw of two cards is not really that good.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:00:24 am »

One thing I've noticed with Mercenary in 3- or 4-player games is that it's not that strong. You will often end up with a hand of 1 Mercenary and 2 other cards. Trashing your hand for a blind draw of two cards is not really that good.

... But if you have only 3 cards in hand to start, it's presumably because someone else Mercenary'd *you*... and if Mercenary is the card responsible for putting you in such a bad spot, it stands to reason that it's not a bad card, hm? :) Besides, you get +$2 in addition to the blind draw, which means you will usually be able to buy at least Silver (or another Urchin...).

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:13:01 am »

Saboteur isn't a great card, even though it can grind down a 6 player game to nothingness. Thing is that you often end up in a situation where you are constantly trading two cards for one new. And that's not really good, is it? In a Milita game you will get to 8 eventually, but if you constantly trash two cards for a new and shiny Silver, you're not going to get very far. In a 4-player game where 3 players goes for Mercenaries, the fourth player will almost always win. At least in my experience.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »

Last night before going to bed, I was thinking Mercenary isn't so great. First, you need to buy at least two Urchin's (usually for your opening), which sort of loses you tempo, have the Urchins collide, and then you have to trash before you draw. It is good, but it depends on the board. Although, I see this being a trap card many newer players will fall for.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »
+1

Last night before going to bed, I was thinking Mercenary isn't so great. First, you need to buy at least two Urchin's (usually for your opening), which sort of loses you tempo, have the Urchins collide, and then you have to trash before you draw. It is good, but it depends on the board. Although, I see this being a trap card many newer players will fall for.

You can also have Urchin + Other Attack.

As others have said, Mercenary is strong when you need the trashing or if there is no other trashing.  If you already have trashing, Mercenary is not as good.  And that's OK -- it doesn't have to be amazing all the time.  The super strength in certain scenarios justifies the difficulty in grabbing it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.572 seconds with 21 queries.