Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion Wiki  (Read 99386 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Wiki
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »
+1

I was looking for a bot which would be able to auto add internal links, since we are missing a lot, especially from copy/pasted articles, and it's rather tedious work. I didn't find a bot, but I did find an extension which might be able to make it easier which you might consider installing, Qvist.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Replace_Text

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2012, 02:25:44 am »
+1

I was looking for a bot which would be able to auto add internal links, since we are missing a lot, especially from copy/pasted articles, and it's rather tedious work. I didn't find a bot, but I did find an extension which might be able to make it easier which you might consider installing, Qvist.

This one http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikipediabot/replace.py might do something like that?

edit: But I'm not so sure on how many internal links we want to have. Do we want every mentioning of say "Province" to be a link? I think wikipedia only takes the first one?  In articles, it would perhaps be good to link the first one in text, and probably also every card mentioned in lists like "Combos".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:32:54 am by DStu »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:08 am »
+1

This one http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikipediabot/replace.py might do something like that?

edit: But I'm not so sure on how many internal links we want to have. Do we want every mentioning of say "Province" to be a link? I think wikipedia only takes the first one?  In articles, it would perhaps be good to link the first one in text, and probably also every card mentioned in lists like "Combos".

Yeah, linking every mention of "Province" in the Tournament article could get a little annoying after a while. I like the linking of the first mention in the article (or maybe section, if the sections are long). Also, in card lists or templates are good places to link as well.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
+1

Found a post on BoardGameGeek where someone transcribed the Hinterlands card FAQs* and the recommended sets of 10. Speaking of which, do we have a section for recommended sets

*looks like there are a couple edits in the posts below it
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:57:29 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »
+1

Speaking of which, do we have a section for recommended sets

Nope, but it's definitely something that would be a good addition! Maybe they could go on their expansion pages?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »

created pages for the 'cantrip' and 'village' family of cards. not quite sure what sort of organization you guys want to see with those sorts of groupings but it is a start.

also, as schneau suggests, the tactician page is coming along nicely and should probably be the example to build off from here on out. for expansions, i put a bunch of work into the hinterlands page and it is probably a decent comparison point for other expansion pages.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2012, 04:30:59 pm »
+1

Hinterlands is indeed coming along very nicely! One thing that might be nice for the expansions to have is a navbox of expansion-related things. One row of the navbox could have all of the cards in the expansion, but other rows could have things like other contents (VP tokens, mats, etc.), one could have links to mechanics in that set (durations, on-trash, etc.). Maybe this isn't the best of ideas, but either way it seems like it would be a good to have a list of all the cards in the expansion somewhere.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »

One thing that might be nice for the expansions to have is a navbox of expansion-related things. One row of the navbox could have all of the cards in the expansion, but other rows could have things like other contents (VP tokens, mats, etc.), one could have links to mechanics in that set (durations, on-trash, etc.). Maybe this isn't the best of ideas, but either way it seems like it would be a good to have a list of all the cards in the expansion somewhere.

that sounds good to me. im not sure how to implement it though. i have zero experience with these nav boxes or wiki editing in general. i've just been copying and pasting from other places.

i thought about including a straight list of all the cards but it just felt awkward to do. looking at the lists i started on the cantrip and village pages seems strange to me as it is, let alone on a page with a lot of other content.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2012, 10:32:26 am »
+4

i posted this in the FAQ feedback thread but i figured i'd post it here too. the wiki is coming along nicely, so i think i am just going to replace most of the FAQ with the relevant links to the wiki. it will trim up the forum FAQ drastically, and maintaining both separately seems silly. unless anyone objects i will probably get to it sometime today or this weekend.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »
+2

In the format of whoever created the page "Combo: Black Market and Tactician" I'm also creating more Combo pages. Titled "Combo: X and Y", in Category: Combo. Seems like a good format to me.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
+1

In the format of whoever created the page "Combo: Black Market and Tactician" I'm also creating more Combo pages. Titled "Combo: X and Y", in Category: Combo. Seems like a good format to me.

Yeah, I started the "Combo: Black Market and Tactician" page with the idea that we could have combo pages of the same format. Maybe they should even have a special info box and all that if we can think of things to put in it. And I agree, good to have a category for them. I think to keep things consistent it would be good to order the cards in the combo in alphabetical order (which is why I did it that way for BM + Tac).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2012, 09:06:22 am »
+1

What about 3card combos?

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2012, 10:13:33 am »
+1

What about 3card combos?

There's no reason not to. We don't have a specific 2-card format, so there shouldn't be anything different in 3-card combos. I'm sure things like KC-Goons-Masq pins will get their own articles, and other 3-card combos are welcomed as well.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2012, 11:32:50 am »
+1

What about 3card combos?

There's no reason not to. We don't have a specific 2-card format, so there shouldn't be anything different in 3-card combos. I'm sure things like KC-Goons-Masq pins will get their own articles, and other 3-card combos are welcomed as well.

If you put KC-Goons-Masq in alphabetical order it would be Goons-KC-Masq which doesn't look right, so maybe the order in the title should be order of play, if applicable.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2012, 01:47:30 pm »
+1

I think the various Masq combos would be covered on thr "pin" page and don't need individual ones. Kc goons masq, kc militia masq, kc outpost masq, theres so many.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »
+25

I see that there's a trivia section for each card, so here is all of the art trivia I can think of.

Bureaucrat: The art depicts the artist, Matthias Catrein.

Harem: The art depicts developer Valerie Putman. She's in the back, between the giant half face and the man.

Native Village: The art connects with Pirate Ship to the left.

Pearl Diver: The art depicts playtester Wei-Hwa Huang. He won a tournament at the Gathering of Friends where being depicted was the prize.

Island: The art connects with Pirate Ship to the right.

Navigator: The art depicts developer Dale Yu.

Pirate Ship: The art connects with Island to the left and Native Village to the right.

Bazaar: This art was turned in for Market, but by mistake another artist was also doing Market.

Scrying Pool: Village can be seen in the scrying pool.

City: This art was also used for the box for Carcassonne: The City.

Counting House: The art shows the victory point shield on the wall.

Goons: This art was turned in for Pawn.

Duchess: The art is related to the art for Duke.

Abandoned Mine: The art shows a ruined version of the art for Mine.

Mercenary: The art includes a dagger and red sash from Urchin.

Ruined Library: The art shows a ruined version of the art for Library.

Ruined Market: The art shows a ruined version of the art for Grand Market.

Ruined Village: The art shows a ruined version of the art for Walled Village.

Overgrown Estate: The art shows an overgrown version of the art for Estate, from Base Cards.

Storeroom: This art was turned in as an alternate option for Vault.

Sir Martin, Dame Anna, Dame Josephine, Sir Destry, Sir Michael, Sir Vander: The art depicts a playtester.

Pillage: The art shows Village, under attack.

Black Market: The expansion symbol is the Spielbox magazine symbol.

Envoy: The expansion symbol is the Wiener Riesenrad in Vienna.

Walled Village: The art shows the medieval village Carcassonne. The expansion symbol is a Carcassonne meeple.

Governor: The art continues art used for Puerto Rico: Anniversary Edition; the expansion symbol is from its cover.

Stash: The art includes faces of SdJ jury members on the coins. The expansion symbol is the award poppel.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2012, 03:32:51 pm »

I see that there's a trivia section for each card, so here is all of the art trivia I can think of.

thanks for the input.  updated.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2012, 05:06:22 pm »
+4

Hey, now even Donald X. himself contributes to the wiki.
Initialising this wiki already paid off.
Thanks for this insight.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »
+2

I expanded the article on cursers:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Curser

This seems like a decent structural template that can be used for families of cards (cursers, villages, terminal draw, etc.)—a short paragraph on general strategic points common to the card family; a list of the cards grouped by subtype; and then general trivia about the category.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »
+1

Articles on cards need some sort of intro. Any thoughts about the content and format of the intro?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2012, 09:12:23 pm »
+1

This is awesome Donald. Thanks as usual for contributing so much to the community!

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:40 pm »
+1

Articles on cards need some sort of intro. Any thoughts about the content and format of the intro?

I think the introductions to card articles should basically be an overview summary of the entire article. It should start by giving an English description of the card - type, expansion, and basically what it does. Then, it can include an overview of its uses and strategy. I think these shouldn't be too rigid - some cards may include different types of info than others.

I gave Tactician an intro like this, and while it's far from perfect and still needs some editing/additions, it can serve as a good example.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »
+2

I like to say some things I changed and noticed just to be sure that everybody reads it:

• If you link to cards, please be sure that you link to the singular version of the card. If the word is in plural, then just write [Duchy|Duchies] for example. This is a general rule, not only for card article names. We could add redirects, but not for all the cards.
  • You could also help fixing links by going to http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Special:WantedPages. You can use this page as base by creating new pages or finding broken links that should direct to another page.
  • I created a stub template with respective category. Any idea what categories/boxes we still need? The design of the box isn't so good, but we could still change it later. Other boxes could be created by using the Messagebox template. I tested the stub box here: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Donald_X._Vaccarino
  • I created an Illustrator navbox. This serves as a guide line for creating the Illustrator articles. Any idea how they should be structured?

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:27 pm »
+1

I like to say some things I changed and noticed just to be sure that everybody reads it:

• If you link to cards, please be sure that you link to the singular version of the card. If the word is in plural, then just write [Duchy|Duchies] for example. This is a general rule, not only for card article names. We could add redirects, but not for all the cards.
  • You could also help fixing links by going to http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Special:WantedPages. You can use this page as base by creating new pages or finding broken links that should direct to another page.
  • I created a stub template with respective category. Any idea what categories/boxes we still need? The design of the box isn't so good, but we could still change it later. Other boxes could be created by using the Messagebox template. I tested the stub box here: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Donald_X._Vaccarino
  • I created an Illustrator navbox. This serves as a guide line for creating the Illustrator articles. Any idea how they should be structured?

Excellent. I've been thinking and doing the first two things, and the stub and illustrator navbox look great. Though, it might be best to put the Stub box at the bottom.

I posted a few other things on the Main Page talk, but I'm not sure if they were seen, and maybe this is the right place to discuss them. They are:

Capitalization

It seems that we need some specific rules for capitalization. I never know if it should be Treasure or treasure, Action or action. For example, I always capitalize "Action" when I'm talking about a card type or phase, and lowercase "action" if it's talking about number of actions left in your Action phase. Is that correct? Or should it always be capitalized? Here are some capitalization rules; feel free to edit or add to this list (p.s. this should move to a style guide eventually):

Things that should be capitalized

- Card names
   - Expansions
   - Types
   - Phases (Action phase, Buy phase, Clean-up phase)
   - Vanilla bonuses (+Cards, +Actions, +Buy)
   - Victory points (is this right?)
   - Victory point tokens (is this right?)

Things that should be lowercase

- "actions" when used as number of actions left in your Action phase (is this right?) --Schneau (talk) 09:35, 2 November 2012 (EDT)

Coin symbol templates

It would be great to have small, text-sized coin symbols that could be used in-line with text. So, instead of putting +$4, you could put {{Coin4}}, and it would print the Dominion coin symbol with a 4 in it. These would be useful in a lot of places, and would look really nice. We could also have one without a number in it (that could be used in place of +Coins or +$ (like on Salvager), and one with a Potion symbol for Potion costs. I think I could make the templates if I had the coin images - if anyone has access to them and could upload them, that would be great!

I'm working a bit on the coin symbol templates, but someone else can take over if they'd like.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »
+1

I agree in general with the Capitalization and Coin templates would be really great.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.