Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 67550 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »

I downloaded The Unfinished Swan (for PS3) today from the Playstation Store, and have played about 20 minutes (to the first autosave). 

This sounds most intriguing. We just got a new PS3 this weekend, so getting this through the store is a distinct possibility. My wife gets vertigo, which is why she doesn't play FPS. Knowing that she can't play Team Fortress or Halo, how does the Unfinished Swan compare in terms of first-person immersion?

-snip-
Tell me the freakin' key to press, you choad.
-snip-
+1 for choad, and +1 for the acknowledging the stupidity dis-functionality of their omission.

I can't speak to vertigo, which in the strict medical sense is a feeling of motion when one is stationary.  But I too cannot play FPS, because they make me seasick, and the two maladies are bound to be related, regardless of the proper terms of art.  FULL DISCLOSURE:  Unfinished Swan is making me sick too, but please read on, as there are MANY factors that may potentially mitigate this issue for your wife.

The game is not a true FPS, though the perspective is definitely first person. First, you are not taking fire from an enemy (there is no enemy).  Therefore, (at least up to where I currently am) there are no pressures regarding time/movement/life points, so you have the option of moving slowly. I suspect if I played it more slowly, I would not be affected as much. Also, movement through the landscape is often (though not always) linear, through hallways, etc, so the amount of turning your "head" to look around is reduced compared to the few FPS I've tried (Call of Duty and Uncharted are the only ones that come to mind).  The "shooting" part is a bit of a misnomer, as you don't see a gun barrel.  What you see is a very small circular reticle, and when you "fire", you see a black paintball leave your vicinity headed toward the "target".  It splashes paint on whatever it was aimed at, and from that you begin to get info into your surroundings.  It is basically an exploration game, but not in the sense of Zelda.

I think the game would be worth a try, both for your wife (given the above) and for you.  It's a lot less expensive ($14.99 US) than a lot of games. (I felt like I got that much value in the first 20 minutes, even if I had let it go at that point.)  The concept is completely fresh (which is hard to do).  The artwork is stunning, and keeps getting better.  The instruction manual was essentially one page (with no hanging choads). I am now about 45 minutes in, just past the 3rd autosave.  The artwork keeps getting more expansive (I've reached my first long distance vista, and WOW).  Apparently, as gamestate challenges are added, other artwork cues are added to help reduce the painting burden (for instance, shadows are now being supplied).

Finally: I am not a doctor, and am not giving medical advice, but I have found that meclizine, the active ingredient in the anti-seasickness med Bonine (TM) helps me a great deal with the seasick thing.  It's available over-the-counter, and is really inexpensive (don't pay for the brand name stuff it's hideously expensive).  I think a bottle of 100 tablets cost me about six bucks - ask the pharmacist directly.  I keep it around mostly for diving boats, but I took a dose before playing the game the second time and it helped.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:48:06 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2012, 12:58:37 pm »

I got nauseated playing Half Life 2.  Upon further investigation, it had to do with a field of view set too narrow.

Here's an article on the subject: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_207/6197-Wired-Differently

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:03 am »

I got nauseated playing Half Life 2.  Upon further investigation, it had to do with a field of view set too narrow.

Here's an article on the subject: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_207/6197-Wired-Differently
I remember that, and increasing my FoV settings accordingly made it much more playable.

I love the Professor Layton series on the DS, but unfortunately the new ones are only coming out for the 3DS.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2012, 02:35:06 am »

I got a 3DS just for the Layton games, Phoenix Wright 5, Castlevania and Fire Emblem.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »

Whoa this totally happened to me to. I may retry it now that I know it can be fixed.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »

Whoa this totally happened to me to. I may retry it now that I know it can be fixed.
Here is some info about it: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Field_of_View

Funny enough, they consider changing the FOV a cheat, even for singleplayer, so you have to switch on cheatmode first.  :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »

I got a 3DS just for the Layton games, Phoenix Wright 5, Castlevania and Fire Emblem.

I am excited for Awakening, but I don't think I will get a 3DS.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2012, 02:41:10 am »

It's a handheld FE. Of course you need to get a 3DS for that. ;)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:18 am »

Of course. I'm just saying that I'm excited for a game that I won't get.

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »

I bought a vita just for the Persona 4 remake...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2012, 10:15:12 pm »

Oh hey another Fire Emblem fan. I do find it kinda amusing that two of my favourite games are Fire Emblem and Dominion, and there's someone here who also likes both, except he's one of the best in the world at both of them (well, certainly well beyond me, at least).
I managed to pick up an as-new 3DS a month or two back, but haven't gotten any games yet. Fire Emblem was the main thing that made me decide to get it, but I also intend to pick up OoT3D, Paper Mario, Mario 3D Land, possibly NSMB2, and one or two other games at some point.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
+1

I'm very late to this party, but
1. Portal and Portal 2 are really good
2. Portal 2 is on sale for $5, ending in ~12 hours.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2012, 12:36:35 am »

Where is Portal 2 on sale?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2012, 12:37:34 am »

Where is Portal 2 on sale?

Nvm, found it on Steam.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:21 am »

I managed to pick up an as-new 3DS a month or two back, but haven't gotten any games yet. Fire Emblem was the main thing that made me decide to get it, but I also intend to pick up OoT3D, Paper Mario, Mario 3D Land, possibly NSMB2, and one or two other games at some point.

You should probably check out the Ghost Recon game that was released along with 3DS. I've played it a bit, and it plays somewhat like Fire Emblem. It's not as good, but it's still a fun turn based tactic game.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2012, 07:19:31 am »

Any of you on POTCO?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2012, 01:34:56 pm »

So I guess this is the most fitting place to post:

I've been playing lots of free/bootleg MTG using the free program Cockatrice lately.  I usually was bored to various extents by Standard (like, it's fun to play netdecks when you are at a physical store and there are packs on the line, but virtually it can be kinda dull), but lately I've been playing a growing format called EDH (there's a super casual version and a competitive tightwad version, I play the latter) that's lots of fun.  You only play one copy of each card, a hundred card deck, and you have a higher starting life total.  There's lots of brewing, and lots of interesting play decisions too.

If anyone wants to check it out let me know.  Or even if you want to play a different format, that's cool, I'm game.
[/pluggery]

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:32 am »
+1

I'm a bit slow in getting games, but I finally downloaded the demo for Orcs Must Die based on recommendations here. I enjoyed it enough to purchase the package (the fact that Steam had a 75% discount helped too).

Definitely a fun little game that is cutting dangerously into my Assassin's Creed 2 time now that I've overcome my Assassin's Creed rage. Although, AC2 also makes me rage a little ("No, you idiot, don't climb the wall; hit the guy that's beating the shit out of you. Goddammit, now I can't see what's going on because the camera moved behind a curtain. You better still be alive when I can see you again."), so Orcs Must Die provides a pleasant distraction. I just need to get better at it so I can get more skulls. I was able to rock the first three levels, but I now find myself only getting 2 skulls a level. I figure I can go back to those after I unlock more abilities. Maybe that's the intent? Don't know.

I did have my first run-in with an Ogre. Not getting close to one of those guys any time soon.

The fact that the main character is such a douchebag is a nice touch.
A man has no signature

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:32 am »

Orcs Must Die is great.  I made it a personal goal to 5-skull the levels my first time through.  There's a harder difficulty level after, for when you have all weapons unlocked.  Unlike most Tower-Defense games, there is no scoring incentive to end the level with extra money.  So spend it all!  You'll get 4 skulls if no bad guys get through, and then the 5th skull is based on a time limit.  So you want to be fast, but there's no need to be frugal.

I just installed Assassins's Creed 2 last night, and plan to play that when I'm not spending all my time in Guild Wars 2.  MMOs man... why can't I quit you?

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:11 pm »

I'm a bit slow in getting games, but I finally downloaded the demo for Orcs Must Die based on recommendations here. I enjoyed it enough to purchase the package (the fact that Steam had a 75% discount helped too).

Definitely a fun little game that is cutting dangerously into my Assassin's Creed 2 time now that I've overcome my Assassin's Creed rage. Although, AC2 also makes me rage a little ("No, you idiot, don't climb the wall; hit the guy that's beating the shit out of you. Goddammit, now I can't see what's going on because the camera moved behind a curtain. You better still be alive when I can see you again."), so Orcs Must Die provides a pleasant distraction. I just need to get better at it so I can get more skulls. I was able to rock the first three levels, but I now find myself only getting 2 skulls a level. I figure I can go back to those after I unlock more abilities. Maybe that's the intent? Don't know.

I did have my first run-in with an Ogre. Not getting close to one of those guys any time soon.

The fact that the main character is such a douchebag is a nice touch.

When I played through OMD the first time, I played the Apprentice level of difficulty first, which on the one hand limits you to a max of 2 skulls per level, but on the other allows you to get access to all of the new traps/weapons/spells.  After Apprentice, I went through Warmage and Nightmare levels, tons and tons of fun.

Then I went back and played through OMD again with a new, clean character, and was able to 5-skull all of the Warmage levels without the unlocks of future levels.  So it IS doable, but I couldn't have done it that first time through.

OMD is such a blast.  Good luck with those Ogres -- just wait until you meet fire/ice/armored versions.  :-X

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:03 pm »
+1

OMD2's coop mode is great, but I really wish you didn't have such limited numbers of slots.

Also, I've gotten to the point where I have so many skulls but nothing to spend them on.  Can't I convert them into coins for the levels?

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

OMD2's coop mode is great, but I really wish you didn't have such limited numbers of slots.

Also, I've gotten to the point where I have so many skulls but nothing to spend them on.  Can't I convert them into coins for the levels?

Point #2 is one of the very few downsides to OMD2 over OMD.  In OMD, I loved that maxing out all skulls from top-performance in EACH level was the only way to max out all traps/spells/weapons.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:16 am »

All right, it's official. I hate the Assassin's Creed series. I suffered the first one only because a friend of mine said the second one is so much better. Fine, I can endure a little ennui to get to something interesting. I was so disappointed with the first one that I put the game on hiatus for a few months. When my gamer rage settled (thanks to some very fun Team Fortress 2 and XCom), I started up part 2.

Hey, the gameplay was better. Well, mostly. At least I was able to walk past guards without needing to slow to a crawl. Fighting is still awkward, though, and I found myself leaping at walls during combat. Whatever. I can overcome that with good armor and medicine.

Now I'm at a point where I just can't progress. I guess it's doable, but someone took 20 minutes to get through that. Forget that. It's not worth my time and effort to try to time buttons just right. So now I am shelving that game. That's too bad, because the new PS3 we got came with Assassin's Creed 3. I hate to think we bought the more expensive version just to get a game that I'll probably have to give away. AC2 has been an utter disappointment for me, and it showed such promise. I don't think I can bring myself to play AC3 and risk further disappointment...not to mention I won't know what happened at the end of 2. I guess that kind of letdown really bums me out. I could have been playing Orcs Must Die instead.
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2012, 04:35:23 am »
+1

Why are you all not playing Baldurs Gate Enhanced?!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:36 am »

Why are you all not playing Baldurs Gate Enhanced?!

I didn't get into the first Baldur's Gate. I tried, but it just didn't do it for me.

How is Enhanced so…enhanced?
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.