Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: What's your username mean  (Read 28970 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: What's your username mean
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
+1

Means badass~ just finished reading got when i started playing on iso, first game ever really played online
LOL, that's how ARIA is spelled?  How do they spell Needle?

I'm listening to GOT on audio, so I haven't seen any names in print, and the Stark part never registered. She's my favorite remaining character.  However, I just finished book 2 yesterday, and I'm kind of bummed at the latest developments.  Seems like all the good guys are losing, and the bad guys are winning.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 09:20:12 pm »

Means badass~ just finished reading got when i started playing on iso, first game ever really played online

I'm listening to GOT on audio, so I haven't seen any names in print, and the Stark part never registered. She's my favorite remaining character.  However, I just finished book 2 yesterday, and I'm kind of bummed at the latest developments.  Seems like all the good guys are losing, and the bad guys are winning.
I was thrown for a loop when they pronounced it "Aria" in the show.  I had been reading it as "Are ya."
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »

And that's how I was reading her logon.
Posting begets posting.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:29 pm »

Don't worry, things start getting better.

Nope.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »

I don't even want to read the spoiler, cause it's too short to be "winter's coming".

Seriously though: Is it worth continuing?  I wouldn't have any trouble letting it go.  It moves a little slow, and my GF has already explained that in book 4, he diverts to updating the reader on only half the characters.  You have to get to book 5 to see what's going on with the other half of the folks you may be interested in.  And 6 hasn't even been finished.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:26:40 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »

I don't even want to read the spoiler, cause it's too short to be "winter's coming".

Seriously though: Is it worth continuing?  I wouldn't have any trouble letting it go.  It moves a little slow, and my GF has already explained that in book 4, he diverts to updating the reader on only half the characters.  You have to get to book 5 to see what's going on with the other half of the folks you may be interested in.  And 6 hasn't even been finished.

I say go for it. I skipped the first two books on the assurances from my friends who had both seen the show and read the books that it was redundant to do both.  I burned through Book 3 really quickly...in only a few weeks, which is not much for a 1100-pager. Very mild spoiler about whether you should continue: I would say, though, that if you don't find seeing things from Jaime, Cersei, or Tyrion's perspective interesting -- if you only like the Starks -- then yeah it gets pretty bad.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:36 pm »
+1

It is very much worth it. It is a fantastic series. It's just not very feel good. Ever. GMMR could have called it 'It gets worse: the series.'

I think as you read also, your opinions of certain characters will change and you'll grow to like them. Pretty much any character, when you get to read their POV, you'll grow to like, with a couple of exceptions. And then once you get to like them, they die.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 11:41:22 pm »
+3

I say go for it. I skipped the first two books on the assurances from my friends who had both seen the show and read the books that it was redundant to do both.  I burned through Book 3 really quickly...in only a few weeks, which is not much for a 1100-pager. Very mild spoiler about whether you should continue: I would say, though, that if you don't find seeing things from Jaime, Cersei, or Tyrion's perspective interesting -- if you only like the Starks -- then yeah it gets pretty bad.

One of my favorite parts about the series is how characters that I did not like became characters I liked.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 11:42:15 pm »

Also, are you kidding?  It's absolutely worth it, if only because Book 3 is easily the best book of the series so far.

I'd rank them as:

3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:26 pm »

One of my favorite parts about the series is how characters that I did not like became characters I liked.
QFT.

Also before the thread gets too derailed: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5257.new#new
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:25 am »
+1

Also, are you kidding?  It's absolutely worth it, if only because Book 3 is easily the best book of the series so far.

I'd rank them as:

3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4

Agree about book 3, disagree about the rest of your order.

3>4>2>5>1 for me so far. But I am only halfway through book 5, fyi.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 05:25:54 am »
+2

1 was the best, awesome ending that nobody saw coming.

And if you dont like the bad guys winning, Game of Thronesmay not be the book for you, essentially there are no 'bad guys', well, in effect there are actually very very few 'good guys'

Thats part of the reason its so brilliant
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:30 am »
+1

That's a nickname I had since I was a kid. I forgot where it came from.

Later I learnt that it means "fuck you" in Greek ... I hope it's a coincidence.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:00 pm »

Halcyon is a real word. :)

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:28 pm »

"Halcion or triazolam, an insomnia drug"
How far back do you and insomniac go?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:53 pm »
+2

1 was the best, awesome ending that nobody saw coming.

And if you dont like the bad guys winning, Game of Thronesmay not be the book for you, essentially there are no 'bad guys', well, in effect there are actually very very few 'good guys'

Thats part of the reason its so brilliant

Nah, he just kills all the good guys off by the end of the first book.

I stopped reading shortly after that.  I assume the last half of the last book is going to have no characters, just descriptions of scenery and uneaten meals.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2013, 05:17:07 am »

I think it's a big mistake to look at GoT as Good vs Evil.

I mean, there's a history lesson there, the "good" ones are just the ones who survive and get to tell history through their eyes.
Look at it from the Lannister's perspective: You're just chilling in your castle, minding your own business, raising taxes, raping women, beating slaves, killing insubordinates and there comes Stannis crashing your party. How mean!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:41 am »
+1

I remember when we used to use words like that. Man, those were simpler times.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 07:06:58 am »

Now what does that have to do with Game of Thrones? Oh, wait.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 07:25:23 am »

I'd rank them as:

3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4

Agree about book 3, disagree about the rest of your order.

3>4>2>5>1 for me so far. But I am only halfway through book 5, fyi.

3>2>1>4>5

Though I still like 4 pretty much, big gap between that and 5.
2 mostly because it has the Theon coming back home scene, which I love so, so, so much.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:41 am »

I'll pipe in because I just finished book 5 last night.

What is irking me in these later books is sloppiness. The early books were very well written and very well edited. But these later ones seem to have been put out in a rush. Typos, misspellings... I counted at least 5 times where it said "Sir" instead of "Ser." If you are going to change something so basic like that it had better be consistent throughout the whole book! Now I imagine his publisher is to blame more than Martin for rushing what is a huge book and incredible storyline...

The other thing that is driving me crazy is the deviation Martin took from focusing on ~9 characters and telling just their story. I loved that in the first few. But now there are minor characters who get a chapter a piece to tell their side. And frankly, I just don't care about them... I realize that as characters die off, Martin needs to replace them so he isn't just telling the story about ~5 characters. But I would rather him pick a few and just focus on them. Because now I have been reading about these characters that I just dont' care about. And when I don't care about a character, I stop reading and when I stop reading I don't buy book 6! But I probably will buy book 6 because enough characters I do care about are still alive and kicking (barely!)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:04 am »

That was bad.  You should feel bad about making me groan.

+1
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
+1

Every time I sign up for something on the internet I debate whether to use my real name. I go back and forth on whether anonymity on the internet is a good thing. And then if you don't use your name, picking a username is such a difficult choice....

In any case, on Isotropic, Goko, and on this forum I am going by Polk5440 (pronounced "Polk fifty-four forty" or "Polk" for short). This is a reference to the last strong pre-Civil War American President James K. Polk and his slogan "54'40" or fight" (his slogan for trying to stake claim to the Oregon Country for US expansion). Polk strongly supported US expansion and as President-elect presided over the annexation of Texas. As President he acquired part of the Oregon Country (settling for the 49th parallel rather than the 54th) and won the Mexican-American War which resulted in acquiring most of the rest of the western states. I like using this name when playing games of conquest -- it seems very fitting. And since Dominion is loosely thematically about having the most territory, I play under it here.  Also, like others have mentioned, when I first got on the internet, I was under the impression numbers were required in usernames, so they seem normal to me now.

Related is the Avatar. The painting Napoleon Crossing the Alps by Jean-Louis David is related in theme to my username and is a painting I like a lot. The fact that it is used as the Tactician image on Iso is really cool, and as Tactician is one of my favorite cards, made it an easy pick.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 10:26:11 am »

This is a reference to the last strong pre-Civil War American President James K. Polk and his slogan "54'40" or fight" (his slogan for trying to stake claim to the Oregon Country for US expansion).

Relevant:  http://tmbw.net/wiki/James_K._Polk

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:25 am »

I did not know that a song existed!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 1.35 seconds with 20 queries.