Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It is apparently now possible to play with no actions at all  (Read 2129 times)

paulbaxter

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: It is apparently now possible to play with no actions at all
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:35:34 pm »

Fun, but having Quarry there seems a little silly, doesn't it? I'd have used Contraband or Horn of Plenty instead.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 04:55:31 pm »

Potion and Philosopher's Stone take up two whole slots Ok, they don't, but Philosopher's stone is still a relatively boring and luck-based card. Plus, for all these different sources of coins, and you get no +buy!? That would get pretty monotonous. Contraband is a must.

Here's what I would go with:

Fool's Gold, Loan, Tunnel, Contraband, Venture, Duke, Ill-Gotten Gains, Horn of Plenty, Farmland, Bank (and Platinum and Colony)

Bank doesn't add much interest on its own, but it's there for so that, via Farmland, you can trash a $5 card into something else (or else it can be trashed for a Platinum).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:02:13 pm by Diving Pikachu »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:59:58 pm »

Potion and Philosopher's Stone don't take up two slots; Potion isn't a Kingdom card. I don't think Philosopher's Stone is that luck-based, either.

That said, when I play a Treasure-sampler Kingdom like this, I usually use eight treasures plus Mint and Mine, which give a little more variety to the things you can do.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »

Or Loan, where is loan? (almost) Every shot hits its target!

Still, remove some of the obviously useless cards and put in some of the already mentioned, and this becomes a nice board to play once to learn quite something about treasure cards. Even some nice little interactions can be thought of, like Ill-Gotten Gains + Bank or try Talisman for Fool's Gold. Not too impressive, but worth a try.

@Pikachu: Tunnel while the only cards able to discard are Loan and Venture? Hm. And it breaks the "only treasure cards" theme.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »

The title only mentioned the absence of treasure cards. That's why I included Farmlands and Duke as well. And, AJD, if PS's worth will vary wildly depending on what part of the shuffle you draw it, how is that not luck?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 05:22:55 pm »

Most of these sets, including the one proposed by Diving Pikachu, are likely not very interesting because Loan/Venture is going to be almost impossible to stop.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »

The title only mentioned the absence of treasure cards. That's why I included Farmlands and Duke as well. And, AJD, if PS's worth will vary wildly depending on what part of the shuffle you draw it, how is that not luck?

Philosopher's Stone counts both your draw pile AND discard pile, so it doesn't matter what point in a shuffle you draw it.  The determining factors are only deck size and hand size.  In this kingdom, it's probably pretty good, because you have no trashing, nor any way to build a draw engine with actions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.505 seconds with 21 queries.