Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I ignore City in a three-pile rush  (Read 1470 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
I ignore City in a three-pile rush
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:08:51 am »

Worker's Village, Highway (the two cards at the core of it, obviously), Witch (piling the Curses and making use of the surplus actions from WV to build a half-decent draw engine), Bishop and Loan (for light trashing) combine to create the perfect storm. Not really sure exactly what opponent was going for - but I'm guessing that buying Cities wouldn't really have helped him, since I have so much more control over the game timing as I consistently have more Highways and WVs. On the last turn I can just barely afford the Province that puts me into the point lead as I simultaneously pile out - taking two Cities with surplus Buys more to show off than anything else :) (They could just as easily have been Duchies, allowing me to recover from a larger deficit)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/28/game-20121028-010157-803f0300.html

khanh93

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: I ignore City in a three-pile rush
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:33:53 am »

Pilling out on cities is not "showing off"; the duchies would not have won you the game that turn.

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »

Pilling out on cities is not "showing off"; the duchies would not have won you the game that turn.

You do noticed, that cities were not one of those 3 piles, yes?

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:20:20 pm »

I guess it's still a pretty strange sort of 'showing off' - more just something that amused me when I realized how they'd been ignored on what initially looks like a great board for them. City is weird; you really need a plan to control the timing, but you also have to fight for the City pile itself...

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:44 am »

Well played.

I'd say that the actual key to your victory here was your choice of Silver/Bishop over Loan/Bishop.
Your opponent kept himself off $5 on Turn 3 AND Turn 5 from that choice, and that was critical.

In contrast, your money meant you had a good chance of getting the early Witch, which was the key way to breaking the Highway cascade, and also meant a better chance of getting more Highways faster.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.